Why won't my phone connect to pc?

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 1020 will NOT connect to my surface pro 2. I have looked high and low on the internet for a solution. The problem in my opinion lies in the detection and installation of the drivers to the SP2. It plugs in and charges but the computer doesn't detect that there has been anything plugged in. Nothing shows up in file explorer or device manager. But my old Lumia 920 was recognized. Here are a few of the different solutions that I have tried and have fail to fix my problem.

Soft reset when plugged in to install the missing drivers (failed)
Switching different cords to make sure I was using a data cable (failed)
Tried plugging it into multiple different PC's and even a mac (failed)

The stupid phone will not show up anywhere! I am running Windows 10 mobile but I have had this problem in 8.1 for over a year since I bought the phone. This even happened with my first Lumia 1020 I owned when the phone first came out! (Which shattered)

I think the root of the problem lies in the hardware of the phone itself. My guess is the USB port is damaged so it doesn't fully read or something along those lines. It takes a good 5 hour for a charge which seems long to me but I'm not sure.

So if anybody has fixed this problem before or has some insight on my problem or even confirm my suspicions about the damaged port then that would be great!

Last edited:

imaking31

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Phone will not connect to pc.

Make sure you have the updated drivers

1. Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager (or you can just go to control panel)
2. Look for the driver associated with the phone (Sometimes it's under 'Other Devices')
3. Right click and check for update

If the above doesn't help,
Try updating your 'USB Mass Storage' under 'USB Controllers'

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone will not connect to pc.

There's nothing in device manager that indicates anything about the phone

And no USB mass storage in the USB controllers

Aziz Yankee

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey!

I had the same issue - and apparently my USB Flex cable become dead. I don't know how it become corrupt, as it is located inside. Nevertheless, to be able to change that you need to replace the whole housing of your device :(

As I am in Uzb it will take ages to get one from eBay or Amazon :(

Just check your flex cable

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey!

I had the same issue - and apparently my USB Flex cable become dead. I don't know how it become corrupt, as it is located inside. Nevertheless, to be able to change that you need to replace the whole housing of your device :(

Ah! That could be it! I'll check that as soon as I can. And if its worth it ill buy a replacement

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey!

I tore open another broken Lumia 1020 just to see and I don't think its even possible to replace the USB flex cable. Could I be wrong?

Spaha-BiH

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey!

I know how are you feel now, I ordered mine usb flex cable, and I am waiting for it maybe for 3 weeks now.

I am stucked with windows 10 now, but I want to roll back to 8.1, but I cannot because usb is broken, but charging is ok.

Spaha-BiH

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I tore open another broken Lumia 1020 just to see and I don't think its even possible to replace the USB flex cable. Could I be wrong?

I watched some pictures of how to disassembly lumia 1020, and worst thing for us is that you have to completely remove everything, motherboard, camera, side buttons, and then you can replace usb port.

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I watched some pictures of how to disassembly lumia 1020, and worst thing for us is that you have to completely remove everything, motherboard, camera, side buttons, and then you can replace usb port.

Even after I took EVERYTHING out, everything that you mention and I found no way to remove the USB... It's stuck to the housing that's like super glued.

Spaha-BiH

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Sadly the 1020 is much different than the 920...

don?t tell me that, i need to chagne usb port on my lumia 1020 too

if you figure out how to do it, please send me a private message, there must be some way how to do it.

i spend about 10€ on new usb port, probably i was wrong, i should go with new housing

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
don?t tell me that, i need to chagne usb port on my lumia 1020 too

if you figure out how to do it, please send me a private message, there must be some way how to do it.

i spend about 10? on new usb port, probably i was wrong, i should go with new housing

Well the problem is that to remove the USB you have to remove the speakers which is glued to this metal thing of the housing. And the metal housing is super glued almost impossible to remove the the housing from the metal... In all the teardown videos I've watched non of them have removed the USB gasket. I'll open my really broken 1020 and mess around with it again and see if I can get anywhere with it. Maybe I'm just missing a step.

Spaha-BiH

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Well the problem is that to remove the USB you have to remove the speakers which is glued to this metal thing of the housing. And the metal housing is super glued almost impossible to remove the the housing from the metal... In all the teardown videos I've watched non of them have removed the USB gasket. I'll open my really broken 1020 and mess around with it again and see if I can get anywhere with it. Maybe I'm just missing a step.
you don?t skip anything, i watched all videos about lumia 1020 and no one shows us hot to fix usb

I cannot tell you anything more until I got my usb port and disassemble my lumia 1020

Aziz Yankee

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, indeed, USB port cannot be changed, therefore I have ordered the whole housing...and still waiting for it. I will inform you as soon as I replace.

Meanwhile, if you suceed with replacing the flex cable+usb port, let me know, please!

Cheers

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If you watch the teardown video that le55ons has done he tells us that to remove the speaker and USB port you have to remove the entire housing from the case and because it glued in so well its impossible to do without damaging the back cover. So there you have it. Its impossible to just change the USB flex cable... I'm about to open up my old one and maybe find a way but I doubt ill have any luck.

Aziz Yankee

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so my phone is dead (i mean flex cable) and I can no longer charge it anyways. Till I get my new housing, is there a possibility that I could charge it through two holes on the back by connecting some wires from a power supply? Anyone knows which one is + and -?

nokia-lumia-1020-white-.jpg

PS. I wonder, where how did they do this??

Nokia Lumia 1020 Insides-580-75.jpg

Spaha-BiH

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I just want to say I am still in love with Windows Phone :)

I successfully roll back to wp8.1 on my lumia 1020, seems the problem was in my laptop somehow, now I am at my home and at desktop pc everything works great ;) but I still have problems with usb when I connect it on PC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077