Why does my 1020 get very hot while using Internet Explorer and apps?

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
1020, very hot while using Internet Explorer and apps

Did your phone (I have a Lumia 1020) heat up very fast while using Internet Explorer for lets say about 15 minutes?
During IE usage the battery drains extremly fast. Did you experience the same issue?
After 15 minutes it is very hot - I'm worried that a longer usage may do some harm to the phone due to the very hot temperature...

The back of the phone and the screen is getting very hot - if you did experience the same issue, please respond.
I do not have the drain problem while not using the phone - it is cold while idle!

But I did notice, that other applications do also heat up the phone, but not as much as IE...

I have WP version 8.10.12393.890
Firmware version: 3051.50009.1424.0003

Someone said, that Lumia 1020's CPU is just hot by itself while working, but I can't agree with that by 100%. If that would be the case, the phone SHOULDN'T heat up, while just displaying the website and doing NOTHING MORE (I did set up the screen to never turn off is the settings).

I have two friends at my workplace from which one of them is using Lumia 920 and not noticing such thing. He was using this phone for much longer time than I'm using this 1020. Another guy uses the 925 and again - he did not notice such thing.
I once had a Lumia 800, which also was considered as a hi-end device and it was very hard, really very hard to heat it up a little - it was possible only in games and not possible in Internet Explorer (I know that this is not the same hardware, but I'm sure, that this 1020 is not working the way it was intended to...)

I also read a lot of comments, that IE did not heat up the phone before the Cyan update.

The phone is heating up even, when just a plain website is displayed and screen is always on - set in settings. I know that the CPU is going to heat up when doing something, but it is heating up even when just diplaying the website and NOT browsing anymore. It shouldn't heat up when doing nothing right?

I think that there is something running in the background that makes the phone hot while using IE.

I were in a store in which I had an opportunity to play with Lumia 1320 and 630. I used IE for some time and the phone heated up on the upper side where the camera is placed. It is other SOC than in the 1020. I played with Lumia 630 also. Both of them were on Cyan and both of them heated up.

All of this makes me think, that this is not SOC related, but system related - a lot of people on the web are saying that this happened after some updates lately.

Please let me know what do you think about all that. Thanks in advance,

Sławek

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The case is simple: what you're feeling while browsing (or keeping the screen on) is the battery heating up - that is the only individual physical device in the L1020 that is capable of generating so much sensible heat. Rechargeable batteries are known to heat up (if not overheat) if the stored power is drained at a relatively high rate. Hence, you should be looking at which are consuming most of the power from your battery... in your case those would be the screen, the GSM antenna and (to some extent) the processor. This means that if you're browsing using GSM antenna, you would experience more heating up than if you would just be using WiFi... though you would still experience heating issues just the same with WiFi. The same goes when you're using apps... the screen is on paired with some processor activity... leading to battery usage and heating issues.

The processor, graphics chips and other microelectronic components are too small to be able to generate that amount of heat (though they of course do!... they're just too small and often equipped with small auxiliary ventilation). The only exception is when you're using the camera for a prolonged period of time, in which case it would be the camera encasement that would be heating up together with the battery.

P.S. There have been other discussion in the fora on heating issues with the L1020, you may want to visit those.

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I agree with you - every part in use is going to generate some heat - one more, one less.
But when I just set my screen to never turn off and leave the phone showing the main tiles for half an hour - the phone or screen does not heat up. It makes me think, that nearly all of this heat has to come from CPU - because GSM module shouldn't be working while displaying the same web page in Internet Explorer and screen did not heat up before while displaying the tiles (I did such a test - leave the phone showing the tiles for half an hour and leave the phone while showing a website for half an hour - and then compared the phone heat - the website heated phone a lot!)

I'm still convinced, that something additional has to be running while using the IE and making the phone heat up a lot. It may even use more phone parts - like you said - generating a lot more heat than from using one phone part.

I seriously hope, that the next update is going to make things better on this field.

What do you think about this opinion?

Sławek

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I did.
I also did in search of potential resolution a hard reset and written the same firmware as before into the phone memory using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool - none of this helped - either there is a big bug in the firmware/os version, or the phone has a serious design flaw :(

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 1020, very hot while using Internet Explorer and apps

Did your phone (I have a Lumia 1020) heat up very fast while using Internet Explorer for lets say about 15 minutes?
During IE usage the battery drains extremly fast. Did you experience the same issue?
After 15 minutes it is very hot - I'm worried that a longer usage may do some harm to the phone due to the very hot temperature...

The back of the phone and the screen is getting very hot - if you did experience the same issue, please respond.
I do not have the drain problem while not using the phone - it is cold while idle!

But I did notice, that other applications do also heat up the phone, but not as much as IE...

I have WP version 8.10.12393.890
Firmware version: 3051.50009.1424.0003

Someone said, that Lumia 1020's CPU is just hot by itself while working, but I can't agree with that by 100%. If that would be the case, the phone SHOULDN'T heat up, while just displaying the website and doing NOTHING MORE (I did set up the screen to never turn off is the settings).

I have two friends at my workplace from which one of them is using Lumia 920 and not noticing such thing. He was using this phone for much longer time than I'm using this 1020. Another guy uses the 925 and again - he did not notice such thing.
I once had a Lumia 800, which also was considered as a hi-end device and it was very hard, really very hard to heat it up a little - it was possible only in games and not possible in Internet Explorer (I know that this is not the same hardware, but I'm sure, that this 1020 is not working the way it was intended to...)

I also read a lot of comments, that IE did not heat up the phone before the Cyan update.

The phone is heating up even, when just a plain website is displayed and screen is always on - set in settings. I know that the CPU is going to heat up when doing something, but it is heating up even when just diplaying the website and NOT browsing anymore. It shouldn't heat up when doing nothing right?

I think that there is something running in the background that makes the phone hot while using IE.

I were in a store in which I had an opportunity to play with Lumia 1320 and 630. I used IE for some time and the phone heated up on the upper side where the camera is placed. It is other SOC than in the 1020. I played with Lumia 630 also. Both of them were on Cyan and both of them heated up.

All of this makes me think, that this is not SOC related, but system related - a lot of people on the web are saying that this happened after some updates lately.

Please let me know what do you think about all that. Thanks in advance,

Sławek

I had this issue after updating to black. I had to reflash the device to get things working proper. IE was using over 60% of my battery in the background. Updating through settings will almost causes bugs, some less noticeable than others.

PS: Screen was really warm, back was HOT :unhappysweat:
That is not good for the battery!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I agree with you - every part in use is going to generate some heat - one more, one less.
But when I just set my screen to never turn off and leave the phone showing the main tiles for half an hour - the phone or screen does not heat up. It makes me think, that nearly all of this heat has to come from CPU - because GSM module shouldn't be working while displaying the same web page in Internet Explorer and screen did not heat up before while displaying the tiles (I did such a test - leave the phone showing the tiles for half an hour and leave the phone while showing a website for half an hour - and then compared the phone heat - the website heated phone a lot!)

I'm still convinced, that something additional has to be running while using the IE and making the phone heat up a lot. It may even use more phone parts - like you said - generating a lot more heat than from using one phone part.

I seriously hope, that the next update is going to make things better on this field.

What do you think about this opinion?

Sławek

There's a way to isolate this: switch Airplane mode on and then let your phone display IE on your screen. Then compare this with when Airplane mode is off. Although IE is displaying only one page, IE could still be periodically checking for updated versions of the page causing periodic GSM activity. If your phone still heats up even in Airplane mode, then it is IE using the processor (and, in effect, higher battery usage) that causes the heat.

Try out that test; I'm very interested to know your results. In my phone, battery only heats up dramatically with GSM, camera and processor activity.

Again, it is very plausible that the other parts (processor, chips, etc.) are causing the heat, but they are not the ones generating majority of the heat. Rather, if the processor is active it would use more power from the battery which in turn causes the battery to heat up.

If the next update brings "smart" power management for the phone components, then it's possible that those parts would not be using so much battery power, thus reducing battery heat.

miarkus

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: 1020, very hot while using Internet Explorer and apps

My 1020 gets hot as well while browsing especially intense multimedia websites. After a year without any hardware issues I can tell its perfectly normal situation. I'd say it hearts up to 50C degrees. It's quite handy during the winter you know :)

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm really stunned at the moment - it did not heat up while showing the windowscentral main page when airplane mode was on.
It is possible then, that the GSM module (or battery because of the energy needed for the GSM module) is really heating the phone , or IE uses GSM module in a wrong way when airplane mode is off - making it or the battery hot!

But unfortunately the battery was still loosing the energy with about the same speed as before - with the GSM module on. That's the most annoying problem - I wouldn't care about the heat if the battery could hold the energy longer...

I'm going to test this one more time tomorrow, because it is very late in Poland right now and I need to wake up early for work tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss