Questions regarding transferring 1080p video to a Sandisk Extreme Plus micro sd card??

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow that I've had my 1520 and I love the phone and the 8.1 update so far!

My question pertains to the stuttering issue that some people have experienced when recording with the Nokia Camera app. I've read that people are having some stuttering issues recording to an SD card that is not a Sandisk Extreme Plus. That being said I was curious if you could just record video to the internal memory on the phone since people haven't had any stuttering issues with recording to the internal memory then just transfer that video (stutter free) to the SD card?? If that works then would it still matter on what micro SD card you get? Meaning could it be the SanDisk Extreme or something cheaper than the Plus version and still function and play the video because the read/write speed shouldn't matter at that point if it's already been written to the internal memory and then transferred onto the card for playing the video?

I've been looking at prices for the 64 GB SanDisk Extreme Plus card and it's showing $74.99 through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2475873

If I could get a cheaper card that still has a class 10 rating and just use the above method then I should be ok right?

I'm asking you guys who have had some experience with SD cards on the 1520

Thx again

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't transferred any files from the phone to the SD card yet as I set the SD as my primary storage space.
But, theoretically when you/if you transfer a file to the SD card then the playback will be okay. Like you said, the file was already written, it's just a matter of reading the file from there.

I personally haven't dealt with any "stuttering" during recording onto an SD card---but I have noticed a delay in what appears to be the OIS from what displays on screen vs the real-world. [it falls short by about .5-1second in terms of tracking]. Playback after recording the video was fine though. For me, the problem is especially noticeable when zoomed in.

My two cards are an Adata Premier 64gb micro SDXC class 10/uhs-1 and a Patriot 32gb micro SDHC class 10.

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for responding! I haven't ordered a micro sd card yet for my 1520 so I was just curious if I recorded to the internal storage first then transferred over to the sd card as space is needed on the phones internal memory then I could avoid getting the more expensive SanDisk Extreme Plus. I just figured it would be a cheaper work around for some people.

I'll keep an eye out on the delay you mentioned with the OIS being delayed on what's on screen.

Thx

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding! I haven't ordered a micro sd card yet for my 1520 so I was just curious if I recorded to the internal storage first then transferred over to the sd card as space is needed on the phones internal memory then I could avoid getting the more expensive SanDisk Extreme Plus. I just figured it would be a cheaper work around for some people.

I'll keep an eye out on the delay you mentioned with the OIS being delayed on what's on screen.

Thx
I just recorded nearly 40gb worth of Armin Van Buuren's "Armin Only Intense". All footage shot at 720p/30fps for maximum zoom. There was no delay this time around... recorded straight to my Adata 64gb Class 10/UHS-1. It wrote the files pretty quickly as I was able to record video and immediately switch to taking photos. Playback was perfect. Having owned the L920 I'm very satisfied with the camera on this! Sounds even better due to the extra mic and recording to the SD card [this time around] provided no delays for a seamless experience (at open zoom, partial zoom and full zoom). I recorded between 1 minute all the way to 12 minute of footage.

SO, maybe you might not have any issues recording depending on the scenario. [I also wiped all my music prior to the event... which might have helped with the seamless recording]

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
That's a lot of recording without any issues that's great! But I wonder if it was because you recorded in 720p/30fps instead of 1080p? Less data for the SD card to write? Just a thought, anyway what was the maximum zoom your talking about? Do you not get maximum zoom when you record in 1080p?

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I just recorded nearly 40gb worth of Armin Van Buuren's "Armin Only Intense". All footage shot at 720p/30fps for maximum zoom. There was no delay this time around... recorded straight to my Adata 64gb Class 10/UHS-1. It wrote the files pretty quickly as I was able to record video and immediately switch to taking photos. Playback was perfect. Having owned the L920 I'm very satisfied with the camera on this! Sounds even better due to the extra mic and recording to the SD card [this time around] provided no delays for a seamless experience (at open zoom, partial zoom and full zoom). I recorded between 1 minute all the way to 12 minute of footage.

SO, maybe you might not have any issues recording depending on the scenario. [I also wiped all my music prior to the event... which might have helped with the seamless recording]

Just curious, do you have the footage uploaded online anywhere? I'd love to see it and check out the quality if possible!

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, do you have the footage uploaded online anywhere? I'd love to see it and check out the quality if possible!
I'll try to upload some by tonight!

Going over all the footage on the phone... it's sad to say that ONE video recording got messed up. Audio is there but the video itself got messed up. Everything else looks good [aside from the volume fluctuations---probably caused by covering up the mics]

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
That's a lot of recording without any issues that's great! But I wonder if it was because you recorded in 720p/30fps instead of 1080p? Less data for the SD card to write? Just a thought, anyway what was the maximum zoom your talking about? Do you not get maximum zoom when you record in 1080p?
Yes the 720 will take less data, and in 720 you get a bit more zoom than 1080 at the sacrifice of some quality. Something I didn't mind losing since I wanted to try to get footage of Armin and the other live performances as close as possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro