LUMIA DENIM has no FIRMWARE UPDATE???

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
kinda weird.. my lumia 1320 is enrolled to Preview for dev. i have OS 14219 right now. heres what i see..

when preview for dev is enabled..extras+info is saying Cyan
when its off.. says Denim...

wonder what the update really does for other devices aside from 830,930 and 1520...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a bug in extras+info that affects some users in which Denim is incorrectly displayed.

Denim IS firmware.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Denim is only a firmware update. It has no connection to the developer's preview nor to the OS updates. To oversimplify those ride on top of the firmware; hence the fact you can install the developer's preview without the firmware updates (cyan and denim) and most things will work but some tied to the firmware will not function (or function incorrectly). You are probably seeing a version of the bug documented previously regarding denim being displayed even when not installed or (if denim is installed) the developer's preview may not have been updated to display it under extras. Regardless of all that though, your essential comment is backwards. Denim is just the firmware update and nothing more....

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
kinda weird.. my lumia 1320 is enrolled to Preview for dev. i have OS 14219 right now. heres what i see..

when preview for dev is enabled..extras+info is saying Cyan
when its off.. says Denim...

wonder what the update really does for other devices aside from 830,930 and 1520...

This is also the case in my L1020 - PFD ("Cyan"), no PFD ("Denim"). However, this seems to be a glitch with the extras+info since Denim hasn't been rolled out for the L1020 in my country. Simply restarting my phone didn't change what was in my extras+info: still "Denim" without PFD, but says "Cyan" with PFD. My firmware revision number is still the same as what is listed in the official Microsoft website as "Cyan", so I'm still expecting to receive the "real" Denim update when it begins rolling out next year (early January).

I have no technical information on this, but I'm guessing that this glitch is caused by some of the features of the official Denim update being already available to those under PFD (Live folders, Cortana availability in more regions, variable snooze time for Alarms, etc.).

P.S.
The simple toggling of the PFD in the app seems to affect the responsiveness of my phone, whereas my phone runs a bit smoother when PFD is not checked. Some apps also launch faster without PFD (even when the PFD app is still installed), e.g. Skype won't even launch at all with PFD* but now it runs smoothly without PFD**.

*- I restarted my phone and even performed a soft reset without unchecking PFD hoping that it would improve the responsiveness of my phone - but without success.

**- I didn't have to restart my phone after unchecking PFD to observe an increase in responsiveness, but I restarted my phone nonetheless to see if the "Denim" under extras+info would revert back to Cyan as reported in a recent bug.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Denim IS firmware.

That's true only for the newer devices, for the older devices the firmware version stays the same as Cyan but the OS is bumped to 8.1.1. In case of the 1320, the firmware is still Cyan and Microsoft is calling it Denim. Something tells me Microsoft wouldn't be pushing any firmware update for Denim for older devices and call the Cyan firmware Denim by updating the OS only

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That's true only for the newer devices, for the older devices the firmware version stays the same as Cyan but the OS is bumped to 8.1.1. In case of the 1320, the firmware is still Cyan and Microsoft is calling it Denim. Something tells me Microsoft wouldn't be pushing any firmware update for Denim for older devices and call the Cyan firmware Denim by updating the OS only

What are you talking about? Denim is firmware, period. If you aren't on PFD, then Denim is packaged with 8.1.1 I believe. But Denim is a firm update regardless of the age of the device.

If you are seeing Denim but the firmware version is Cyan, it's probably the known glitch you are seeing that Daniel Rubino has mentioned multiple times.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? Denim is firmware, period. If you aren't on PFD, then Denim is packaged with 8.1.1 I believe. But Denim is a firm update regardless of the age of the device.

If you are seeing Denim but the firmware version is Cyan, it's probably the known glitch you are seeing that Daniel Rubino has mentioned multiple times.

Again, believing Daniel Rubino is one thing and checking facts on Microsoft's website is another. Check the firmware revision on Microsoft's site and you'll know what I'm saying.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Again, believing Daniel Rubino is one thing and checking facts on Microsoft's website is another. Check the firmware revision on Microsoft's site and you'll know what I'm saying.

That would explain the so called "glitch" in PFD that changes the firmware to Denim. The OS sees that it's on 8.1.1, is on an older device like a 1020, and the firmware version number is "Cyan" which would make it technically Denim.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That would explain the so called "glitch" in PFD that changes the firmware to Denim. The OS sees that it's on 8.1.1, is on an older device like a 1020, and the firmware version number is "Cyan" which would make it technically Denim.

Yep that's what I meant. So may be the glitch wasn't never a glitch but a planned move by Microsoft.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Yep that's what I meant. So may be the glitch wasn't never a glitch but a planned move by Microsoft.
The Denim Extras+Info bug might be by design Here's me agreeing with you.
After an update to the extras+info app, the app would read Lumia Denim for Lumias users who were on Windows Phone 8.1.1 and had opted out of the dev preview. This has been treated as a bug for a while, but the roll-out of “Lumias Denim” yesterday may have shed some light on this.

The answer is, I believe that extras+info has been modified to read the OS version rather than the firmware version. This is why the bug has not been fixed despite extras+info receiving more updates, because it may have been intentional and not an actual bug.

Why on earth would Microsoft modify the app to read OS version rather than firmware version?

Simple, this is because some Lumias devices would not receive any additional firmware with GDR1. Mainly all Lumias that are not the 1520, 930, Icon and 830. Those devices are the ones receiving updates namely “Hey Cortana” and “Lumias Camera 5″.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2