Painfully Slow PC To SD Transfer, why?

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought a spankin' new Samsung 64gb EVO MicroSD card that supposedly supports the uhs-1 standard as well.
At any rate, alongside that it is branded class 10.
I plugged into my ever faithful (bah-humbug) Vista PC and just copying close to 500mb of pictures took about 15 minutes! The 32gb Sandisk (also class 10) I had in my previous Ativ S Neo copied data from PC to card way faster than this. This machine has usb 2.0 ports and that is just about the speed I used to get.

Am I missing something here?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First of all this doesn't really belong in the 1520 section unless your using the 1520 as a glorified card reader :winktongue:.

Secondly you may need to check the cable, more than often then not it's the simplest thing that is causing the issue.

Thirdly, there are different factors to consider:
a) you may not have been sitting at the PC all the time whilst the transfer from the previous card was taking place therefore it may appear to have transferred faster.

b) you may have a faulty or fake card

These are the other things that are easily over looked.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
No, I never left my computer when I was previously transferring things. I got my card from WalMart so I'm sure it's a genuine Samsung. I'm using the same cable I always have, I guess I could try a different one. I thought of seeing if my old Sandisk would behave the same in this phone or not but I'm not in a rush to try prying open that tray again.

I tried recording some video in 1080p because if it were full of stutters I could be sure that there was a card problem but it performed beautifully there.

Sorry if I made a mistake, I posted here because this problem is with my new 1520. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What I also noticed before is if I get the SD card out the phone and put it in the computercard reader. Coping goes much faster compared with leave the SD card in the phone and use a USB cable. So a "phone" is also slowing down the copy process.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find copying to or through the phone to be slower than it should be.
perhaps its because it uses MTP instead of typical USB mass storage IIRC.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For best results on mass file xfers...

Unmount Card in Storage Sense, Power Down, Remove Card > Insert microSD into Adapter and use a Card Reader (onboard preferably) > Insert Card in Phone and Power Up.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
(not really helpful)
I just picked up a 7-8 years old laptop from garage sale yesterday for about 30 dollars for music/entertainment purposes only. It has 1.8 ghz processor(not sure if dual core though, I don't really care) 4 gb ram also has windows vista. And guess what, it reads and write faster than the USB 3.0 that is on my other laptop.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No, I never left my computer when I was previously transferring things. I got my card from WalMart so I'm sure it's a genuine Samsung. I'm using the same cable I always have, I guess I could try a different one. I thought of seeing if my old Sandisk would behave the same in this phone or not but I'm not in a rush to try prying open that tray again.

I tried recording some video in 1080p because if it were full of stutters I could be sure that there was a card problem but it performed beautifully there.

Sorry if I made a mistake, I posted here because this problem is with my new 1520. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

No, need to appologise :) lol..

There was a period where they was a spate of fake cards on amazon so I wouldn't be surprised if some ended up at Walmart, also another to thing to consider is where you watching the transfer dialog box all the time when it was transferring? :p.

Never the less your really better of doing as Rumoured Now suggested as it would really save you a lot of time, or alternatively you could use bluetooth (using a file picker to share via bluetooth)?

Jay Bee9

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I found that if you take the micro sd card and insert it into a sd card adaptor then copy file to and fro is a hell of alot faster i think it might have something to do with the surface area of the media that makes it a faster read

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720