Wireless Charging on the Lumia 1320

tag12895

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a Lumia 920 to a 1320 earlier this year and the only feature I miss is wireless charging. It was super useful and I bought a JBL PowerUp pretty much for the charging function.
I've been looking at adding wireless charging functionality to my 1320 via a micro USB charging pad, and eventually hardwiring it in. But there is one major problem, the speaker. Being located directly above the the USB port, the cable will block the speaker and will make the phone next to useless. Because the wireless charging pads are so delicate I don't think I would be able to bend or crimp the wire to make it fit around the speaker.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed from here? And no, giving up is not an option.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There isn't going to be any official reply due to the nature of the problem.

I would consider adding something to push the ribbon up off the speaker but not bend it. (basically having it go over the speaker, just not immediately blocking it)

Perhaps another USB pad with different shaped wiring is something that could work.

If you're so inclined, people have hacked wireless charging into devices where it initially wasn't there such as sticking a Palm Touchstone charging coil into the Lumia 800 or HTC.

tag12895

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
My long-term plan is to hard wire the charging pad in, but while the phone is my daily driver I'd rather not risk pulling the phone apart to do it. The problem is all the chargers I can find have a similar design, and I'm afraid if I bend the wire it may break the connection, or at the worst, short circuit and damage the phone. What I'm thinking of doing is buying one and trying to split the wires either side of the speaker, or maybe solder seperate wires onto the adapter to make it easier to bend around.

tag12895

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I think I've figured it out. The speaker assembly is mounted in the battery cover of the phone, so if I put the charging pad under that it with avoid my problem. However if the charging pad is too thick the torx screws may not tighten again. Also I'm not sure if it will charge through 2 plastic covers and a flip case. I will post pictures when I get it all and try to make it work.

tremulous tetra

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
so, did you manage it? Any pictures? Would be really helpful for me, because my hands are paralysed I have to rely on other people plugging in the USB, and it's regularly getting broke.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
so, did you manage it? Any pictures? Would be really helpful for me, because my hands are paralysed I have to rely on other people plugging in the USB, and it's regularly getting broke.

I can't speak for tag but I would do one of two things:

1. microUSB Qi pad.
You can use your current device, the connector might be less reliable though.

2. Get a different phone. The Lumia 920, 1520, 830... among some others have Qi capability or at least has an optional official solution available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3