Nokia Lumia 1020 Camera

Don164

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have recently managed to recently acquire a Nokia Lumia 1020. I bought it primarily because of the camera , it isn't my daily driver and was never intended to be although when it comes to cameras, it's quite tough to beat after being nearly 2 years old.

My problem is getting to know some of the Windows 8 OS and how it works with the camera. I couldn't manage to shoot a 38 megapixel photo as the default wasn't showing any options although I installed the Lumia camera and that has rectified that problem. I'm more interested in the large photos than the shrunken down form so:

1) Is it possible to take just the full size picture ?! (I don't really want to be dealing with a 5 megapixel photo)
2) When I view a photo back after I've taken it, am I viewing the 5 megapixel photo or the 38/ 36 ?!
3) Is their an easier way to transfer these large photos to my laptop quickly without having to go through the whole laptop connectivity procedure ?!

Thank You All

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
First of all, welcome to Windows Central, Don164!

1) With Lumia Camera, no; your phone will always take a highres photo with a 5 MP over sampled photo, but you can take only a 5 MP over sampled photo without the highres photo. You can try using a different app, though. Proshot* (one of the leading apps, which has recently been updated) also takes full resolution photos... based on what I have saved, it seems that ProShot only takes high resolution photos. You may read more about it in this thread before purchasing the app... the developer responds to queries in that thread.
2) With Lumia Camera, you would be viewing the full resolution photo once you enter the "Reframe" mode. Otherwise, you're just viewing the 5 MP version. You can use other apps to view the high resolution photos. My recommendation is Zoom*.
3) Not sure if there is an "easier" way. Full resolution uploads to OneDrive can be another option, but I've found connecting my phone to my PC easier than trying to figure out how to upload full resolution shots in OneDrive.

*- most other apps come for a fee. While Proshot introduces a different UI to the users, I still prefer the granularity of Lumia Camera. Lumia Camera also takes a bit sharper photos than Proshot with the same settings.

Last edited:

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Actually: 1) In Lumia camera, you can opt to take both resolutions or only the 5mp one. 2) Full resolution files can be uploaded automatically to OneDrive; the only thing to figure out is the setting. 3) There are plenty of free camera apps, including several Lumia ones.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Try 360sight. I use proshot, as well as Lumia camera. But, 360sight has been my go to quick shooter.

What he said. 360 Sight is a good app for quick shots on non denim or mid/low end denim devices that dont have Lumia camera 5. ProShot is overall the better app but I recommend waiting for the rewrite the dev has in store as the current version of the app has its issues having been built in an old format. Usually can't save pictures properly to SD card, sometimes you even have to power cycle your phone for them to display properly.

oldgreygeek

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought this was a Lumia 1020 thread. The -L1020- camera does not change with Denim! So no camera)5 either. Sight360 is a dam good App. And it takes Hi-res shots, and is faster than proshot or Lumia camera. I use all three because each is set up differently (by me). Please guys, photos are taken by people. I could give some folks a 5k$ full frame dslr and get back crappy pics. On the other hand I can give a mediocre P&S to someone with a good eye for color, composition, and lighting and get back Great pics. So, relax use what you have and shoot a lot, keep the best, and trash the rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss