New Sandisk 128GB MicroSDXC Support

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Good job, now we know it works for sure :) But the question remains, how good?

Since several people are reporting problems with HD video recording on SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 64GB (indicating slow write speed), it will be interesting to see how this "Ultra" works in 1520.

Could you please try recording a few HD video and see if it can do it shutter-free? and report back. Or maybe there is a better way to test the actual read and write speed inside 1520?

Last edited:

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Good job, now we know it works for sure :) But the question remains, how good?

Since several people are reporting problems with HD video recording on SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 64GB (indicating slow write speed), it will be interesting to see how this "Ultra" works in 1520.

Could you please try recording a few HD video and see if it can do it shutter-free? and report back. Or maybe there is a better way to test the actual read and write speed inside 1520?

I'll post some feedback over the next few days once I've had a chance to get it a little dirty with read/writes. What I can tell you is that it benches about 20% faster than the SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 64GB (I have a couple of those as well and that was in my 1520 until the friendly UPS Guy delivered the 128GB card today)

(File Throughput Test using CrystalDiskMark ver 3.0.2 x64 via a USB 3.0 interface running on Windows 8.1 Update 1 --Best of 3 passes):

Sequential Read : 43.652 MB/s
Sequential Write : 14.310 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 40.135 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 0.634 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.106 MB/s [ 758.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.910 MB/s [ 466.3 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.948 MB/s [ 719.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.834 MB/s [ 447.7 IOPS]

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.ca doesn't seem to have it... yet. And cheapest on eBay is $173 +$10 shipping. Guess I'll have to wait it out a little longer in Canada.

SanDisk's original announcement stated that it was initially an Amazon and Best Buy exclusive. Don't know about the country restrictions (if any) though I'm not surprised about the eBay gouging.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got one of these from Amazon today, but haven't yet tried it in the phone. But fwiw, I get stuttering recording to the older SanDisk 64GB card.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got one of these from Amazon today, but haven't yet tried it in the phone. But fwiw, I get stuttering recording to the older SanDisk 64GB card.

Been moving Music and Video back over to the new card. One thing that will be a blessing as these SD Cards get bigger is a USB 3.0 Connection :eck:

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So the card does work in our phones! Thanks for this.

Any duplicate music or photos?

Yes, but that is more of a Music/Video bug than a SD Card issue. I've found I can ease the pain if I delete both, restart the phone to get the D$#@ thing to recognize the Music and Video is missing and then installing the new card.

I also don't use xBox's cloud music service, which seems to aggravate the duplication issue as well as has an annoying propensity to stream my music (and ads) even if I have the music on local storage (This is true for Windows 8.1 app as well). For me personally I'm looking forward to the WP 8.1 version of VLC that should be out later this year as while I love many things about my Windows Phone it seems like the Music app just gets worse (for me and what I do) with each release.

I did record about 5 minutes of video last night and had no stuttering issues, as well as played back an episode of Firefly formatted in 720p low-compression WMV format. Card seems to work just fine.

- Michael

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll be ordering one as soon as they're for sale in Canada. My 64GB only has 3GB left, and my music collection keeps growing :-S

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I did record about 5 minutes of video last night and had no stuttering issues, as well as played back an episode of Firefly formatted in 720p low-compression WMV format. Card seems to work just fine.

- Michael
That's really good news, thx for reporting :smile:

Considering the price of the alternative shuttering-free high capacity card (SanDisk Extreme (Plus) microSDXC 80MB/s 64GB ), this 128GB Ultra seams to be the best choice right now, even for those who may not need that HUGE capacity right away. Keep us updated.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Cool! Can you test the speed on this card using Hardware Tests ( Hardware Tests | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) ) Is test card and phone SD interface speed. Just want to compare it with SanDisk Ultra 64Gb

Ask ye shall receive:

I found the test results from the App kind of interesting and I suspect that the Bus is a big limiting factor since I know on a fast interface the card can do (and does) considerably better.

(Thanks for the App suggestion BTW, Been looking for something like that - Michael)

ATT 1520 128GB Sandisk.jpg

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Quick Update:

I did 5 minutes of daylight video recording today (Traffic outside my window) and the shuttering at 1080/30fps does still happen, although not very often. Basically there were 3 brief moments in the video where I could see it dropped maybe 1-3 frames.

At 720p/30fps I saw no issues at all.

I can post the video on OneDrive if anyone is interested (If you are into watching traffic and trains) but for those that were hoping that they could have their 128GB cake and eat it too, I'm going to say probably not yet. For my purposes it works more than well enough and I really do want the space so I'd still say the card is a good buy unless you are heavy into 1080p motion video recording.

- Michael

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
A slightly off topic question, but will the Scandisk 128GB card work in the Dell Venue 8 Pro

I don't see any reason why it would not. I had one for about a week in December (loved it but only had it for testing/eval) and a 64GB MicroSDXC worked fine. Windows 8.1 certainly supports the size and exFAT...

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd be surprised if it didn't. This is mostly an issue of whether windows will support it.

I put my SanDisk 128GB MicroSD into my Surface Pro today. No probs whatsoever.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd be surprised if it didn't. This is mostly an issue of whether windows will support it.

I put my SanDisk 128GB MicroSD into my Surface Pro today. No probs whatsoever.

Bless you son... I was JUST coming here to see if anyone has tested it in a surface... now to order 2.. >.<

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa