Phantom Touch

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
This issue is driving me nuts more than I thought it would. I didn't mind it at first, but after a while it started getting worse. I called att and they are going to send me a warranty replacement. If that doesn't fix the issue I'm going to try and press for an HTC One or the 830. I really love the phone, but this issue drives me nuts.

I read else where that some one got an alternative phone as a replacement, anyone else have any such luck?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty much conclusive that it is a physically induced issue and not software related. Due to the large screen size... Don't put the device in your pants pocket with the screen facing in towards your leg. This causes flex and the digitizer contacts to the motherboard get misaligned. Check your phone... Look at it edge on from the top or bottom. See any twist to the body? Lay it screen down on a flat surface. Can you rock it side to side due to two opposite corners being raised slightly?

Read from this post onward: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/297759-6.htm#post2689765

Avoid sitting with the phone in a pants pocket at least... If not outright moving to a belt case (yes they exist for this beast). Correct your current misalignment by (VERY GENTLY) trying to right the shape of your phone and pressing in the areas lightly where indicated in the post I cited.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty much conclusive that it is a physically induced issue and not software related. Due to the large screen size... Don't put the device in your pants pocket with the screen facing in towards your leg. This causes flex and the digitizer contacts to the motherboard get misaligned. Check your phone... Look at it edge on from the top or bottom. See any twist to the body? Lay it screen down on a flat surface. Can you rock it side to side due to two opposite corners being raised slightly?

Read from this post onward: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/297759-6.htm#post2689765

Avoid sitting with the phone in a pants pocket at least... If not outright moving to a belt case (yes they exist for this beast). Correct your current misalignment by (VERY GENTLY) trying to right the shape of your phone and pressing in the areas lightly where indicated in the post I cited.

I had the issue out of the box, just on a miner scale. Expected it and delt with it. It gradually has become worse over the last month and a half. I really just l lost the will to deal with it. I really just hope the next one works.

I set the phone face down and it is flat with the table. It's that bad at all, but it eats at me. I look at my wife's perfectly working HTC One with envy. I would rather have a perfectly working (if not under powered) 830 @ this point.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My 1520 is still relatively new, but I have not had any issue. Like RumoredNow said, when I can, I put my phone in a jacket pocket or somewhere else where it won't get flexed.

gooeyphlegm

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Just this morning i tried to open up my lumia 620 device and took out the digitizer from the frame thinking that the cause of the phantom touches was some sort of grounding issue just like how they fix it with other devices. After i succeeded detaching the digitizer from the frame i went on to cleaning its surroundings. I reassembled the phone up to the point where the sockets of the lcd and digitizer from the logic board can be seen then turned it on with the power button and waited for it to boot up. Showing now the home screen of my phone i then attached the removed digitizer to see if it would still do the random touches and then within seconds of swiping the digitizer panel the twitching and jumping screen occurred.

Now i have my 620 disassembled and stored it all in a ziplock. Will be waiting for the digitizer that i bought from ebay and hopefully that would end my problem. I will post a video of my device doing the random touches so you guys can see if that's the same thing that your device is doing, after all we might have the same issue on our devices and at least you can know in advance what would happen if you also tried this venture of mine. :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I dont believe that this is HW fault.... Of course I cant know, but at least on my device it DOES NOT seem to be.

Few facts from my experience:

I never put my device face down in my front pocket. Still I had the issue out of the box.

I had a whole screen change few months after I bought the device, problem still there.

It seems too random and how I touch seem to affect it. If Im very careuful how I swipe, the swipes dont register as taps.

Yesterday I took my screen saver off and havent had this problem appear once. Im not thinking its gone now, but it really seems to have made a difference. If there would be a HW fault like described, why would taking a screen saver off amke a difference at all?

gooeyphlegm

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
@Loco5150,That's in your case maybe, i've already tried many things to make the issue gone. I already did all kinds of resets, Flashing OS using nokia care suite and NSU for retailer, turning on and off things from the settings, regularly wiping the screen, trying a different screen protector, and etc... But nothing has ever changed, so my last hope would be that screen replacement. :(

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think its a software fault in the FW. Why it isnt fixed yet, I'm not sure. I'm hoping for a fix in Denim.

Still no phantom taps all day.... My device is for sure changed with the removal of the protector.

zain1986

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Its not a software fault. I had this issue on my 1520 and sent to Nokia care. Got the screen replaced and now its alright. The swipes registering as taps thing is still there but that phantom tap issue is gone. But as already mentioned in other threads that this is a design flaw so I guess it would come back.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I think its a software fault in the FW. Why it isnt fixed yet, I'm not sure. I'm hoping for a fix in Denim.

Still no phantom taps all day.... My device is for sure changed with the removal of the protector.

It's a hardware issue with having a large phone, the screen has gotten warped and obtaining information from "taps" that the device is doing. Sorry, no firmware or OS update can fix it, if it's bugging you, get a new one and put a case on it.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt this very much. I havent hold my phone as the problem has been described to come.

Not a single phantom tap since removing my screen protector... If its hw fault, why? It does not fit.

Well see later I guess...

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Received my replacement phone. Work great right now. We will see if it stays that way. I am going to keep holding it in my pants pocket. I hope it has no problems :0

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I used to have a SonyEricsson Xperia X8, which is small smartphone. It has this phantom issue too. It gets worse when I put it in my pocket with constant abrasions with the clothing. Reckon it could be due to static build up.

gooeyphlegm

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Update: Just got my cheap $9 digitizer from ebay, installed it and tadaaa gone are the phantom touches. It didnt respond as good as the oem digitizer but it does an ok job for a 3rd party digitizer. The cons about this dgitizer is that the super senstive feature was gone, it feels plastic, and things are a bit uneasy to press. i dont know why, but its not as fluid to touch compared to the original.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Update: Just got my cheap $9 digitizer from ebay, installed it and tadaaa gone are the phantom touches. It didnt respond as good as the oem digitizer but it does an ok job for a 3rd party digitizer. The cons about this dgitizer is that the super senstive feature was gone, it feels plastic, and things are a bit uneasy to press. i dont know why, but its not as fluid to touch compared to the original.

Ummm... are you still on Black?

​'cause Cyan is supposed to render the phone blind to any digitzer that isn't OEM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3