Preview for Developers?

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, this morning, bright and early, I was offered a "critical update" for my 1020, which maybe because I wasn't totally awake, I accepted. Turns out I downloaded and installed Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10:14147.180) Preview for Developers and Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14157.200) Preview for Developers. Did anyone else get this and I am going to regret having installed it. I am not a developer and normally don't care to get on the cutting edge, especially if my phone is working well, and it was. I haven't noticed any difference thus far, but if I wanted to go back to my non-developer system, how would I do that or should I just leave it alone. By the way, I am with AT&T.

The only thing that happened that could have prompted this was I installed the Microsoft Health app because I got my Fitness Band yesterday (another story, but won't go into that on this thread). When I went into the software of that application, it did ask if I wanted access to early developed applications (can't remember the exact wording, but something like that) and I said yes to that. I "assumed" (oops) that it was just for early developed apps for that software related to the Band. Then, this morning, I get this developer preview installed. Could that have prompted this developer preview to be installed?

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, this morning, bright and early, I was offered a "critical update" for my 1020, which maybe because I wasn't totally awake, I accepted. Turns out I downloaded and installed Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10:14147.180) Preview for Developers and Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14157.200) Preview for Developers. Did anyone else get this and I am going to regret having installed it. I am not a developer and normally don't care to get on the cutting edge, especially if my phone is working well, and it was. I haven't noticed any difference thus far, but if I wanted to go back to my non-developer system, how would I do that or should I just leave it alone. By the way, I am with AT&T.

The only thing that happened that could have prompted this was I installed the Microsoft Health app because I got my Fitness Band yesterday (another story, but won't go into that on this thread). When I went into the software of that application, it did ask if I wanted access to early developed applications (can't remember the exact wording, but something like that) and I said yes to that. I "assumed" (oops) that it was just for early developed apps for that software related to the Band. Then, this morning, I get this developer preview installed. Could that have prompted this developer preview to be installed?

Yes that could have prompted it try this How to roll back from windows 10 TP to windowsphone 8.1 | LumiaTutor.COM to go back to The official update

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I will probably try this after work. Did I download Windows 10 onto my phone? Seems like it says it is 8.1. Has anyone with the version I described above had issues with the stability of the software? Thanks.

No you do not have windows 10. I try to explain the recovery tool story.
In the past (before Microsoft bought the phone part of Nokia) this tool was named Nokia Software Recovery Tool. And after Microsoft took over it was renamed Lumia Software Recovery Tool.
But when Microsoft started the windows 10 Technical Preview for phones they made a new tool which is called Windows Software Recovery Tool.
With the Lumia tool you also can recover nokia phones (non Lumia) but with the Windows tool you only can use for Lumia tools.
In your case you can use the Lumia Software Recovery Tool or the Windows Software Recovery Tool.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...singleTopic%26topic%3DFA142987&token=_jsgDrKH

So with above tools you can reinstall the CYAN software for your phone and you "loose" the preview for developer part.
It is however possible that some FitBit features will not work on CYAN only.
So you need DENIM or preview for developer to get the "needed" OS updates to fully use the fitbit.

Anyhow be aware that if you use the Windows or Lumia recovery tool al data will be erased from your phone.

Preview for developers is a "trick" to get earlier OS updates. Normally you have to wait to get these together with the DENIM update. You do not have to be a developer to use "preview for developers" and it is completely legal to use it because it also is from Microsoft.

Above story is kind of long and maybe complicated so if something is not clear please reply.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Harrie-S.....thanks for the explanation. It sounds like I should maybe just keep this developer software on my phone unless it starts to give me some issues. While it has only been a couple of hours, nothing crazy seems to have happened and as long as the basic functions continue to work, I'm fine with it. Thanks for mentioning that if I do go back I will lose all of my data on my phone....ugh....another reason not to go back to the previous version. You mentioned "fitbit" in your response, did you mean the Band and just use "fitbit" as a generic term? I just want things to work smoothly and not trying to get anything ahead of everyone else and be the guinea pig. I prefer to get software after it has been fully tested. But, I may also regret going back to my previous software if I stand to lose a bunch of stuff. I have my photos backed up and regularly back-up some of my other apps, but will just see how this developer software works and cross my fingers. Thanks again.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The Preview OS is the exact same build that is being sent out with Denim firmware updates, so I wouldn't worry about stability. It was deemed good enough for an official release.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I read your post and I use my phone so when I answered I can not go back to the original post I mixed up Fitness band with fitbit. But also the band needs the "updated" OS.
Don't worry of being a guinea pig for Preview for Developers. You are probably one of the last people who installed it. Or in other words a lot of people went before you.
I am not sure were you from but the official Denim update should also arrive "soon" for your device.
You can check below link if it is released for your phone. It does however not show when it will be released.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...pdate%2Fwp8-software-update%2F&token=-u7-_RIQ

In this link you also can "see" which OS updates DENIM will bring and these you now already have with preview for developer. One of them is for example if you pin battery saver to your start screen you can see the battery status "live". Or if you hold a tile on your start screen you can "drag" it on top of another tile and "creating" live tiles. (a kind of directory of apps on your start screen).
In the link they also talk about a improved camera but this is only for the 830, 930/icon and 1520.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I will probably try this after work. Did I download Windows 10 onto my phone? Seems like it says it is 8.1. Has anyone with the version I described above had issues with the stability of the software? Thanks.

You can install the latest update by your provider using the given method.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
While it has only been a couple of hours, nothing crazy seems to have happened and as long as the basic functions continue to work, I'm fine with it

Keep the dev prev update :) Just make sure you turn off the option for the phone to automatically download and install the latest updates.. I think we can safely assume that the previous updates are stable, but moving forward, (other updates) you might want to be careful and let the bulk of WP users test it out first lol.

Monitoring all the complaints after each update for a week or two, is a great way to gauge what to expect..

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Keep the dev prev update :) Just make sure you turn off the option for the phone to automatically download and install the latest updates.. I think we can safely assume that the previous updates are stable, but moving forward, (other updates) you might want to be careful and let the bulk of WP users test it out first lol.

Monitoring all the complaints after each update for a week or two, is a great way to gauge what to expect..

Thanks for that suggestion....although....as I am typing I am updating the phone with some latest updates (grrrrrrr). I'll take your suggestion going forward however and wait. I have to say, I'm a bit confused because I don't even know what is supposedly different. I'm sure there are some things that are new or different that I just don't know about. As long as my phone works, my calendar transfers correctly, I receive emails and texts, can hook up to my wi-fi and Bluetooth (for the car and the Band), and I get internet, I'll be happy. :smile:

I am curious, how often do these updates come out????

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Here are a few new features you will get with pfd but it depends how many of the pfd updates you have.( I think it should be 4 to 6 but probably some you get together )

Glance Screen can now show more at a glance with Bing Weather, or Bing Health & Fitness data, in addition to time and date, notifications and application data.

Battery Saver tile now is a real-time updated Live Tile showing battery percentage.

You can add Battery saver and cellular data as one the quick action settings

You can now schedule the incoming Windows Phone updates

The content and layout of the folder is included in the backup process and is used when restoring to a new device.

Ability to select multiple SMS messages for deletion and forwarding, making it easier to manage your text messages.

With improved selection, you can also delete multiple calls or contacts.

Alarms now have snooze timings. Go to Apps homescreen—->Alarms

Internet sharing now also possible over Bluetooth. Settings—–> Internet Sharing

Improvements to Internet Explorer 11 and especially in the way it renders the lots of mobile webpages now.

Accessory apps to get notifications from your phone on your smart watch, active phone cover, fitness tracker, or other kinds of accessories.

So please check if you see some of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3