Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

I was reading these post before I got mine and was a little afraid that it was a widespread problem, on my first one and its 100% good I don't even have a problem with swipes going as a tap

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

I was reading these post before I got mine and was a little afraid that it was a widespread problem, on my first one and its 100% good I don't even have a problem with swipes going as a tap

same here, my touch screen has performed flawlessly.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

same here, my touch screen has performed flawlessly.

I'm on my second one now - still has the issue but drastically less than on my first one. This is definitely a hardware issue

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

magicrobots

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm having a problem where the phone restarts itself occasionally. I just got the phone yesterday afternoon, so today is my first day of full use. It has restarted itself 3 times. One of those times it came back up with the "Lightning Bolt / Gear" icon and I had to soft reboot it, but it's been THE BEST PHONE EVER otherwise. :)

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

AS of yesterday most apps on my 1520 crash. They open and immediately crash and sends me to the start screen. some apps are speed test, here maps and here drive, package tracker.... reinstalling the apps wasn't a fix...

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm on my second one now - still has the issue but drastically less than on my first one. This is definitely a hardware issue

That's an odd assumption to make. You haven't considered that you've just managed to become more adapted to the screen over time and no longer make the smaller swipes...

I noticed that I was having the swipe/tap issue initially...but I didn't take my 1520 in and swap it and over time I've noticed that it happens less often...due to me changing how I swipe and tap.

I'm having a problem where the phone restarts itself occasionally. I just got the phone yesterday afternoon, so today is my first day of full use. It has restarted itself 3 times. One of those times it came back up with the "Lightning Bolt / Gear" icon and I had to soft reboot it, but it's been THE BEST PHONE EVER otherwise. :)

If it's doing that hard reset the phone, and then check to see if it clears up. If it doesn't take it back to the store and swap it.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

my first one does that too. Reboots about 2-3 times a day, but only if the wireless radios are on. It doesn't do it in airplane mode :-/

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

That's an odd assumption to make. You haven't considered that you've just managed to become more adapted to the screen over time and no longer make the smaller swipes...

I noticed that I was having the swipe/tap issue initially...but I didn't take my 1520 in and swap it and over time I've noticed that it happens less often...due to me changing how I swipe and tap.

If it's doing that hard reset the phone, and then check to see if it clears up. If it doesn't take it back to the store and swap it.

I made that "assumption" because I haven't returned my first phone yet and I have both of them sitting next to each other. The first one has the issue, the second one doesn't. It's very easy to reproduce the issue on the first unit, which also has connection issues and reboots several times a day, while the second doesn't. However, the second one makes a highly annoying sound whenever it vibrates. Almost sounds like the quacking of a duck. I have yet to decide which one annoys me more at the moment - don't get me wrong. I love WP8 and have been a Nokia user for years, but the QC seems to have reached a new low with the 1520.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Definitely a hardware issue as you've said then since you have them both side by side. I don't know if I would say that QC is low on the 1520 though. The folks I know around here that own them haven't reported an issues and mine is working fine.

It could be that you just had the bad luck to get 2 units with odd issues in a row. I've seen it happen.

BU2B2

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

So I finally got my hands on my black 1520 and wow is it big but beautiful. I was loving it. The black looked really nice. But then I noticed that the capacitive buttons weren't vibrating! Dammit. So I asked the girlfriend to call me and the phone wasn't vibrating while it was ringing, despite the setting toggled on. I hard reset the device but to no avail.

So I went back to my local Harvey Norman (Australian electronics chain -- phone is exclusive to them) and they agreed that it was faulty but only had yellow in stock. I was a bit disappointed because I was digging the black a lot, but yellow is beautiful and I have owned a yellow 920 and 1020 before so I'm no stranger to it.

The replacement device looks pretty good, haptic feedback and vibration is working. Hopefully I won't find any other faults, particularly hardware.

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Having the touch screen issues also..Really bad during typing i get a lot of phantom key strokes. I did a hard reset and Nokia said I can send it in for repair. Guess I'm going back to my Sony Xperia Z ultra. Maybe I'll get a note 3.

Sent from my C6802 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else see this: I had purchased Stop the Music! To use on my L920. It worked without a problem. I've installed it on my L1520 and narrowed down that my volume control on the physical button or the screen volume buttons don't work while I try to use Stop the Music!. I've uninstalled it and have no problems with my volume now.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Anyone else see this: I had purchased Stop the Music! To use on my L920. It worked without a problem. I've installed it on my L1520 and narrowed down that my volume control on the physical button or the screen volume buttons don't work while I try to use Stop the Music!. I've uninstalled it and have no problems with my volume now.

Sami Hussein

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Screen responds to scrolling finger slide incorrectly and opens an app like a screen tap
this is very annoying , my Lumia 920 didn't have this problem , I tried the hard reset , switched off the backup, switched off skydrive uploads , flashed my mobile with another firmware , and I got no solution ... i'm very frustrated because of this silly problem. this is a basic feature of any mobile !

Last edited:

reeflobang

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Got my 1520 for the second day. This evening the battery suddenly started to drain very fast and the phone was very hot!

Here we will start a list of the confirmed factory defects and bugs. Please post your bugs and defects in this thread. Once we establish a pattern we can start a list.

• Bad main speaker
  • Screen turns on and off at random
  • Buttons are flush with the body of the device
  • Small speaker for calls has low volume
  • Screen responds to scrolling finger slide incorrectly and opens an app like a screen tap
  • Search button launching Bing search without being touched (Hard reset fixed this for some)
  • Random crashes on some apps, an app will just close at random

It seams that some issues can be resolved or maybe even avoided by hard resetting the device. At this point I would recommend we all do a hard reset before initial setup. I used to do this with all my devices. Turn it on for the first time, skip all the setup then do a hard reset. It might not be a bad idea to do this on your device when you first get them. Your mileage may very, reset at your own risk.

simsini

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed the phone typing letters twice or more when you have only pressed them once?

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed the phone typing letters twice or more when you have only pressed them once?

Yes I have this problem and so does many other people. I called Nokia and they had me do a hard rest but that does nothing. Then they suggested I send it back in for repairs. Have to wait to do that until I get a backup phone. Most people think it's a software issue.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

BU2B2

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

So I have noticed that when I press on the top part of the screen with a little pressure the display distorts like when you press on your LCD monitor. Has anyone had the same issue?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

So I have noticed that when I press on the top part of the screen with a little pressure the display distorts like when you press on your LCD monitor. Has anyone had the same issue?

Not an issue, it's a consequence of how they designed it with less layers in the phone between the glass and LCD. That means pressure can make it distort...but it's not going to hurt anything.

Note: If you mean under absolutely normal touches then that would be an issue. I'm saying it's not an issue in general. It's by design to help with the sunlight readability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb