Cracked rear camera glass

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 is looking rather flawless after all the use it has been through but my rear camera plastic/glass is getting all cracked up. It doesn't seem to impact picture quality any.

Anyone else having this issue?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 is looking rather flawless after all the use it has been through but my rear camera plastic/glass is getting all cracked up. It doesn't seem to impact picture quality any.

Anyone else having this issue?

I find it strange that the picture quality from your L1520 is not affected by the lens cover being "all cracked up", considering that is has a smaller lens than the L1020 - my experience with the L1020 is that even the faintest finger print (or any portion thereof) on the glass lens cover causes some noise or unwanted glare from transient light sources in my photos.

iLLGT3

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. The cracked glass does make a difference if direct light hits it. You can see awkward lens flaring because of it. I went ahead and picked all the glass from the centre of the lens and now the camera won't focus on anything within a 2 feet of it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I find it strange that the picture quality from your L1520 is not affected by the lens cover being "all cracked up", considering that is has a smaller lens than the L1020 - my experience with the L1020 is that even the faintest finger print (or any portion thereof) on the glass lens cover causes some noise or unwanted glare from transient light sources in my photos.

SLR lenses are kind of similar. They can have scratches and chips that don't impact image quality. Has something to do with optics and focal lengths. But yes, it can catch lens flare.

I just can't figure out how mine cracked as it's never been dropped or impacted. I guess the hump can put some strain on that spot.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
SLR lenses are kind of similar. They can have scratches and chips that don't impact image quality. Has something to do with optics and focal lengths. But yes, it can catch lens flare.

I just can't figure out how mine cracked as it's never been dropped or impacted. I guess the hump can put some strain on that spot.

SLR lenses are not as much affected by scratches since they're larger in diameter; i.e. the relative size of the scratch compared to the aperture is a bit negligible. But, in all cases, scratches and smudges will produce lens flare from incident light sources.

But back to your issue, I'm not familiar with the material surrounding the lens cover in the L1520. If it's plastic (polycarbonate), then occasional warping due to the large footprint of the phone could have caused the cracks. But if it's aluminum (just like in the L1020), only strong direct impact and pressure can crack it... unless it's a factory defect.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's polycarbonate. I had one crack show up and then a week or so later there was another parallel crack.

I still haven't been able to get any image abnormalities from the cracks so far but that doesn't mean lens flair couldn't happen in the right circumstance.

Websites have just the lens available for about $5. But I'm getting a replacement 1520 for digitizer problems.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It's polycarbonate. I had one crack show up and then a week or so later there was another parallel crack.

I still haven't been able to get any image abnormalities from the cracks so far but that doesn't mean lens flair couldn't happen in the right circumstance.

Websites have just the lens available for about $5. But I'm getting a replacement 1520 for digitizer problems.

That's great, then. I hope that won't happen again with your replacement 1520.:angel:

That was your 666th post, BTW.:devil:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Well, I think I'll use a case on the replacement. Perhaps that could take some strain off of the hump.

Make it a rigid case, the L1520's size makes it susceptible to warping, bending, flexing, etc. which may cause either the screen to crack among other things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3