Redstone on the 1020

Mauro Lodi

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, I've managed to get the 14393. Now what about future updates? I've seen that the insider app has been moved into the settings menu but I cannot change anything in there. Also the new panorama camera app,how to get it? thanks again

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading reports that Windows Insider no longer updates x2x WP8.1 phones to W10M Threshold on Release Preview ring. Can anyone confirm? If so, it's worrying as it cuts out the easy way of rooting our phones or simply upgrading to W10M, throwing us back on the risky way using Windows Phone Internals. Especially with the 1020s which have the Samsung eMMC memory which potentially has the brick bug (according to WP Internals) it seems pretty risky to do it this way? Mine is currently on Threshold anyway, as I updated with Insider, but if I ever need to flash back to 8.1, it seems the easy upgrade path is being blocked. Can anyone confirm?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading reports that Windows Insider no longer updates x2x WP8.1 phones to W10M Threshold on Release Preview ring. Can anyone confirm? If so, it's worrying as it cuts out the easy way of rooting our phones or simply upgrading to W10M, throwing us back on the risky way using Windows Phone Internals. Especially with the 1020s which have the Samsung eMMC memory which potentially has the brick bug (according to WP Internals) it seems pretty risky to do it this way? Mine is currently on Threshold anyway, as I updated with Insider, but if I ever need to flash back to 8.1, it seems the easy upgrade path is being blocked. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm this, yes. I was stupid and rolled back to 8.1 a few days ago. Now I can't get to 10586 again and therefore not to Redstone.
I will watch the WPInternals method closely and if there will be Redstone-Custom ROMs available for the 1020

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader with WPInternals and enabled mass storage mode, changed the phone ID in the registry and succeeded in installing Redstone again. Yay!

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey you know how to write a procedure to change the registry by using mass storage mode? Thank you

Straight copy from a post of the member "Swordfishx86" of the xda-forums:
"I think what tofuschnitte suggest ist to install 8.1 through WDRT, use wpinternals to unlock the bootloader, enable mass storage mode, use wpinternals to boot the phone in mass storage mode and use regedit on your computer to edit the registry.

You can open regedit, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and use [File]->[Load Hive...] to load [Phone]:\windows\system32\config\system. Next you'll be asked for a name for the Hive. Name it something obvious like "PHONE_SYSTEM". Next Navigate to HKLM\PHONE_SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo and change

// edit: Use values at your own discretion. The values suggested here will give you a phablet interface.

PhoneManufacturer to "Microsoft MDG"
PhoneModelName to "Lumia 1520"
PhoneManufacturerModelName to "RM-938_1000"

Unload the Hive by selecting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PHONE_SYSTEM in the tree view and use [File]->[Unload Hive...]. Press and hold [Powerbutton] and [Volume down] to reboot your phone to normal mode.
Join the Fast Ring using Windows Insider tool and check for updates. "

That worked for me. You have to have the correct
  • Firmware
  • Emergency Flash Loader
  • and Engineering SBL3 files
for your 1020. Please notice that there's a high risk of damaging your phone if something goes wrong.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
btw: if you are in mass storage mode, you can easily copy a modified hosts file to your phone and therefore eliminate ads in Edge :cool:

mjohnson0584

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I sold off my 1020 but plan on getting an old one and updating using the method described here. If there is a video tutorial, that would be awesome!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a guy on the xda forums who managed to put Android on a 950 XL. That only worked because the Nexus 6P and the 950 XL have the exact same hardware
I am so skeptical of this I'll have to go check that out.

EDIT: I can't find it, can you help me find the source?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3