Will the 1080 screen actually make us lose the wide tile "feature"?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
In the leaks and rumors, we are given the impression that we get an extra column. (double wide) This is great, but does that mean that we can't have a tile span the entire width of the screen? I like my screen without much clutter and think the wide tile helps accomplish that. I don't want to lose the ability to tile span the width of the screen with 1080.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You're probably right. I was (am) hoping someone would ease my fears and post an article or leaked image of the new res screen with a tile spanning the width.

After all, as I think I was the fist person to buy the Samsung Focus, we had the wide tile from the beginning:)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As said, no one knows for sure.

Playing the guessing game? My guess is there won't be one. Why? Either devs would have to create yet another tile size, or tiles would have to be stretched (and look bad).

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been "concerned" about the same issue. I also love the wide tile spanning the entire screen. The live tiles are really small on the 1080p screen. I guess we'll see.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The live tiles are really small on the 1080p screen.
Assuming a 6" 16:9 screen, the screen width will allow for tiles that are physically about 85% the size of the tiles on the 920's 4.5" 16:10 screen. That will make positioning your finger a bit more difficult, but not terribly so. (1080p at 5" has touch targets would be about 71% the size of the 920's.)

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am another who is very concerned about this. I do not like the medium tiles at all and don't use them. I only use small and "wide" tiles and will be very very disappointed if I cannot have a tile spanning the whole width of the screen. I hops this does not end up being the case. The idea of a phablet with a wide tile, such as the WPcentral tile displaying even more info across the screen than they do now is very appealing.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow, the fact that some of us are stating that we like something and are hoping it doesn't get taken away bothers you that much huh. You happen to notice that everyone else on this thread is having a mature conversation and offering useful info and opinions? And then there is you. It's been enlightening though, it really has. Learned a lot about you in just 10 seconds. How about if you have nothing worthwhile to say, you don't post. Problem Solved.

Jeric820PH

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
or Another idea or solution that would be awesome is the ability to have an option in settings to choose if you want 720p or 1080p resolution.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow, the fact that some of us are stating that we like something and are hoping it doesn't get taken away bothers you that much huh. You happen to notice that everyone else on this thread is having a mature conversation and offering useful info and opinions? And then there is you. It's been enlightening though, it really has. Learned a lot about you in just 10 seconds. How about if you have nothing worthwhile to say, you don't post. Problem Solved.

Doesn't bother me at all. In the leaked photos it looks there isn't any tiles that stretch all the way from one edge of the screen to the other. Granted that is a 5 and over inch screen. So if you guys don't like it how there isn't a tile that stretches all the way over than don't buy those phones. The question I guess you should be asking is if windows phones with smaller screens and 1080p resolution will have a tile that can stretch all the way across.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So now you have me wondering. And let me 1st say that as a previous owner of a Galaxy Note, I would love a 5-5.3 inch screen and do think this will be slightly too big for my taste. But your "question" has me wondering about something. If it would be possible for smaller 1080p screens to have the screen wide tiles, why would it not be possible on the larger screens? Isn't this directly related to the resolution and not the screen size? That was my understanding up to this point anyway.

Part of me thinks that the tiles on this "leak" were arranged that way just to show the extra row and don't necessarily mean it won't be possible, but I am still concerned. We will know soon enough I guess, or maybe not, depending on when we actually get info on the capabilities and features of GDR3 which may not be the same time as the unveiling of this device. I just have a hard time imagining them, after promoting the idea of wide tiles that display info, removing the ability to have them display the whole width of the screen. Having said that, with my luck, much like with TV shows, the things I like usually don't last.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't know what Microsoft is thinking...odd number of columns doesn't look right at all. But yes you are right about that the tiles are based on resolution, so that means for a phone with a smaller screen then the tiles would be smaller than on a larger display. And it would still have the three "regular" size columns...im guessing WPs with "smaller" displays won't get 1080p displays in future unless Microsoft is wanting for all phones to have the same experience.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't know what Microsoft is thinking...odd number of columns doesn't look right at all. But yes you are right about that the tiles are based on resolution, so that means for a phone with a smaller screen then the tiles would be smaller than on a larger display. And it would still have the three "regular" size columns...im guessing WPs with "smaller" displays won't get 1080p displays in future unless Microsoft is wanting for all phones to have the same experience.
Think of it this way.

We're returning to 7.5-style tiles.

Three columns of tiles on a screen can fit. (Well, there's this 1/3 gutter space on 7.5)

Besides, I see HTC re-releasing the One on WP with practically the same specs as the Android version. And, its screen is just as large as a Titan!

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the gutter didn't take up 1/3rd of the start screen in 7.5...you should get a pair of glasses if you don't have a pair yet...that or a better lens subscription lol. And 7.5 had two columns of tiles...so I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
7.x used tiles of 173px with a gap of 18px (although I'm not certain of the gap).

8.x uses 336px for its medium-sized tiles with a gap of 18 pixels. That leaves wide left and right margins for 800x480 and 1280x768 screens.

Does anyone know if the 1280x720 devices use a smaller left and right margin?

My guess is that the 1080p devices will keep 336px tiles and 18px gaps between them. That leaves just 18px on the left and right sides.

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Will this feature of having three tiles in a column be made available on existing devices as well? Or is it just for the 1080p devices?

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss