Lumia 1020 camera vs Google Pixel?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
There's been a lot of buzz going around about how Google's new pixel phone has a really amazing camera. It's only 12 MP though if I remember correctly. So really, how does it compare to the 40 MP photos that the Lumia 1020 can take? Has megapixel count really become irrelevant or is the Pixel's camera hype just hot-air?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Does it really matter though? 1020 runs an outdated OS.

I'm just wondering if megapixel counts still make a big difference in pictures. We can use the lumia 950 as an example then since it has the newest OS. It still has a 20 megapixel camera if I remember correctly, so does that automatically make it better than the Pixel's camera?

lunta

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Megapixels definitely don't matter, except when zooming is needed. This is not a problem for real cameras with optical zoom, but digital zoom is usually crap.

This is the only reason for Lumia's high megapixel sensors, with 40 MPix there is enough pixels to zoom in, i.e. crop the image without loosing details.

I also love the wonderful 25mm wide angle lens Lumia 1020 has. In landscape photography there is always the same issue trying to fit lots of scenery into one photo, where a wide angle lens is needed.

Now there are lots of other phones with really bright optics and good quality sensors, that are in pair, or even better, than 1020, but then their (35mm equivalent) focal length is something close to 28mm, or even more. 100% dealbreaker for me.

Once you get used to Nokia's ~25mm wide angle lens it is impossible to move back to so heavily cropped view angle we see in iPhones and Samsungs.

Last edited:

becakmang

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 (and other lumias) have oversampling algorithms, this means although your camera is 41mp,choose 5mp. This means the extra pixels are used to reduce any noise within the 5mp, essentially the Lumia 1020 has the best 5mp camera around. You can also zoom in without loosing any quality (up to a certain extent). I dont recommend leaving your camera on its maximum mp, simply because you won't benefit. Unless you like to crop your pictures.for day to day, I use 8mp on my 950xl.

becakmang

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Also, the older Nokia lumias have a much less processed pictures. Which means you can play with the picture on other software's. Unfortunately, the newer lumias have a similar level of post processing to the competitors. In saying that, the auto HDR is the best. Beats anything out there.

darius_robin

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
There's been a lot of buzz going around about how Google's new pixel phone has a really amazing camera. It's only 12 MP though if I remember correctly. So really, how does it compare to the 40 MP photos that the Lumia 1020 can take? Has megapixel count really become irrelevant or is the Pixel's camera hype just hot-air?

The Pixel and iPhone 7 currently have the best smartphone cameras, gone is the time when camera quality was all about megapixels.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would have to say that one component in isolation cannot be the only deciding factor. Not even the sum total of the hardware components... Software plays a role as well.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 has a big 1/1.5? sensor. Google Pixel Phone only a small 1/2.3" sensor and no optical image stabilization (OIS). Lumia 1020 is in a different Photography-league (it's only slower).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss