1020 totally unresponsive

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Help, my 1020 has just shut down and won't restart. I've tried all the button combos for soft and hard reset, nothing is working. It is charged, has 3gb memory left, hasn't been dropped. I was using IE, swapped to a new tab, got grey screen and resuming...... Wouldn't move on so I pressed the windows button, non responsive, so hit the power button and it just went black :(

Getting worried. It's plugged on but showing no signs of charging.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
1 What happens if you connect to a PC.
2 If the battery is really low it takes time before you see any sign of live. But you indicated it was charged.
3 Keep it connected to the computer for several hours. This has worked in the past for some people.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
It had about 40% charge. It's plugged in to the wall charger now, but not showing any sign of life. Just about to power up the laptop, was thinking about the Lumia Software Recovery Tool. The phone has been terrible since the Cyan update.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't get it to connect to the recovery software. Getting the message Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That does not sound good. Sorry I hope it is still under warranty and you had the back up enabled.

Last edited:

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Backed up yes. But under warranty, I doubt it as it is 14mths old. A phone that cost ?550 only lasting 14mths, I hope that's not the case. I don't have the money for a replacement, or a repair for that matter.

cityhunterx

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Nokia handsets come with a 2yr warranty in the UK. Contact them or if you have your imei from the box you can find out how longs left on the Microsoft/nokia support website.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
2 yrs warranty? Thank you so much for that info :D

Harrie , I'm just updating the laptop, then I might give it a go overnight.

Where would I find the drivers for the phone, the laptop won't autosearch for them because it doesn't recognise it?

Thanks for everyone's help, btw.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
have you tried a different port? different USB cable? updated your system?
if you uninstall, windows will reinstall the drivers once the device is connected again....

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the 2 usb ports, 3 cables (one a proper Nokia data cable), 2 different Nokia chargers, just updated the laptop. Will try uninstalling next. Don't think I'm going to be able to leave it running overnight as there is a prompt on the recovery software to press volume down and power every few minutes which needs OK-ing.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope. No dice :( Think I will have to fill in the online repair form, but will leave it connected over night just in case.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Getting glimmers of life from it. Windows button glowed for a minute, it's plugged into the laptop. no response to button presses though.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
No shell unfortunately. I'm taking it into the Nokia shop tomorrow. Getting desperate as my spare phone is a Windows 6 HTC.

Es Kh

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem as you, but I manage to get it to boot up again after more then 20 tries of charging it with different sources... in my experience it was the battery saver program that caused it.. directly after the update of the battery saver, when I launched the program, there started the problem. First launch it locked up my phone and had to restart.. 2nd time I launch the battery saver it became totally unresponsive like what you have experienced... but that was few months back and now it has been working perfectly. Do let us all know what was the problem with yours after taking it to the Nokia shop. I'm still hoping its nothing serious and just a program glitch.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia shop couldn't get it going,it'll have to go away. But you now have to have a receipt to send it away, I can't find mine and you've never needed one for Nokia Care in the past, apparently it's some new rule.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you still have the box?
If you did not pay cash than you should find it in your bank statements. In the Netherlands that also counts as a receipt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros