Buying 1020 from U.S.A need help!

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
So I was planning to order 1020 from amazon. And I currently reside in India, but I'll have this delivered to me from a relative. So can anyone using this in U.S.A tell me how will get the firmware upgrades? Will there be ANY carrier issue? Or If I put my phone's region to India I'll get it like evreyone else in the country..
I remeber it depens on the RM number. So will I have to wait for carrier approval even If I get an unlocked version or I'll get updates on time?
Can anyone please tell me, as I dont know how and when people in there get updates.

revanthpallagani

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
First you would have to check if it is carrier unlocked (you might have done that already). Next, once the phine gets delivered check which ROM is installed. The one I bought had an Italian vodafone one, so I flashed it to Indian variant.
Once the country variant is flashed you will get updates as and when released. No further dependencies and you can use the phone like one bought in India. Some services based on IMEI may not work (MixRadio subscription for example, while it was still active).

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If you're buying from the USA, it's likely the AT&T variant which (1) depends on AT&T for updates, and (2) is locked to AT&T unless specified otherwise, and (3) can't be flashed with any other firmware due to extra bootloader crap demanded by AT&T for their version of the phone. Oh, and (4) doesn't support LTE except in North America.

Firmware depends on only one thing: what's loaded on the phone currently. An AT&T firmware will only update when AT&T says it will, changing regional settings makes no difference.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you're buying from the USA, it's likely the AT&T variant which (1) depends on AT&T for updates, and (2) is locked to AT&T unless specified otherwise, and (3) can't be flashed with any other firmware due to extra bootloader crap demanded by AT&T for their version of the phone. Oh, and (4) doesn't support LTE except in North America.

Firmware depends on only one thing: what's loaded on the phone currently. An AT&T firmware will only update when AT&T says it will, changing regional settings makes no difference.

Is AT&T fairly good for updates? I know I am waiting for the denim update for my 1020 on AT&T/TELUS.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
The updates purely depend on the carrier based on the sim card inserted. Make sure you buy an "UNLOCKED" phone as I had a bad experience from amazon in past when my galaxy s5 was region locked but seller mentioned it as unlocked. And I had received it here. So I had to insert and AT&T sim and make it unlocked. Though the region lock feature is present only on Samsung, but be careful when you buy. Ask your relative to check twice if the device is unlocked or not.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The updates purely depend on the carrier based on the sim card inserted. Make sure you buy an "UNLOCKED" phone as I had a bad experience from amazon in past when my galaxy s5 was region locked but seller mentioned it as unlocked. And I had received it here. So I had to insert and AT&T sim and make it unlocked. Though the region lock feature is present only on Samsung, but be careful when you buy. Ask your relative to check twice if the device is unlocked or not.
Sorry, that is incorrect. A Windows phone's update eligibility depends on the original carrier if there is one, doesn't matter whose sim is installed. Each update targets a specific product code.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Is AT&T fairly good for updates? I know I am waiting for the denim update for my 1020 on AT&T/TELUS.
They were pretty quick with Cyan, but as they say in stocks, "past performance is not an indicator of future results." Which is why I prefer unbranded if I can get it.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for quoting me out. Then it might be specially for devices that are with different set of product codes unlike competitor devices. Am i right?
I mean that for every region there might be different regional devices.

Sorry, that is incorrect. A Windows phone's update eligibility depends on the original carrier if there is one, doesn't matter whose sim is installed. Each update targets a specific product code.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3