Any way to control aperture?

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I just got a 1020 from the deal last week and I've been setting it up. So far, so good. I was worried about apps but have been happy with all the replacements/versions I've found, so no problems there. I've been using the HTC Desire Eye, which just updated to Lollipop (5.x) and I've been happy with the phone, but I've always been attracted to the camera on the 1020.

So, it was a shock to me so find out I couldn't control the aperture on the camera. My Desire Eye has full manual control built in (including aperture - somehow) and takes nice photos. However, it's the typical tiny sensor so it doesn't have the greatest low light performance.

Is there any camera app that allows "aperture control"? I put that in quotes because I know the camera has a physically fixed aperture, as do all cellphones that I know of. But somehow HTC has figured out how to emulate aperture control. How?

Here's an example of a shot I took with my HTC using full manual control. I was able to slow the shutter speed down and close down the aperture to prevent over-exposure to get a blurred shot. I didn't have very fine control on the aperture hence it's a little darker than it actually was. But I was pleased with the test shot.
HTC DE manual control example.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I haven't really heard of controlling aperture, but I know you can control:

- shutter speed
- sensitivity (ISO)

which might be what you're looking for.
You can also dial down the brightness as well.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

I haven't really heard of controlling aperture, but I know you can control:

- shutter speed
- sensitivity (ISO)

which might be what you're looking for.
You can also dial down the brightness as well.

Thanks, I tried that during mid day, and just got a totally white (blown out, overexposed) shot. I'll try it again when it's closer to dusk and see if I get better results. I'll pull my HTC out for a side by side comparison so I can take time of day out of the equation.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
re:

HTC says that is a 28mm f2.0 lens so no variable aperture. I don't know any phone that lets you change the aperture, I dont see how you can fit a variable diafragma in a very tiny lens.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

HTC says that is a 28mm f2.0 lens so no variable aperture. I don't know any phone that lets you change the aperture, I dont see how you can fit a variable diafragma in a very tiny lens.

Aaaaaaand......you're right, and I'm a dumbass. Just checked my HTC and there's no aperture control. So nothing to see here. Just move along. Next question.

:)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The Nokia N86 had a camera with a real variable aperture capabilities. But judging from the images of the camera itself, we can observe the depth required to fit in a moving mechanical element in front of the lens for precision control. Nokia discontinued the technology at the moment, perhaps because the phone became too thick, but I'm guessing this should be in our future camera phones, considering that the L1020 already has a mechanical diaphragm in front of the lens but which acts only as a lens cover (sometimes referred to as a "mechanical shutter" but is by no means a mechanical shutter as known to photographers) and that the L1020 was relatively well-received despite the "Oreo-sized" pimple it had at the back. Give another five years and they could upgrade this mechanical lens cover into some form of aperture-controlling set of leaves in top camera phones - some glimpse into the future, if such a future comes.

But as of this point and for the OP, yeah: L1020 and HTC Desire Eye have fixed aperture lenses. Back to moving along. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon