Poor low light HD videos

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Ok so the photos are great, normal light and low light, and from what I see the HD video is about on par with most high end during the day.....but when it comes to low light video its way off other high end phones.
Its odd because the photos are fine in low light just not the video, the noise is very bad for a phone plugged for its low light use, and I just wonder if its a software issue and Nokia had this before?
Here are 2 videos, one 1520 and one Note 3, there are many other videos showing the noise issue (few reviews point it out and surprised) but this one shows how the Note 3 beats it at low light video.

Nokia Lumia 1520 Night Sample Video - YouTube

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Night Sample Video - YouTube

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well thats the issue, some have said more meg pix more noise, this is true but some of the others dont have it this bad.
Some big phone review sites on youtube mention this as a let down (those guys played with more phones than most) and shocked that it takes great photos but the video is not in the same class, and thats a worry, so I am trying to see if its software and the can fix/help with the issue.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That's not really true in practice. Sensor size will largely determine overall SNR for a given image resolution within the same sensor generation and technology. And it has a 1/2.5" sensor compared to the 1/3" sensor on the 920 (a size also shared with the iPhone 5S). However, the 920 has an f/2.0 lens while the 1520 is f/2.4. So half a stop slower. Should be roughly 25% less light (f/2.8 would have been 50% less light). So the ISO would be 25% higher for a given scene (assuming the same metering).

But the 1/2.5" sensor has 43% more area, roughly translated to light gathering ability. Add in the better processing theoretically enabled by more mature image processing (and Snapdragon 800) plus the theoretically newer/better sensor, and the 1520 should definitely be better than the 920.

Just like with still images, the great equalizer is final format. And a 1080p video is apples to apples. So I would put my money on software optimization that has yet to happen (another sign of a rush to release for this phone).

Last edited:

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah thats my guess, get it out for Xmas time....fix it once they bought it, same with most things these days though I wonder if it will be a top of the list fix or "meh! one day maybe"
Fair enough most filming is done in the day, but for a long time now Nokia has gone on and on about low light, their phone cams been the best, so this is a WTF! to me after seeing countless videos of past/now Lumia phones that have been great all round......and mine lands in a few days..

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
From what I gather with these youtube review/tests they leave it on auto.
Guess it just needs voiced towards Nokia that it is not the standard it should be, if none of us say anything about it, well they will just let it slide or be in no rush to look into it.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Are there other night videos showing similar noise (where the competition shows much less noise)? Or even a 920 vs 1520 night video comparison?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Definitely noisier than the 5S. I still wonder if the shutter speed is higher, requiring a higher ISO. Or if it's the processing itself that is just totally not finished. Or a little of both? I don't recall the 920 being this noisy. Which is just more fuel that this can't be the final performance of the 1520 in video.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well it would show more to you with the 1020 been a better cam/phone, but I am coming from a SGS4 and wonder if I am taking a step back, maybe not in photos but in videos.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I love my 1520 and the photos it takes but the low light video is not good at all. When I say low light I'm using it indoors at night with house lighting. I've tried it with the LED on and off. I've tried turning every light on possible and still get very grainy video. I'm trying to video our 8 month old grand daughter. I've also had problems with the audio cutting in and out. Not sure how Nokia filmed all of those concert commercials because my video is no where near the quality they show. It's not enough of a problem to me to go back to my 920 but I do hope for a fix soon.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Until we get a major technological leap in video recording, noise in dark scenes will always be there. Even in high end movie equipment.

Just so people have some perspective.

Beyond that, people seem to expect the 1520/1020 to excel in every single area related to photography/video. Let's remember the competition. They are lucky to stand out in 1 or 2 areas.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I hope its a case of rushed software and new one on its way, would be good to email Nokia (more the better) and tell them you/we are not happy with this, if we dont say anything then why fix it.
I have looked at UK site but best I can get is live chat but that will be tomorrow now, does anyone have a CS email address to start the ball rolling.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thats true, its not a TV camera after all, but the issue is that older/cheaper phones look better in low light, add to this phone reviews (see more phones then we ever will) mention the noise, leads me to think that this is not right for such a phone.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
A tweet off Nokia said to hold the power button for 10seconds to see if it helps, unsure what they mean as my phone comes in the morning.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the 808 also recorded great concert video although it missed ois so it had to be held super still , maybe send this thread to nokia via email so they can look at the videos etc??

the 10 second thing is just to soft reset your Lumia , ie a battery pull ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise