1020s getting cheap on eBay. Should I get one to use as a camera?

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
My old Canon digital camera is dying slow death. I've been wanting a 1020 for two years now, but the price has always been too high. Now the prices are cheaper on eBay and the like, and I was thinking of picking one up.
My question is, do you think it would be a good purchase for use as a camera only? The way I am thinking of using it is to have it be my phone until the end of the year when Windows 10 comes out and then use it exclusively as a camera for vacations, holidays, events, etc.
Should I bite and pick one up, or wait for a successor and pay a little extra for new features and a better processor?
I've read a lot of posts about performance issues due to the lower Snapdragon chip.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
How cheap is "cheap"? If you can get one at a reasonable price, go for it! It makes a great point and shoot camera if that's all you're going to use it for. Who cares if the processor is slow..

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Mehh I've seen Canon T3is go for about ~$300. If you really want a camera why compromise? The 1020 has exceptional picture quality but it comes for a price, slow capture times. Plus no external lens support

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I got the Lumia 1020 for Christmas. Cost me ?236.95 (here, though they've increased the price). I went from a 920 to this, and haven't had any problems at all. It works perfectly fine. My contract for the 920 expires in April, and I'm thinking of getting a sim only one till Microsoft release a flagship Windows 10 device that can replace the 1020.

The speed and everything works fine. I guess if you want to get the 930 / 1520 and wait for all the Windows 10 updates, you'll be fine then too. But I wanted the camera of the 1020, and got it when I did.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
How slow is the delay from pressing the shutter button to the actual picture being taken.
My current HTC 8XT has about a two second delay

Arup Roy Chowdhury

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Its a great camera and a very good phone which does functions like office, email and Skype with ease so yes, a good buy overall and bests most compact digital cams in results.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
How slow is the delay from pressing the shutter button to the actual picture being taken.
My current HTC 8XT has about a two second delay

It's almost instant but not quite. Only problem is that when you've taken picture it takes about four seconds to be able to take another one. That's only if you're using Lumia Camera. There's an option to use lower quality pictures and take them much quicker.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
It's almost instant but not quite. Only problem is that when you've taken picture it takes about four seconds to be able to take another one. That's only if you're using Lumia Camera. There's an option to use lower quality pictures and take them much quicker.
Just wait it'll get Lumia Camera with Windows 10

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
no.

do yourself a favour, since you asking if "it would be a good purchase for use as a camera only", I would get a proper DSLR camera. 1020 is too slow to be taking photos. Quality of 1020 is very good, but don't think its really on par to a proper camera. I very often cursed myself for missing the opportunity as it takes ages from switching the 1020 on to actually taking the photo.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
no.

do yourself a favour, since you asking if "it would be a good purchase for use as a camera only", I would get a proper DSLR camera. 1020 is too slow to be taking photos. Quality of 1020 is very good, but don't think its really on par to a proper camera. I very often cursed myself for missing the opportunity as it takes ages from switching the 1020 on to actually taking the photo.

It all comes down to portability. Yes, the 1020 is slow but I often use ProShot which opens much faster. I also shoot with manual shutter and flash (with Lumia camera) with my daughter. To make the process faster I just leave the app open and lock the phone.

If I have space, I bring my very small mirrorless camera. You can get a NEX3N for same price as 1020. It has a massive sensor and excellent quality.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest that you wait until MWC, God knows what they're hiding :p

That doesn't help the OP now though. 😞 MS said they aren't releasing a phone until summer but I'm sure we will hear an announcement in the near future. I snagged my 1020 to fill that void. I really hope we see a 1030 soon.

Christus Hirschus

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 still has the best mobile phone camera, but if you want a camera - get a camera. For about 100$ more you could get a Samsung NX3000 for example, which is a great dslm for beginners.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb