Thinking about changing cover and color

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the white version of intl. 1520. I was thinking to try a different color for a change. Black to be exact.

I found this from eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...123&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/361141406915

Seller claims its original and he has good feedback, 99.7% is pretty good when seller has so much items.

It is with NFC and Qi, haven't asked about buttons and I assume the SIM and SD trays are not included.

What you guys think, can it be original Nokia part?

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks fine to me... I'm sure it is the right part. Check the forum, I know there are threads about switching cases.

Are your buttons white?

I would go black case, white buttons and white trays. :cool:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the same about using white buttons with the black housing :cool: Not only looking cool, but the buttons are hard to find on the 1520 and this would at least make them very visible also.

The seller responded saying that this really is 100% genuine Nokia part with everything included except the trays, which are extra $10.

I guess Ill buy that!

Except now I found this also: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...se-with-NFC-For-Nokia-Lumia-1520/351250447958

Looks excactly the same as the first one from pictures. I sent this seller also questions. I do wonder are they genuine.

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, the second seller said its not original and that the original costs $30 or so. So I trusted the first seller and bought it, also took the tray's + 10usd. I will post pictures when I have done the switch, because most likely I will go with black/white combo.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, the second seller said its not original and that the original costs $30 or so. So I trusted the first seller and bought it, also took the tray's + 10usd. I will post pictures when I have done the switch, because most likely I will go with black/white combo.

Look forward to seeing that, thanks!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yup, the change is done. Is very easy, took about 10 minutes. The buttons look cool, could be even cooler looking with white cover/black buttons, but I wanted to change the white housing for a while. I thought that the black would make the device feel smaller, and actually I think it does feel and look smaller. Might be also good looking with red buttons.

I stil might start using the black trays, but the buttons for sure are more visible, even from the front.

Sidenote; the housing was premium quality, everything in place and looking good! However I wonder is it genuine Nokia as the Nokia logo and the CE marks are missing from the back? I might ask a partial refund if its not since the seller specifically said its 100% Nokia.

If someone thinks about changing, note that the flash and the headphone jack are glued to the housing with cellular tape. If you think about switching back and forth, it might be wise to buy them too so you dont always need to separate them.

WP_20150113_16_02_23_Pro.jpgWP_20150113_16_02_30_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that looks very, very nice. I like the white trays on the black frame as well as the buttons. The assymetry of the two sides seems more balanced with the two tone. My yellow 1520.3 has black buttons on one side and then yellow all the rest of the way around. Maybe I'll look for some black trays. That's an easy swap.

In my webOS days a black on white setup was called a "Panda" and I loved my Panda Veer.

HPVeerPalmATTManualUserGuideSpecsOverview.jpg

Your white on black looks classy enough that I'd call it a "Tuxedo."

Looks like you did a great job and thanks for sharing the pics. I hope it brings you much joy.

mjoshi123

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Very neat, I think I've got black device, may try other colors. How is the quality of cover ? Do you think it is same as what you replaced with (white - OEM) or you feel it is bit different ? I'm planning on playing with Yellow. One more question, mine is AT&T version - not international one. So do you think having Qi charging makes any difference ?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'll look for some black trays.

That seller sold me both trays for $10. The sim-tray had the IMEI sticker on it :D

Very neat, I think I've got black device, may try other colors. How is the quality of cover ? Do you think it is same as what you replaced with (white - OEM) or you feel it is bit different ? I'm planning on playing with Yellow. One more question, mine is AT&T version - not international one. So do you think having Qi charging makes any difference ?

The quality was perfect. Everything looked to be in place and well moulded. When both housings were off, I tried to bend them little to see is there a difference or that the new one would be somehow lower quality, I didnt see any difference.

For ATT version, I dont know why wouldnt it fit? That silver thing there is the Qi Wireless charger coil, if ATT only removed it, would the connectors be there in the right place so would get it also working? I would assume that someone has already looked at this simple mod to add the Qi? The Qi is not even attached to the mainboard, the connectors just touch when the housing is on.

The quality was very good, but I might look at asking for partial refund if its not original. The other listing that was +30% cheaper, the seller said its not original but very high quality, so if I just paid more for the same thing.... Not good.

mjoshi123

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I think that looks very, very nice. I like the white trays on the black frame as well as the buttons. The assymetry of the two sides seems more balanced with the two tone. My yellow 1520.3 has black buttons on one side and then yellow all the rest of the way around. Maybe I'll look for some black trays. That's an easy swap.

In my webOS days a black on white setup was called a "Panda" and I loved my Panda Veer.

View attachment 93668

Your white on black looks classy enough that I'd call it a "Tuxedo."

Looks like you did a great job and thanks for sharing the pics. I hope it brings you much joy.

Thank you for reigniting WebOS days nostalgia, so far I've not used any other mobile OS that is as intuitive and as good as WEB OS was (starting from Windows CE to iOS). It's unfortunate that they did not gain ground for such an amazing OS.

mjoshi123

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
You won't get Qi on the AT&T 1520 just by changing the back cover.
There is missing hardware in the AT&T 1520.
Thank you, I'm actually still not able to get what is hype about Qi charging ?My Palm Pre had it but after that none of my iPhones had it and I donot miss it a bit. So apart from wireless charging what else is important with regards to back cover replacement.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup, the change is done. Is very easy, took about 10 minutes. The buttons look cool, could be even cooler looking with white cover/black buttons, but I wanted to change the white housing for a while. I thought that the black would make the device feel smaller, and actually I think it does feel and look smaller. Might be also good looking with red buttons.

I stil might start using the black trays, but the buttons for sure are more visible, even from the front.

Sidenote; the housing was premium quality, everything in place and looking good! However I wonder is it genuine Nokia as the Nokia logo and the CE marks are missing from the back? I might ask a partial refund if its not since the seller specifically said its 100% Nokia.

If someone thinks about changing, note that the flash and the headphone jack are glued to the housing with cellular tape. If you think about switching back and forth, it might be wise to buy them too so you dont always need to separate them.

View attachment 93660View attachment 93661

How did u transfer the headphone jack to the new housing? Wat it easy? And flash too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa