Screen Ridiculously Weak?

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Dropped my 1520 a couple weeks back from stomach height and shattered the screen. Figured maybe since it fell face down that the crack was bad luck. Had it replaced for $220. Just last night dropped from pocket height, very mild drop landing right above the volume rocker on the frame. Nope, not a fluke, wrecked it again. I am starting to think this phone will never sustain a drop and is no longer worth investing in. I treat this phone much better than my 920 (like 10x) and this has never happened to the 920 but 2/2 on the 1520.

I am not going to use a case. Does this really happen that much or am I unlucky? Should I move to a different model?

Thanks

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It may be the glass it was replaced with.I had an issue when j had glass replaced on my gs3 to. Shattered like no ones business. When I purchased my first 928, it fell out of my pocket while I was laying on my back and cracked. Maybe 3 inches off the ground. I sent it in to be replaced.
My new 928 has fallen from 3ft+ and no issues. The gs3 had the glass replaced by the mall kiosk. I can only assume the 928 had as well.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't use a case. I've dropped my 1520 about 10 times in the last month or so (I have butter fingers). I've been lucky that I haven't got any major cracks. Just the odd scratch...

(drops were around stomach height too)

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
If you drop your phone from any height you have to expect it to break. They are delicate, fragile, hi-tech pieces of technology that after not designed to withstand drops and shocks etc. I'd be amazed if I dropped my phone from waist height and it didn't break.

If you've dropped your phone in the past and it's survived then that's luck. If you drop it and it breaks that's not unlucky, that's just what you should expect to happen.

You wouldn't drop a laptop on the floor and expect that to be undamaged, surely?

If you find that you're dropping your phone often, buy a case. If you don't like putting a case on your phone, stop dropping it! ;)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Phones these days aren't really made to withstand drops. Phones with huge screens are even more susceptible to drops vs smaller phones. I don't think the 1520 is ridiculously weak, I think anyone who drops this goliath should fully expect a broken screen.

I know it's easier said than done, but quit dropping your phone. After the first drop, I would have started using a case if I were you.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Stop dropping your phone would be the best start.

If you can't do this then buy another phone and moan about them, that at least will stop negative posts about one of the best phones on the market.

It's a bit like saying I just crashed my car and it got bent, must be a crap car so I am going to buy a different model when any one with any ounce of common sense can see where the problem is......

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so consensus is expect the phone to shatter when dropped from waist height? If so, then yea I will move to a different phone. No way in hell a 635, 920, Samsung ativ odyessy, 822, etc would be shattering from those heights. I know because after using cell phones for the past 10 years of my life this is the first one to ever break once, let alone twice. Guess I got lucky for 10 years straight and this is normal now. I still have a couple 920s so ill resurrect those until a 1520 replacement comes out. Not worth the $220 replacement bill twice on a $450 phone. That answers my question anyway.

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Stop dropping your phone would be the best start.

If you can't do this then buy another phone and moan about them, that at least will stop negative posts about one of the best phones on the market.

It's a bit like saying I just crashed my car and it got bent, must be a crap car so I am going to buy a different model when any one with any ounce of common sense can see where the problem is......

Flawed logic. When you crash your car it will be damaged 99% of the time. That is expected. When you drop a phone it is damaged probably what, 10% of the time? Guess not so for the 1520.

Daniel James 2

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Flawed logic. When you crash your car it will be damaged 99% of the time. That is expected. When you drop a phone it is damaged probably what, 10% of the time? Guess not so for the 1520.

Assuming the chance is 10%, the chance of it happening twice to the same person is 1%. Unlikely, but still possible. Statistics is a B.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't dropped any of my phones in years. I don't get it. If and when I do, I expect it to break--maybe that's why I'm so careful. Maybe get a more protective case if you're so prone to drops?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I read a lot of these stories at the various forums.

Gravity alone is not to blame. A big part of it is how the phone lands and on what type of surface. Every drop is unique. Filled with vastly differing variables. No two results will ever be the same.

1" or one mile... A phone can and will break. Any phone.

One thing that seems consistent with these types of threads is denial. "It's not the fact the phone was dropped, the design/parts/quality is flawed."

Yeah, if you are prone to dropping phones, if you seem unlucky that they always break on you and not your pals... There might be something going on.

​Get a mil spec ruggedized phone.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I've dropped mine a few times (always in a case though) with no damage.

With as large of a screen as these have, you kind of have to expect it. A drop is going to create quite a bit of torsion/tension on the frame with the screen being the weakest(brittle) part.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Phone-dropping is an exceedingly squishy science.

There are so many factors in play here. From the design of the phone (material, component layout, etc.) to the nature of the fall. (what material did it fall on? how did it contact the material? speed?) and of course, a liberal amount of luck can be applied here.

I've seen stories of some Lumia's (or other phones, actually) surviving situations I wouldn't expect a phone to come out of unscathed, but I've also heard stories of phones cracking from a drop I (perhaps mistakenly) wouldn't call dangerous. Sometimes they are the same model.

Of course the best option is to not drop the phone, but people are all different. I drop my phone rarely, while my sister's Lumia is comparatively much-more dinged up.
A case is an option, and a fine insurance if you are someone who is more clumsy, especially with the perhaps unwieldy size of the 1520 and other phones in its class.

Of course, different phones are built differently, I personally suspect the sheer size of the glass and nature of the 1520 makes it more susceptible than the rather tanky 920, but I really can't say. Its not a complaint i often see. It's almost random, perhaps like Phone Roulette. I don't think it can be called "ridiculously weak" without significant study (inner scientist go!) as I've seen plenty of threads calling any given model weak.

jodeltje

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that the 1520 is indeed a fragile phone.
There are a few things that cause this, such as the shape, the thin pointy corners don't bounce away as easy as the more rounded phones do, which helps in absorbing some force. Also, this phone seems to lack a proper frame, the thin plastic hits the unsupported screen almost directly might it hit the floor.

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that the 1520 is indeed a fragile phone.
There are a few things that cause this, such as the shape, the thin pointy corners don't bounce away as easy as the more rounded phones do, which helps in absorbing some force. Also, this phone seems to lack a proper frame, the thin plastic hits the unsupported screen almost directly might it hit the floor.

I think its because the glass is raised above the frame. Same problem with iPhone 4 and 5 which crack all the time. I do think this is by far the most fragile Nokia I have owned. Too bad its a great phone. I use my phone like crazy and a drop every half year is inevitable. I'll just switch to something more reliable. Since.

After reading these forums more it seems a quire frequent occurrence with the 1520. I have an extra glass here I might rebuild the phone and do a drop test versus the 920 to illustrate the difference. 100% sure the 920 or 635 won't be cracking in any case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3