Lumia 1520 will use IPS LCD instead

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
According to my friend who works at Nokia, Nokia chose to bring back IPS LCD for its Lumia 1520. Thats all he would reveal at the moment

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just like I had thought.. I think I'm kinda familiar with mobile company strategies and can pretty much guess what will they bring ;-)

Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I prefer IPS displays they are heavier bit I think LCD displays are brighter and have move vivid color.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess they didn't need to get every bit of battery life out of this phone. That big battery must power the phone well. AMOLEDS can certainly look great, but that scrolling blur... :shudder:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess they didn't need to get every bit of battery life out of this phone. That big battery must power the phone well. AMOLEDS can certainly look great, but that scrolling blur... :shudder:
You can get better battery life on AMOLED's with the right conditions, especially back in the days, but LCD's have come a long way in that time. AMOLED's struggle especially bad on white background and black text with using much more battery than LCD's. These days there's really no noticeable difference between the two on batter life. There are bad IPS and AMOLED screens like there are SoC's.

If Nokia will use IPS, I would imaging it will have most of all to do with them spreading their component distributors, like the "odd" Lumia 920 with its IPS screen was likely about. Samsung controls that AMOLED side.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Wasn't expecting this. I've come to love AMOLED screens. Put a 920 side by side with an ATIV S - I love the display on the ATIV S.

Still looking forward to the 1520 none the less, but now slightly inclined to wait for a "February 2014 WP8.1 phone" if that happens to be in the pipeline.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
According to my friend who works at Nokia, Nokia chose to bring back IPS LCD for its Lumia 1520. Thats all he would reveal at the moment
muppet%20head%20turn.GIF

black-kid-crying.jpg
clapping.gif
Thank you Nokia. Long live IPS LCD!

Last edited:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I mean, wasn't it obvious?

No offense but whenever a photo of a digitizer leaks, that means the digitizer can be removed. Thats impossible for AMOLEDs as the digitizer and OLED panel are bonded together before delivery to final assembly so that means it will use an IPS LCD panel unless this photo was taken before bonding the screen to the digitizer which is very very unlikely. Those areas are top secret too.

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
You can get better battery life on AMOLED's with the right conditions, especially back in the days, but LCD's have come a long way in that time. AMOLED's struggle especially bad on white background and black text with using much more battery than LCD's. These days there's really no noticeable difference between the two on batter life. There are bad IPS and AMOLED screens like there are SoC's.

If Nokia will use IPS, I would imaging it will have most of all to do with them spreading their component distributors, like the "odd" Lumia 920 with its IPS screen was likely about. Samsung controls that AMOLED side.

Honestly the only kind of LCD that I'm really waiting for is the IGZO LCD display by Sharp...check out the claimed battery life improvements by using this LCD screen...DAMN!

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly the only kind of LCD that I'm really waiting for is the IGZO LCD display by Sharp...check out the claimed battery life improvements by using this LCD screen...DAMN!

Yeah, really waiting to see those live. Was actually just yesterday reading about those screens as I was looking at possible next gen Macbook Air's. :)

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll just weigh in and say from an image quality standpoint, I much prefer what an IPS LCD can do. The one thing I like about OLED is that it can selectively light any portion of the screen. Everything else I do not like (over saturation, lifespan color shift, power sapping on white backgrounds whereas on LCD I don't ever need to think about it, power limiting on white backgrounds meaning it will actually dim if there is too much white).

rick98761

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the glance screen rely pretty heavily on amoled so it only has to power a few pixels. How big of a hit to battery life is glance screen on a 920?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes