How can I access my phone if the lock screen button is not working?

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Lock Screen button not working

The lock screen button in my Lumia 1520 is not working. I cannot unlock the screen by pressing it but I can switch it off by holding it for a few seconds. I already did a couple of soft resets but the problem is still there. I can't do ah hard reset at this moment. What else can I do? Also my WhatsApp is keep resuming whenever I open it.

badge4

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lock Screen button not working

The lock screen button in my Lumia 1520 is not working. I cannot unlock the screen by pressing it but I can switch it off by holding it for a few seconds. I already did a couple of soft resets but the problem is still there. I can't do ah hard reset at this moment. What else can I do? Also my WhatsApp is keep resuming whenever I open it.

I'm having a similar problem on my Icon. The sleep/wake will not "sleep" the device, or wake it up. If the screen times out, the phone will shut off, and it takes a few long presses on the sleep/wake button to turn it back on. It's also been very sluggish.

Vickg818

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I uninstalled chive but the problem is still there.
EDIT - After many soft resets, it's working now. Thank you but what's wrong with chive?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Wait.. what does Chive have to do with the lock button?
If you believe the many posts (which seem legit), TheChive is the first Malware for Windows Phone although probably not intentionally. LoL

I don't know why Windows Central isn't all over this. Would be one of the biggest stories of the year if an app can mess up Windows so bad the phone has to be hard reset to fix it. There are TONS of owners who could not survive a hard reset or would abandon the platform over it.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

If you believe the many posts (which seem legit), TheChive is the first Malware for Windows Phone although probably not intentionally. LoL

As I said in the other post... stop being paranoid. This is not even close to the definition of malware. It's a bug, plain and simple.

Thangaul

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem from this morning on my Lumia 1520. I'm able to unlock the device only when I put the phone for charge. Double tap to wake is not working either. Even when I get a call the screen does not switch on. I recently installed the Glance screen updates. I'm thinking some new app has messed it up. I recently installed 5 minute workout but dunno if it has anything to do with that. Iv done multiple soft resets till now but its not helped. When I took it to the Nokia Care they said they couldn't figure out what's wrong and probably needed to send it back to the factory. I couldn't leave my phone there so brought it back. Now am stuck.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem from this morning on my Lumia 1520. I'm able to unlock the device only when I put the phone for charge. Double tap to wake is not working either. Even when I get a call the screen does not switch on. I recently installed the Glance screen updates. I'm thinking some new app has messed it up. I recently installed 5 minute workout but dunno if it has anything to do with that. Iv done multiple soft resets till now but its not helped. When I took it to the Nokia Care they said they couldn't figure out what's wrong and probably needed to send it back to the factory. I couldn't leave my phone there so brought it back. Now am stuck.

Uninstall chive. Or 5 minute workout.

Arman Safikhani

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I have exactly the same problem, I installed theChive app yesterday and my power button suddenly stoped working!
I had physical issues with button so I thought the microswitch button is brocked again, but even the double tap is not working, screen brightness is out of control and is being crazy, mobile data is off and I can't trun it on again.
And my phone runs out of battery way too quickly.

Any solutions?
And of course hard reset is not an option for me.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Any solutions?
And of course hard reset is not an option for me.
I would say the odds of a "fix" in the next day or so is almost nil.

I don't know why a hard reset isn't an option but you may have no choice other than using another phone in the hopes there will be another solution. Hard reset is very undesirable for sure.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I think the problem is caused by the Lumia Denim update, and it has nothing to do with the apps mentioned above, as I got it exactly after the update.. I uninstalled TheChive, the workout app etc. and the problem is still there..I tried restarting and resetting the phone several time, it fixes the problem temporarily but it will come back after a few hours. I'm giving up :/

It is a problem with those apps. Uninstall those apps, make a backup of all your apps and then do a hard reset. Only solution.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Dear Laith10100 only uninstalling the app will not remove your problem. You have to do a hard reset. Did you do a hard reset?
But of course you a free to think what you want.

shylent

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
This is not The chive or any app related.
This worked for me without hard resetting : Turn of automatically set time and date => soft reset => wait for it to start up, then go into settings again and manually enter time and date.
For some reason after the soft reset my date and time went to November 24 9:37 AM
Hope this helps everyone while MS fixes this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism