Why is my Lumia 1020's awesome photo clarity lost?

Kuvelkid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 1020's awesome photo clarity lost. Please Help

Photos are coming darker and with slight cloudy appearance on some of them. I can clearly see the difference between the currently clicked photos and the ones i had clicked 7-8 months ago. Its really annoying and it feels like i am using ordinary camera. Do i have to clean the lens or is it a hardware problem. Please let me know as my phone is still under warranty. Also note that my phone is running on official win 8.1 OS (no win 10 preview was installed). The above image attached is just one example. Both images were clicked using auto mode and in a bright sunny day.

Attachments

• test_pic.JPG
    test_pic.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 43

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Lumia 1020's awesome photo clarity lost. Please Help

I think it is for everyone else too with the Camera updates the algorithms have changed over time and you will see that kind of changes...
Your best bet is to post edit the pics taken with the high res option.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site

If focusing function is doing the job as before I consider your camera is not broken. Try it without case. Use Lumia Camera.

Kuvelkid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

Thanks.
the above pic is from high resolution images. Only thing i have combined both to show the difference. so should i reset the phone to factory settings. or is there any special way where i can reset only the pro camera application to old state??

Kuvelkid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

Thanks.
focusing is working but earlier pro camera used to give brighter view of the object with auto settings itself when i focus the object. But now it is not the case.. even i tried changing the settings manually. But no luck. other mobiles like Moto G are giving brighter and clearer pictures at the same location.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.
the above pic is from high resolution images. Only thing i have combined both to show the difference. so should i reset the phone to factory settings. or is there any special way where i can reset only the pro camera application to old state??
resetting the phone will not do anything to camera app nor will resetting the camera app help.

The whole thing would have changed with the FW update, unfortunately which you cant revert to older version using the tools that MS provide. It is a bit risky if you can flash it yourself using a fw which hopefully someone has saved online.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

The bright picture is clearly in the sun, the shadows in the 5 windows in the white section show the sun was above and on that side of the structure.

The right (darker) picture the sun is behind and above the building.

I am no expert but they are not the same conditions.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Photos are coming darker and with slight cloudy appearance on some of them. I can clearly see the difference between the currently clicked photos and the ones i had clicked 7-8 months ago. Its really annoying and it feels like i am using ordinary camera. Do i have to clean the lens or is it a hardware problem. Please let me know as my phone is still under warranty. Also note that my phone is running on official win 8.1 OS (no win 10 preview was installed). The above image attached is just one example. Both images were clicked using auto mode and in a bright sunny day.

The first picture looks overexposed to me, there isn't any detail in the white regions of the building, and the blues (especially the sky) are almost acid. If this has happened since an update, i'd say they might have dialed back the exposure on the automatic settings, from what it was before. If you want it back the way you want, increase the exposure in Camera Settings 0.5+ or 1.0+ and save the settings. I prefer the second image though, it seems more true to life.

But as Mark said, different times of day can really change the outcome of a photo.

Kuvelkid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. That is just the example i gave. Maybe you are right. But in general i am finding clarity is degraded recently. I am no expert in photography. I used mostly auto settings which used to give me perfect picture earlier. But now i notice the difference in the photos i am clicking.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

If not mistaken our phones use centered metering (or however it is called). This means that it will decide on what white balance or brightness to use in auto mode based on where the center of the picture is.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

Not disputing your claim or experience, but from the shadows in your sample comparison, the photos were taken at opposite sun positions where you would expect very differently-lit pictures. A more comparable sample would be better. I haven't noticed any degradation in my 1020 photos through Cyan and Denim updates. Good luck getting better pics.

Kuvelkid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

Hey ... I tried everything... but the photos simply not coming gud. I think there is a problem in focusing. I dont have much knowledge but i like to ask 2 questions just to clear my doubts
1) When i focus on object, the focus light glows for a split second illuminating the object than gets off, And then i take the photos it comes without focus light.
2) There is some small but noticable ' click sound' coming from the camera everytime i focus on a object

Are Both the things mentioned above are normal for lumia 1020??

Please Reply...thanks

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Hey ... I tried everything... but the photos simply not coming gud. I think there is a problem in focusing. I dont have much knowledge but i like to ask 2 questions just to clear my doubts
1) When i focus on object, the focus light glows for a split second illuminating the object than gets off, And then i take the photos it comes without focus light.
2) There is some small but noticable ' click sound' coming from the camera everytime i focus on a object

Are Both the things mentioned above are normal for lumia 1020??

Please Reply...thanks

1. That depends on your camera settings. If it is set to "auto", then that is normal. If it is set to "set by flash", then something's wrong, since the flash should be deployed when the focus assist light is deployed while focusing.
2. Yes, the clicking sound is normal. It can be slightly felt while holding the camera, as well. But is should be barely noticeable and non-disruptive.

As for the clarity of your images, have you tried using ISO 100 for your shots? That should give you the best clarity, but under low lighting conditions the shutter speed might be too long, which will result in blurriness.

Try shooting a daylight scene with ISO-100 and see if your images are still not as good as you expect.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
When Nokia camera was rebranded to Lumia Camera is when the change in image quality happened. I have been an insider since the first build so im used to rolling back and the other day I decided to try turning off automatic store updates and choose my own updates. one i chose not to update was nokia camera ever since lumia camera came out its clearly ment for phones that can run the real denim not bs version thats just a name change, if you try my suggestion you can see a major change with lumia camera compared to nokia camera. the diifference in image quality is blaringly obvisous, i suggest sticking with nokia camera and not updating to lumia camera its not ment for the 1020.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
When Nokia camera was rebranded to Lumia Camera is when the change in image quality happened. I have been an insider since the first build so im used to rolling back and the other day I decided to try turning off automatic store updates and choose my own updates. one i chose not to update was nokia camera ever since lumia camera came out its clearly ment for phones that can run the real denim not bs version thats just a name change, if you try my suggestion you can see a major change with lumia camera compared to nokia camera. the diifference in image quality is blaringly obvisous, i suggest sticking with nokia camera and not updating to lumia camera its not ment for the 1020.

Hmm, I've had my L1020 since Black, through Cyan and now official Denim. I didn't notice the difference in quality in transitioning from Nokia Camera to Lumia Camera, as well as from one OS version to another. I have a copy of all my photos taken with my L1020, so I might be able to compare and support your observation. Nonetheless, I think that phenomenon of suddenly losing quality after an upgrade/update could have been a set of isolated cases - otherwise there would have been a huge number of complaints/remarks about it everywhere.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, I've had my L1020 since Black, through Cyan and now official Denim. I didn't notice the difference in quality in transitioning from Nokia Camera to Lumia Camera, as well as from one OS version to another. I have a copy of all my photos taken with my L1020, so I might be able to compare and support your observation. Nonetheless, I think that phenomenon of suddenly losing quality after an upgrade/update could have been a set of isolated cases - otherwise there would have been a huge number of complaints/remarks about it everywhere.

Really as far as the finished pictures go it's not that big of a difference hardly noticeable, the part I'm referring to as a glaring difference is the digital zoom. With Nokia Camera there is absolutely no loss of clarity when zooming all the way, with Lumia camera on "denim" the zoom quality is alot worse, on windows 10 new build it's a little better then denim. Overall I still feel it takes awesome photos and so love all the 1020 pictures I've taken!!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Really as far as the finished pictures go it's not that big of a difference hardly noticeable, the part I'm referring to as a glaring difference is the digital zoom. With Nokia Camera there is absolutely no loss of clarity when zooming all the way, with Lumia camera on "denim" the zoom quality is alot worse, on windows 10 new build it's a little better then denim. Overall I still feel it takes awesome photos and so love all the 1020 pictures I've taken!!

Interesting; in one of the threads (ProShot) I looked (with a certain degree of detail - not too technical) the quality of the digital zoom in the Lumia 1020, comparing some of the top Windows Phone camera apps. Indeed, Lumia Camera performed the worse! However, Windows Camera (default) performed the best - with that I'll agree with you (presuming that Windows Camera and the old Nokia Camera had similar performance, if not having Nokia Camera even better than Windows Camera) that Lumia Camera is worse than Nokia Camera. Too bad I didn't document the comparison back when it was just Nokia Camera vs Lumia Camera.

But the OP didn't seem to be referring to this level of detail - just the general look of the photos.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Interesting; in one of the threads (ProShot) I looked (with a certain degree of detail - not too technical) the quality of the digital zoom in the Lumia 1020, comparing some of the top Windows Phone camera apps. Indeed, Lumia Camera performed the worse! However, Windows Camera (default) performed the best - with that I'll agree with you (presuming that Windows Camera and the old Nokia Camera had similar performance, if not having Nokia Camera even better than Windows Camera) that Lumia Camera is worse than Nokia Camera. Too bad I didn't document the comparison back when it was just Nokia Camera vs Lumia Camera.

But the OP didn't seem to be referring to this level of detail - just the general look of the photos.

Lumia camera is back on newestbuild 10549, i elected to manually update and keep Nokia camera, I'm curious to compare image between the two. I still feel so is alotcrisper and useable on Nokia!!

Kuvelkid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Maybe You are correct. I want to try with Nokia Camera. But the problem is i already have Lumia Camera. How to install Nokia camera again if i want. Does restoring to factory settings help me getting nokia camera??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3