Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Still having problems... Hotspot cuts out as soon as the phone locks / screen goes off.

Not sure why I'd experience different behavior than you, but starting clean from a hard reset didn't help.

I tested doing an endless ping to google.com on my laptop and as soon as I turn off the screen it looses connection to the internet. Same as the last few builds I've tried.

Disappointing, as everything else I've tried so far looks like it's working well, except that the Store app was crashing on me occasionally, but I can live with that. The performance seems to be consistently good. Finally the Lumia camera is back as well.

You know what, maybe it's because I use Glance screen, where it's not fully off all the time. If you're okay with using Glance Screen, try giving that a shot.

Also are you doing hotspot through bluetooth or through wifi? It works on both for me, but I do switch between the two.

Good luck!

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
You know what, maybe it's because I use Glance screen, where it's not fully off all the time. If you're okay with using Glance Screen, try giving that a shot.

Also are you doing hotspot through bluetooth or through wifi? It works on both for me, but I do switch between the two.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't seem to help. I had my glance on interval with always on when connected to power. I changed it to always on (even when unplugged) and also tried turning it off and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I am trying to create the access point with WiFi. I did just try bluetooth and that did seem to actually keep a connection under the lock screen, so it's nice to know that's an alternative. I still prefer wifi though, as it's a bit less finicky in setting up.

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't seem to help. I had my glance on interval with always on when connected to power. I changed it to always on (even when unplugged) and also tried turning it off and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I am trying to create the access point with WiFi. I did just try bluetooth and that did seem to actually keep a connection under the lock screen, so it's nice to know that's an alternative. I still prefer wifi though, as it's a bit less finicky in setting up.

Okay yeah, I am able to reproduce the wifi issue, so it IS a pretty big problem. I've been able to do a work around by using an app that has a "dock" mode to keep the screen alive.

Hopefully they fix it in the next build.

kxcd

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
As lumia 1020 users, I still think wm10 isn't optimised for our phones battery wise. My battery dropped from 45% to 25% in 18 minutes while checking emails, 6tag, app updates and whatsapp. I didn't upload, only 3 emails came in, 2 app updates and scrolled through a few dozen photos. This was on wifi. Same situation on cellular. Very fast battery drain

Yep, totally agree. I can sit there and check email, Facebook, Twitter, Untapped, use Edge for browsing etc. via WiFi and my 1020 will drain 25%-30% an hour. In standby, if I am at work and it's just sitting on my desk all day, the battery might drain 15%-20% in 10 hours...

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay so battery problem still exists, performance is smooth. And Wi-Fi hotspot problem still exists.... at least they didn't break anything? :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Agil Ristiyanto

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
my Lumia 1020 now on build 10586.36, all pro camera applications (i.e Lumia Camera, Lumia Panorama, Lumia Selfie, Lumia Refocus, Nokia Smart Cam) is working well,.. no heating, battery life pretty good for my daily use average 10-12 hours,

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
my Lumia 1020 now on build 10586.36, all pro camera applications (i.e Lumia Camera, Lumia Panorama, Lumia Selfie, Lumia Refocus, Nokia Smart Cam) is working well,.. no heating, battery life pretty good for my daily use average 10-12 hours,

Nice, i have the same experience. When you were on win8.1 did you still get 10-12 hours?

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
What about overall smoothness etc. Is it as good as 8.1 now?

I find itvery smooth, sometimes a little slow. I hope the slowness disappears after they remove the debugging code
Apps mostly run smooth
Switching between apps runs smooth
Internet browsing ymmv depending on page
Slowness more noticable when switching in nd out of typing mode
Battery life till blows , I permanently have it in the extended battery camera case right now

But the camera launches super fast lol

Agil Ristiyanto

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Nice, i have the same experience. When you were on win8.1 did you still get 10-12 hours?
for almost 1 year with WP 8.1 battery life is seems like no different
What about overall smoothness etc. Is it as good as 8.1 now?
for my devices which I always touch smoothly, the smoothness is exited me, also super sensitive touch is pretty well, when I used it inside the freezer room as calculator and torch, of course I wear gloves cloth.

steva11

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I had a 1020 about a year and a half ago but got rid of it. I've used a couple phones since then, most recently an LG G3. There were a few events lately where the G3 took horrible looking low-light photos so I decided to come back to a 1020 (I don't like carrying around an extra camera)

I installed windows 10 am running 10.0.10586.36. it's mostly fine. some lag when launching apps and stuff but my main concern is the video. The amount of noise is insane. Does anyone else have this problem? i looked at videos from when i was running 8.1 in similiar, or even darker lighting conditions and it never looked so bad as with this new build.

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I had a 1020 about a year and a half ago but got rid of it. I've used a couple phones since then, most recently an LG G3. There were a few events lately where the G3 took horrible looking low-light photos so I decided to come back to a 1020 (I don't like carrying around an extra camera)

I installed windows 10 am running 10.0.10586.36. it's mostly fine. some lag when launching apps and stuff but my main concern is the video. The amount of noise is insane. Does anyone else have this problem? i looked at videos from when i was running 8.1 in similiar, or even darker lighting conditions and it never looked so bad as with this new build.

Are you using the lumia camera app or the Microsoft Camera app to do the videos?

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Generic question to this thread of people using the Win 10 builds, how much was your battery life with Win 8.1 and what does it show now for Win 10?

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
With 8.1, my 1020 averaged 7hrs on 3G mode (GSM) under heavy usage. With W10 (10.0.10586.36), I'm getting 4 to 5hrs on 3G mode (GSM) under heavy usage.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Generic question to this thread of people using the Win 10 builds, how much was your battery life with Win 8.1 and what does it show now for Win 10?

Battery drain is quicker on this build especially when you use internet, irrespective of whether it is 2G or 3G or LTE or WiFi. I've noticed drains of 1% per minute when on internet such as 6tag or whatsapp

But on camera it's normal. I can take about 240 shots while battery goes from 100% to 20% and location is on which is what I used to get on 8.1 though in 8.1 I could get a few dozen more shots but my battery is getting old

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle