Lumia 1020 camera won't focus - possibly broken?

brklz

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 1020 camera won't focus - possibly broken

My Lumia 1020's camera will still take pictures, but it can only focus on the closest objects (i.e. 'macro' photography).

Sometimes when I turn the camera on it will attempt to re-focus, but then immediately refocus with focal point about 8 inches in front of the camera.

As I said, the pictures are great... if you're focusing on something very close.

I can't tell if this is a hardware or software issue. Phone is out of warranty, and I don't want to pay Palcotech $150 to see if they can solve the issue.

Any help would be great, thanks!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 camera won't focus - possibly broken

Have you tried any of the following:

1. Restart your phone?
2. Perform a soft reset on your phone?
3. Check for the latest OS updates?

If you did, then indeed it most likely is already a hardware issue.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

brklz

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site

Hi and thanks gpobernardo. This is OP.

1. Yes, turned the phone off and on
2. Yes, and tried the software recovery wizard.
3. Yes, updated to WP 8.10.14226.359. Also updated camera app.

I love the camera and would love to get it working again. I don't know if I trust a 3rd party repair shop without a guarantee, though.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Hello, too.

I forgot to ask you how old your L1020 is. Mine is already two years old, although the camera is still working.

Have you considered updating to Windows 10 Mobile? You can either wait for the official update to be released to you or you can get it now using the Insider Program for Windows Phones (the current version is already stable, although more updates are still expected to come and improve it). I'm not saying that this would fix the issue, though, but it's the only remaining item that can be done before we conclude that it is already indeed a hardware-level issue.

brklz

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for your help. Phone is 2 years old.

Have you considered updating to Windows 10 Mobile?
I have considered the W10M insider program. I may try that as a last resort. It's likely hardware, oh well.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks like my 1020 might be having autofocus problems at longer distances especially with Lumia camera.
Tried moving up to WM10 .164 and moving back to 8.1 for the same result.

It's not failing completely then again perhaps I have just forgotten how to snap pics :(
New replacement camera modules are $50 bucks on E-Bay.
The phone isn't hard to pop apart.

Not sure I want to rebuild this thing since I've gotten my moneys worth out of the old girl.

Last edited:

scottyd1986

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I had this problem too and it was an easy fix, there will be something sticking in the camera mechanism preventing focus. Hold the phone as if you have just picked it up off the table and Vigorously shake the phone as if you are screwing something backwards and forwards and try again with focus, it should work straight away.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had this problem too and it was an easy fix, there will be something sticking in the camera mechanism preventing focus. Hold the phone as if you have just picked it up off the table and Vigorously shake the phone as if you are screwing something backwards and forwards and try again with focus, it should work straight away.

kind of like slapping the TV remote to get it to work :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6