From the 1520 to iPhone6 Plus to 1520 and back. The tale of a disgruntled 1520 (almost) owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Long post, bear with it, might be worth something in the end, if anything to summarise the ills of the 1520/WP8 combo in vain hope that MSFT does something about it :). Mods, kindly let it linger a bit before kicking it to the curb.

I bought the 1520 the first week it got out. The tap/swipe problem on that handset was so bad it was practically unusable, hence summarily returned for a refund, had it barely a week.

WPcentral and Nokia forums were full with (monster) threads about the issue so waited patiently for months for a fix from Microkia eager to dive back in. Disappointed at the lack of progress in September I decided to bite the bullet, preordered the iPhone 6 Plus and nipped my problem in the bud, no tap/swipe issues.

Beginning of October though I saw the CV_GB 1520 on Amazon UK for ?362.99 (even went down to ?357.99 a few days later), an absolute steal, an opportunity one couldn?t miss, so decided to play handset lottery and ordered, JesusPhone passed on to the bewildered (by now) wife.

1520 arrived, opened it, fondled it and nearly p1ssed myself from joy, no tap/swipe issue! Nada!

Well, celebrated too soon: 3rd week of ownership and the gremlins started appearing. In only a couple of days the issue was back with a vengeance. The handset had always been housed in a hardback folio case and treated with woollen mitts, no excuse for this. Thank the lord for Amazon?s 30 day no quibbles return policy.

So how does the 1520/WP8 compare to the iPhone6 Plus/IOS (unscientific, subjective etc, don?t flame).

1) The 1520 unfortunately can?t hold a candle to the iPhone build wise, the latter is phenomenally well built and screams quality. Don?t get me wrong, the 1520 is no S5 or Note but it is just not up to par with the iPhone.

2) I am a business user and the ecosystem is not really a deal breaker, however I also have been a WP8 devotee since day one and I have to say that the app gap is widening not closing whatever Joe (Belfiore) says. Mainly quality wise (Office suite better in IOS, really MSFT?) but also in terms of breadth of availability: all my banks have an app, my mobile provider as well, my broadband provider, Strava, the list goes on. For years I had to jump through hoops to get my rides to Strava (I refuse to pay for the upload feature of some WP8 apps, call me stingy), I can now do it from the lock screen, it is small things like these that matter the most.

3) IOS is still (even after two years? worth of WP8 updates) a more mature/complete mobile OS and just works better: connects to my WiFi at home and at work flawlessly, ActivSync implementation is still better on IOS than on Windows Phone (in WP8 you still need to wait for a new message to arrive, in the same folder mind you, for mail status to be updated, really MSFT?), the notification centre is better, the control centre better, the list goes on.

Is it all Lumia/WP8 bad, iPhone/IOS good? No.

1) I miss wireless charging, as in a lot.
2) I miss Live Tiles, as in a lot more.
3) I miss a (properly placed) back button, I still instinctively hit bottom left to go back.
4) I miss the WP8 look and feel, not so the transitions but hey.
5) I miss pointlessly searching the Store for an available app and when I thought I found one it transpires it was hacked by a toddler (spelling mistakes and all).

So will I be returning to Lumia/WP8-W10? Yes, provided they release a decent high end phablet/phone (830, the "affordable flagship", really MSFT?) that works. I am a business user and I buy a quality handset first and an ecosystem second as most of the apps I need are found in all mobile OS flavours. Having though a wide selection of quality apps for just about everything (as I do now) doesn't hurt.

In the meantime on top of parting with my 920 I had to admit through gritted teeth to my iPhone wielding staff that the iPhone 6 Plus does indeed kick some serious back side... Oh the humiliation...

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I was due for an new phone recently and was (briefly) toying with the iPhone. Gave up the idea because of (1) the cost - as I always buy my phones outright and (2) because the app eco-system is not really that important for me since I have all the apps I need on each of the three eco-systems. Instead, I went with the L830 and while it is a bit over priced, it has been a remarkable experience. I am in love with the phone. I had also considered the L1530, but 6 inches...really? I think the screen size that I would be most comfortable with would be between 5 and 5.5 inches.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Long post, bear with it, might be worth something in the end, if anything to summarise the ills of the 1520/WP8 combo in vain hope that MSFT does something about it :). Mods, kindly let it linger a bit before kicking it to the curb.

I bought the 1520 the first week it got out. The tap/swipe problem on that handset was so bad it was practically unusable, hence summarily returned for a refund, had it barely a week.

WPcentral and Nokia forums were full with (monster) threads about the issue so waited patiently for months for a fix from Microkia eager to dive back in. Disappointed at the lack of progress in September I decided to bite the bullet, preordered the iPhone 6 Plus and nipped my problem in the bud, no tap/swipe issues.

Beginning of October though I saw the CV_GB 1520 on Amazon UK for ?362.99 (even went down to ?357.99 a few days later), an absolute steal, an opportunity one couldn?t miss, so decided to play handset lottery and ordered, JesusPhone passed on to the bewildered (by now) wife.

1520 arrived, opened it, fondled it and nearly p1ssed myself from joy, no tap/swipe issue! Nada!

Well, celebrated too soon: 3rd week of ownership and the gremlins started appearing. In only a couple of days the issue was back with a vengeance. The handset had always been housed in a hardback folio case and treated with woollen mitts, no excuse for this. Thank the lord for Amazon?s 30 day no quibbles return policy.

So how does the 1520/WP8 compare to the iPhone6 Plus/IOS (unscientific, subjective etc, don?t flame).

1) The 1520 unfortunately can?t hold a candle to the iPhone build wise, the latter is phenomenally well built and screams quality. Don?t get me wrong, the 1520 is no S5 or Note but it is just not up to par with the iPhone.

2) I am a business user and the ecosystem is not really a deal breaker, however I also have been a WP8 devotee since day one and I have to say that the app gap is widening not closing whatever Joe (Belfiore) says. Mainly quality wise (Office suite better in IOS, really MSFT?) but also in terms of breadth of availability: all my banks have an app, my mobile provider as well, my broadband provider, Strava, the list goes on. For years I had to jump through hoops to get my rides to Strava (I refuse to pay for the upload feature of some WP8 apps, call me stingy), I can now do it from the lock screen, it is small things like these that matter the most.

3) IOS is still (even after two years? worth of WP8 updates) a more mature/complete mobile OS and just works better: connects to my WiFi at home and at work flawlessly, ActivSync implementation is still better on IOS than on Windows Phone (in WP8 you still need to wait for a new message to arrive, in the same folder mind you, for mail status to be updated, really MSFT?), the notification centre is better, the control centre better, the list goes on.

Is it all Lumia/WP8 bad, iPhone/IOS good? No.

1) I miss wireless charging, as in a lot.
2) I miss Live Tiles, as in a lot more.
3) I miss a (properly placed) back button, I still instinctively hit bottom left to go back.
4) I miss the WP8 look and feel, not so the transitions but hey.
5) I miss pointlessly searching the Store for an available app and when I thought I found one it transpires it was hacked by a toddler (spelling mistakes and all).

So will I be returning to Lumia/WP8-W10? Yes, provided they release a decent high end phablet/phone (830, the "affordable flagship", really MSFT?) that works. I am a business user and I buy a quality handset first and an ecosystem second as most of the apps I need are found in all mobile OS flavours. Having though a wide selection of quality apps for just about everything (as I do now) doesn't hurt.

In the meantime on top of parting with my 920 I had to admit through gritted teeth to my iPhone wielding staff that the iPhone 6 Plus does indeed kick some serious back side... Oh the humiliation...
Are you aware the iphone 6 plus bends in your pocket more than the 1520, there has been cases where the phone catches fire in people's pocket's.

Toroto90

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same shoes as you mate. I'm deeply in love with this phone, but lately I've been feeling really disgruntled as well. For me, it's mainly the Windows Phone app library. Sadly it's just not on par with Android and iOS at all.

Also the fact that there's not a really good music player on this phone baffles me as well. I want the liberty to play any file format I throw at it, and sadly the MoliPlayer just doesn't stand up too much. There's way too many bugs and unfinished business all around.

And like you said about comparing it the iPhone's build quality etc, I agree, but then again I'm not a big iPhone lover. I on the other hand really miss my Sony Xperia Z2, and will most likely get the Z3 next year. It's been an amazing ride with Nokia and Windows 8.1, but the alternatives are better suited for me.

Don't get me wrong, the phone is superb, it's just the OS that drags it down (The UI is stunning though).

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Good read.

My contract will be over this January and I'm seriously considering the new iPhone but my only gripe with WP right now is Xbox Music so I think I'm going to hold my upgrade UNTIL Windows 10 (for phone) arrives then I'll arrive at a conclusion.

I have a 1520 with the issue you just stated, it sometimes bothers me but now it doesn't anymore.. Hope Microsoft could win us back with Windows 10 and not sway us away to iOS.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you aware the iphone 6 plus bends in your pocket more than the 1520, there has been cases where the phone catches fire in people's pocket's.
Isn't that a tad of double standards at play here when the most widely quoted method of "fixing" the tap/swipe issue is bending the handset?

Re phones catching fire, this is not limited to the iPhone but applies to all handsets/devices as it is a "feature" of Li- ion batteries that are found in pretty much every battery powered electronic device.

Re the Daily Mail article, the tabloid just jumps on the sensationalist bandwagon betting (correctly) on the lack of scientific background of its readership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3