denim on the 1020

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
that's because the 808 has a dedicated GPU for the downsampling - the 1020 doesn't have such a GPU.

Exactly this. It's overwhelming to see large quantities of people not having the slightest clue about anything, yet still complaining the heck about everything.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
So why does the older 808 takes faster shot than the 1020 if it's because of the hardware?

The 808 has a dedicated Broadcom chip which takes care of the image processing whereas the Lumia 1020 image processing is in the main SoC (2gb of RAM ) tuned for boost colours and sharpen detail.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
From what I have heard, it's not that the 1020 CAN'T have the improvements, it's that they would have to code them much differently for the older processors. Given that Windows 10 is right around the corner, it seems they have decided not to expend the effort. Obviously the results would not be as good as a Snapdragon 800 regardless, but they could certainly improve it a lot. It's very unfortunate.

I have purchased a used 1520 of eBay so that I will be able to play with the new camera improvements. My biggest problem with the whole situation is that Microsoft seems completely content with no flagship until W10 comes out in nine months or whatever. The icon and 1520 ate now discontinued, so they aren't even currently selling a phone that will be able to take advantage of the new camera benefits in full. The 830 is nice, but completely hobbled by the processor and the camera is only 10 megapixel. Completely ridiculous.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So the Adreno 225 on the 1020 can't process the oversampling faster than the 808's older gpu? That doesn't make sense.

Regardless of the hardware, you need to code to optimize which is essentially the software. In this case the API for the 1020 camera needs to be optimized.

There's no true multitasking on WP, so if you have the camera app open, they can use the Adreno 225 solely for the camera. Again the 1020 gpu is much faster than the 808.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Well mine is unlocked version from MS directly. I received a small update but mine does NOT show denim. It says cyan even with all app updates applied. I don't have folder features from gdr1 though.

Didn't Microsoft said they would release an update to make Lumia 1020,move nit faster and stop resuming lag? I remember it was mentioned sometime back so maybe the update was that

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyhow, I'm just getting tired of these excuses with 1020 camera speed. Don't mean to argue but I'm just disappointed..

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So the Adreno 225 on the 1020 can't process the oversampling faster than the 808's older gpu? That doesn't make sense.

Regardless of the hardware, you need to code to optimize which is essentially the software. In this case the API for the 1020 camera needs to be optimized.

There's no true multitasking on WP, so if you have the camera app open, they can use the Adreno 225 solely for the camera. Again the 1020 gpu is much faster than the 808.

Makes perfect sense. You can't compare a dedicated imaging chip on the 808 to an onboard gpu. It's not the same thing at all. You are comparing apple and oranges. The 1020 should have been designed differently but the SoC chosen didn't allow for a separate chip. The throughput of an on board gpu is so much less vs a dedicated imaging chip. It's not even fair.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
@Harrie-S if you're satisfied with 1020's camera speed that's up to you. But as a 1020 owner I am still expecting a better support for its camera. If the Denim update doesn't bring some speed improvements on the 1020, that would really be a big disappointment. I know a lot of 1020 owners would feel the same.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Makes perfect sense. You can't compare a dedicated imaging chip on the 808 to an onboard gpu. It's not the same thing at all. You are comparing apple and oranges. The 1020 should have been designed differently but the SoC chosen didn't allow for a separate chip. The throughput of an on board gpu is so much less vs a dedicated imaging chip. It's not even fair.

Yes it's apple vs orange, but in this case the 1020 gpu is a lot more capable than the 808 even if it's dedicated only for photo oversampling. The hardware excuse really doesn't make sense.

poddie's answer makes a lot more sense for business stand point.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
poddie said: <<Today 10:38 AM From what I have heard, it's not that the 1020 CAN'T have the improvements, it's that they
would have to code them much differently for
the older processors. Given that Windows 10 is
right around the corner, it seems they have
decided not to expend the effort.
My biggest problem with the whole situation is that Microsoft seems completely content with no flagship until W10
comes out in nine months or whatever.>>
W10 it's not a flagship. It's just an O.S.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's apple vs orange, but in this case the 1020 gpu is a lot more capable than the 808 even if it's dedicated only for photo oversampling. The hardware excuse really doesn't make sense.

poddie's answer makes a lot more sense for business stand point.

I don't think you understand how chipsets work and how design regardless of gpu clock speed is important to the processing of data especially in this case. A gpu is not the same thing as an imaging chip with dedicated pipelines for image processing. It's not something you can compare. I would read more about this than making comments like above. Just saying. It's not valid to compare the two.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand how chipsets work. Sorry.

That's general issue with people using gadgets these days. They simply know nothing about how they work and why certain limitation exist. And investing time and effort to try and explain these things to people like that is an entire waste. I've pretty much given up on that.

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That's general issue with people using gadgets these days. They simply know nothing about how they work and why certain limitation exist. And investing time and effort to try and explain these things to people like that is an entire waste. I've pretty much given up on that.
People are frustrated with their 1020s getting slower and buggier with the latest updates rather than getting updates to make the phone snappier and more functional.

People get it - we all just want to hope that our $700 devices can be salvaged.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
People are frustrated with their 1020s getting slower and buggier with the latest updates rather than getting updates to make the phone snappier and more functional.

People get it - we all just want to hope that our $700 devices can be salvaged.

Sorry, but that's probably the biggest bull**** I've read so far in this thread. I've owned a 1020 myself and just recently sold it, since I was barely using it anymore, once the 1520 became my main device. Whatever, I've used the 1020 through multiple OS versions (8.0 Amber, 8.0 Black, 8.1 DP Black, 8.1 official Cyan, 8.1.1 DP Cyan). None of these updates made the device less snappy, buggies or whatever. The exact opposite is the fact. You just can't expect to get more performance out of a device than the hardware is actually capable off. But that again is what I was initially referring to. Being able to comprehend this would require a certain amount of technical knowledge, which most people nowadays seem to lack a lot. Despite the fact that they of course think otherwise.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
This post cracks me up none of you know the reason your speculating!

The problem is 1020 dual core is unable to get the power down low for Cortana to run in back ground is one!

Another is the 4k support is not handled by the processor, the camera can do it but the processor is unable.

The could make a new cam app that loads faster like the denim update, a guess would be 3 versions would be excessive until a merge of all Lumia cam apps and only provide what hardware can do!

From hearing the 1020 users generally the 41m is alot of work on processor to build the image! Yes there are separate processor units out there but Nokia made it this phone and introduce the dual core limit probably stuck around tech at time!

This post can be closed as the answer Is given and any more posts just shows the user as error code: id-10t

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys really believe that the 1020 camera speed can't be improved through software optimization only? I DONT' think so. That's why I said the hardware excuse does not make sense.

@dKp1977 seriously I just laugh at people like you who make quick assumption and generalize that people who complains doesn't know much. As a consumer I have the very right to complain for lack of support. 1020's main feature is the camera. I think you get my point.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys really believe that the 1020 camera speed can't be improved through software optimization only? I DONT' think so. That's why I said the hardware excuse does not make sense.

@dKp1977 seriously I just laugh at people like you who make quick assumption and generalize that people who complains doesn't know much. As a consumer I have the very right to complain for lack of support. 1020's main feature is the camera. I think you get my point.

Well actually, WP8.1 brought support for asynchronous encoding, which basically allows stuff to be processed in the background faster right? That would decrease shot-to-shot time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss