Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Hello everyone. I hadn't seen a thread yet from anyone with a 1520 that had decided to bite the bullet and install the latest GDR3 developer preview update.

I finished the install a little bit ago and decided to do some benchmarking to test out the differences from the 10517 build that already ships on the device. I had already noticed some performance improvements as noted in the news article on the front page, but I wanted to see if this was a placebo effect or a real performance change I was seeing. Sure enough there was a 6.4% performance difference in favor of the newer build.

Here's the before and after benchmark results.

Before (10517):....................................................................After (10521)
    wp_ss_20131209_0002.pngwp_ss_20131210_0001.png
    Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 12-11-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Clarified that this is the latest developer preview update and cleared up some formatting to make for less scrolling
    Thanked by:
    superlawyer15 and JaiMento like this.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    Sorry, but is this a developer's update, or something? I'm not seeing any update on my phone. Thanks in advance for the clarification.
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Yup. It is the latest update via the developer program. I'll make sure to update the post with that. :)
    Thanked by:

I thought the 1520 came with the official gdr3 and the black update already so how are you guys getting this update as well for the developer preview

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    The pics tell the story, but I'll explain it as well. :)

The 1520 ships with version 8.0.10517.150.

The dev update is version 8.0.10521.155.

Make sense? :)

Thank you for this, and any improvement is welcome
    But not familiar with WP Bench you'd say it gives consistent results?
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I had actually performed multiple runs (10) before and after the update and the results were fairly consistent. Some minor differences in score (like +/- 1 point) on the individual portions. So overall it should be indicative of the 6.4% boost I mentioned in the case of the AT&T 1520.
    Thanked by:

Well its maybe early days but can you check 2 things.
    1/ is the touch screen any better, the whole swipe been picked up as a tap issue.
    2/the horrible noise in low light videos....and lack luster all round performance with video (mainly low light)

Thanks in advance :-)

Global Posts
    4,043 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reed2 View Post
    1/ is the touch screen any better, the whole swipe been picked up as a tap issue.
    Just so you know, this happens on my 1020 also. Alot.
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reed2 View Post
    Well its maybe early days but can you check 2 things.
    2/the horrible noise in low light videos....and lack luster all round performance with video (mainly low light)

Thanks in advance :-)
    I haven't really had the swipe to tap issue, except for the first couple days. I was coming from a Lumia 900 so the size meant having to adjust how I used the screen. Once I got used to the larger size and started making slightly larger swipes I stopped having issues with the swipes becoming taps. I will say (for what it's worth) that it does seem to handle the tracking better.

On the second issue, this is just an OS update, not a firmware or OEM software update...which is what would fix the camera issues.

This will only show to those who applied for the Preview right?
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed Cutler View Post
    This will only show to those who applied for the Preview right?
    I didn't see the update until I dev unlocked the phone and installed the preview program app. I have no idea if they are rolling this out to anyone else at this point. I hadn't been keeping up on Windows Phone 8 news until just recently since I had a Lumia 900.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My homescreen sees more stuttering with this update. It seems to have done more harm than good, either that, or my eyes are playing tricks with me. It did seem to make the scrolling smoother in web browsing though.

EDIT: seems better and smoother after a reboot
    Last edited by lovenokia; 12-12-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Do a quick run on WP Bench after a reboot and see what you get. :)

How do you go about installing this, especially on an RM-937 variant? I'm not familiar with WP at all since this is my first device.
    Nokia 1520 (RM-937) Yellow :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
    Hello everyone. I hadn't seen a thread yet from anyone with a 1520 that had decided to bite the bullet and install the latest GDR3 developer preview update.

I finished the install a little bit ago and decided to do some benchmarking to test out the differences from the 10517 build that already ships on the device. I had already noticed some performance improvements as noted in the news article on the front page, but I wanted to see if this was a placebo effect or a real performance change I was seeing. Sure enough there was a 6.4% performance difference in favor of the newer build.

Here's the before and after benchmark results.

Before (10517):....................................................................After (10521)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20131209_0002.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	51712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20131210_0001.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	51713
    I was just about to post a thread for as i just read the article on Wpcentral about this.

I originally had updated my Lumia 1020 to the Developer preview for GDR3 and i did it by using the app studio.

I forgot how to do it though for my 1520 lol
    Any help would be nice :)

This new update is applicable for Att users on the 1520 correct?

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Soo, I don't have a 1520, but I ran wpbench on my 1020 post-update, and the score is inline with non-updated 820/920/1020s with snapdragon S4. So, I don't think it made a difference on my end. Could you run sunspider 1.0.2 through the web browser and post a screenshot or tell us your score post-update?

Out of interest, asking long time Nokia owners, just how long do Nokia normally take to update new phones with a fix eg HD camera in low light, hit and miss touch on screen (worse for some people than others)
    Saw on one forum that a guy who has a Nokia pal (unsure if true) said they are working on screen issue now.

do you have to developer unlock to do this?
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Yes it requires the device to be dev unlocked. It's a simple process and free if you don't want to pay for the higher end dev features on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
    Yes it requires the device to be dev unlocked. It's a simple process and free if you don't want to pay for the higher end dev features on their website.
    Can you explain how this is done?
    Nokia 1520 (RM-937) Yellow :D
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Joker View Post
    Can you explain how this is done?
    Go to Windows Phone Dev Center. On the site they have a full set of instructions. The link should be near the top right on that site. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Moiz Mian View Post
    Soo, I don't have a 1520, but I ran wpbench on my 1020 post-update, and the score is inline with non-updated 820/920/1020s with snapdragon S4. So, I don't think it made a difference on my end. Could you run sunspider 1.0.2 through the web browser and post a screenshot or tell us your score post-update?
    Here's my Sunspider run for version 1.0.2 as requested:
    wp_ss_20131212_0001.jpg
    Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 12-13-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    It seems the swipes registering as click is resolved but I will monitor this closely.

That would be good news, it might take time before I see it in UK but if it does sort the issue then there is a fix on way....now just sort the crappy low light video recording and I am happy lol

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Also, IE browsing is smoother.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast