Which apps support 1080p display?

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It's been a year since 1520 was released and it's sad to see apps are still not optimized for 1080p display. Most MS apps are not even optimized.

P.S. Thank god WPCentral (or should I say Windows Central?) app optimized for 1080p display! 😊

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's been a year 1520 was released and it's sad to see little support for 1080p display. Most MS apps don't even support this.
Just to clarify, I think you mean very few apps display in 1080.

Maybe they exist but I haven't run across any apps that don't work with 1080, I'm pretty sure that WP just scales any 16x9 image to 1080 on 1080 phones. Of course that won't be as sharp as a 1080 image from the app but still has the benefits that come from the larger physical size of the 1520 screen.

Some might misunderstand you to be saying the apps don't work with 1080 screens. Not good if it changes someone's mind about buying a 1520 or WP because they worry about what apps work with what phones.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Of course that won't be as sharp as a 1080 image from the app but still has the benefits that come from the larger physical size of the 1520 screen.

The benefits of a larger screen is first and foremost more screen estate. Ann optimized app should display more content on a large screen, high rez or not.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The benefits of a larger screen is first and foremost more screen estate. Ann optimized app should display more content on a large screen, high rez or not.
Absolutely NOT. You may only be thinking of how SOME people use a phone. I know people who bought a 1520 because the physical size made it easier for them to read what's on the screen. For them a 1320 would do as well, display wise. They don't want more words on the screen they want bigger words on the screen without reducing the number of words on the screen.

There is a former professional gamer in the family (world champion) and he says physical size of the screen is much more important for reaction times and accuracy than resolution or field of view for many games.

Not sure why some people think their perceptions and needs are universal. Saying the FIRST and FOREMOST benefit of a larger screen is to display more content is rather myopic.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

funny thing is, i meet many people daily, who buy larger display phones so that they can read better (they want less resolution with larger display so that text looks larger even though not sharp).

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, I think you mean very few apps display in 1080.

Maybe they exist but I haven't run across any apps that don't work with 1080, I'm pretty sure that WP just scales any 16x9 image to 1080 on 1080 phones. Of course that won't be as sharp as a 1080 image from the app but still has the benefits that come from the larger physical size of the 1520 screen.

Some might misunderstand you to be saying the apps don't work with 1080 screens. Not good if it changes someone's mind about buying a 1520 or WP because they worry about what apps work with what phones.

My bad. Optimized for 1080p display then. 👍

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

This. A good example would be Skype, which MS recently optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. WP on the other hand...

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
funny thing is, i meet many people daily, who buy larger display phones so that they can read better (they want less resolution with larger display so that text looks larger even though not sharp).

There should be an option I guess? I feel like an elderly reading big texts and seeing huge photos.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
WP8.1 apps will be required to be optimized to native resolutions as there will no longer be automatic scaling. WP8 apps however will still behave as is today.

As for text size, there is already a text size setting in settings to choose default text size. App developers just need to make use of it. Of course, it will be much more complicated for code and testing.

At the end of the day, all the available tools and APIs are there. It's up to Dev to work it out.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I haven't found a single app that doesn't look sharp on my Nokia Icon. Anything with text scales automatically. I've played a couple of games where some of the UI images are blurry, but it doesn't bother me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3