Can I charge my Nokia Lumia 1020 with an 220v charger?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Can i charge my nokia lumia 1020 with a 220v charger?

I often forgets my charger at home plus since I live in a country with 220v sockets, I use a transporter for charging my phone using its original charger with 110v. I use my phone very frequently and it frustrates me when the battery is drained and I can't charge my phone because I am afraid to use a charger that's 220v because I'm thinking my phone might suddenly explode. I dont want to risk my phone. Cam someone please help me out? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Charliefr3sh

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can i charge my nokia lumia 1020 with a 220v charger?

I often forgets my charger at home plus since I live in a country with 220v sockets, I use a transporter for charging my phone using its original charger with 110v. I use my phone very frequently and it frustrates me when the battery is drained and I can't charge my phone because I am afraid to use a charger that's 220v because I'm thinking my phone might suddenly explode. I dont want to risk my phone. Cam someone please help me out? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Lol, it's not about the voltage input but the output. You and your phone are totally safe to use the charger as the output voltage will be within the rated spec. If you look closely at your charger, you might find that it uses 110V - 220V, 50Hz - 60Hz. That just means that charger will work anywhere, even in the States.
Your phone won't suddenly explode as it's only being charged by the DC output from the charger and not the AC input. I'll say it again, you are safe to use the charger

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Simply read carefully the charger label: most of universal modern usb wall charger are 110-220 input by fabric.
Put attention on OUTPUT: it must be 5 v (volt) and no more than 2000 mAh (2 A)

Pratically any original and compatible charger on earth (absolutely AVOID ultra cheap chargers!!!!)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Simply read carefully the charger label: most of universal modern usb wall charger are 110-220 input by fabric.
Put attention on OUTPUT: it must be 5 v (volt) and no more than 2000 mAh (2 A)

Pratically any original and compatible charger on earth (absolutely AVOID ultra cheap chargers!!!!)

the original lumia 1020 charger has an output of 5V and 1.5A. It also shows input of 100-230V 50-60Hz. So yes, the charger can be used anywhere as long as you get the compatible pin type

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Is the OP really using a transformer, or is s/he using an adapter to change the socket type? Real transformers that transform 220V to 110V are pretty bulky, or at least used to be. All modern USB chargers are capable of accepting the full range of voltage found in homes (other than 450V oven supplies!).

Ayniee

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I am using a transformer that's why its so inconvenient to carry around with me since its very heavy and as you say, bulky. So i often think "Can i use another charger to charge my phone? What if my phone suddenly explodes since i would be charging it to a 220v outlet?" Please explain your answer to me very lightly since im not really familiar with electrical stuff. Thank you very much! WP_20160701_15_04_20_Pro.jpg

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am using a transformer that's why its so inconvenient to carry around with me since its very heavy and as you say, bulky. So i often think "Can i use another charger to charge my phone? What if my phone suddenly explodes since i would be charging it to a 220v outlet?" Please explain your answer to me very lightly since im not really familiar with electrical stuff. Thank you very much!View attachment 128043

if you check the charger, there should be some writings on it (very small text) that shows some details about the charger

I expect it to say this:

AC voltage input 100-240V. This means you can plug your charger in any socket that has voltages between 100 and 240V
AC current input - how much current the charger will use from the wall socket

DC voltage output 5V - this is the voltage your phone gets from the charger
DC Current output 1.5A - this is the current the phone will use to charge.

So, about this part
What if my phone suddenly explodes since i would be charging it to a 220v outlet
, if your charger has the writings 100-240V or something similar, then it is safe to use it in 220V

Ayniee

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
if you check the charger, there should be some writings on it (very small text) that shows some details about the charger

I expect it to say this:

AC voltage input 100-240V. This means you can plug your charger in any socket that has voltages between 100 and 240V
AC current input - how much current the charger will use from the wall socket

DC voltage output 5V - this is the voltage your phone gets from the charger
DC Current output 1.5A - this is the current the phone will use to charge.

So, about this part , if your charger has the writings 100-240V or something similar, then it is safe to use it in 220V
So its okay to charge my phone using a different charger? It still worries me so please bear with me. I just cant really risk my phone without being sure enough.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So its okay to charge my phone using a different charger? It still worries me so please bear with me. I just cant really risk my phone without being sure enough.

I used to have a 1020 (got stolen) and I used my brothers Lumia 640 charger, my surface 3 charger (which has 2.5A), charging from USB from pc, some other charger now and then and power banks. I've never had any issue with any of them. What is different is the rate of charging

But to clear your doubts check these articles: What You Need to Know About Power Outlets and Voltages When Travelling Internationally

Electricity Overseas: Converters, Adapters and Beyond | IndependentTraveler.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb