Lumia 1520 headphones better then beats headphones

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
So my 1520 came with the default headphones that you get in the box. Very good quality and completely different to the ones you get with the low-mid range lumias. Anyway... Tried the beats headphone...and was shocked how crap they are. Seriously.... ?250 for that piece of junk !!!! Give me the 1520 ones any day

Last edited by a moderator:

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Beats are nothing but a brand now. Fancy with little to no quality. The Lumia 1520 earphones may be nice but they don't even come close to the quality of my Nokia Purity HD headset.

aschettler

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get the Nokia purity HD headset from as I wouldn't mind trying them
You can find them online through the Microsoft Store or Amazon.

As for my two cents, I've never liked the Beats products. They've always been overpriced garbage. I've been using a pair of Klipsch Image S4A headphones for a couple years now and absolutely love them. I believe the line was replaced by the Reference line, but they're about $100, sound amazing, and have a microphone and remote that is compatible with Windows Phone. The Image S3m are a cheaper option that also sound great.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Here in the states, through AT&T, Nokia phones don't come with headphones/earbuds...

Also, as a musician /amateur recording artist, I'm a firm believer that "audio quality" is 98% artist/producer, and 2% audio equipment. The human ear can only "hear" frequencies from 20Hz (the lowest bass), to 20kHz (the highest treble). "Beats" products are built to emphasize the low end, which is why they are popular with the hip hop/R&B/rap crowd, but are average at best for the mid to high end. Like mentioned above, you're just paying for the brand with those.

Find a pair that reproduces audio at all frequencies well, where you can hear everything as the artist/producer intended, and only then will you have real audio quality. You'll be surprised at how inexpensive a good pair of headphones can really be. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to hear those same frequencies!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Here in the states, through AT&T, Nokia phones don't come with headphones/earbuds...

Also, as a musician /amateur recording artist, I'm a firm believer that "audio quality" is 98% artist/producer, and 2% audio equipment. The human ear can only "hear" frequencies from 20Hz (the lowest bass), to 20kHz (the highest treble). "Beats" products are built to emphasize the low end, which is why they are popular with the hip hop/R&B/rap crowd, but are average at best for the mid to high end. Like mentioned above, you're just paying for the brand with those.

Find a pair that reproduces audio at all frequencies well, where you can hear everything as the artist/producer intended, and only then will you have real audio quality. You'll be surprised at how inexpensive a good pair of headphones can really be. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to hear those same frequencies!

No highs no lows must be Bose then? LOL just kidding. You're right. I have a Soundmagic E10 that I bought for 30 bucks. Works for me. Better than anything I tried although I really haven't listened to more expensive equipment. I did like the Brainwavz m3 though but the build quality is awful. I have to get it repaired every 3 months. It'll just wear out. My e10s are with me for the past 7 months and running.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Could you possibly see if they're on amazon then link them here? Would be interested to see if they're the same ones that came with my uk 920 (and I ordered another pair) as they're fantastic.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I also got skull candy headphones which costs ?12 and to be honest they were better then the beats as i heard musical instruments that I never heard been played before with previous headphones (keyboard in great big white world by Marilyn Manson for example) but it made a whole heap of difference and the beats headphones had a sound limit to it. It would never go as loud as my Nokia 1520 headphones

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

LOL One more thing they robbed their WP users of!!! Now that is cheap. :shocked:

My 1520.3 came with a pair of earbuds and they are Yellow to match the phone.

I've never used 'em. Might have to get them out after reading this thread.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
LOL One more thing they robbed their WP users of!!! Now that is cheap. :shocked:

My 1520.3 came with a pair of earbuds and they are Yellow to match the phone.

I've never used 'em. Might have to get them out after reading this thread.

You will be so surprised at how good they are.esp when you adjust the audio settings to match the music too

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Well said, so long as there is no distortion from a speaker, you're better off listening to music how the artist made it. Beats just pump up the bass that any equalizer could do because people are too stupid to know how to use one.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You can find them online through the Microsoft Store or Amazon.

As for my two cents, I've never liked the Beats products. They've always been overpriced garbage. I've been using a pair of Klipsch Image S4A headphones for a couple years now and absolutely love them. I believe the line was replaced by the Reference line, but they're about $100, sound amazing, and have a microphone and remote that is compatible with Windows Phone. The Image S3m are a cheaper option that also sound great.

I had the Klipsch Image S4 as well and can recommend them. I am a fan of in-ear earphones rather than over-ear headsets because they are so much more convenient to carry around and the Klipsch Image S4 are the best I've ever used.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I use in-ear (ear buds) exclusively because they fit securely and with the proper size rubber covers, generally stay put. I always hated the ear buds that come with the iPhone because they move around, often falling out when the cord catches on something like a jacket, etc,. Also, because I almost always am using the ear buds while commuting or otherwise moving around, the most important factor in my experience is the secure fit. Over the ear headphones just don't seem to stay put well enough to allow me to actually hear any details in the music without turning the volume up too high.

I like the Nokia WH-208s because they fit my ears well and the sound is reasonable considering the price. These are very tangle-prone however, and don't feel that durable. I have a new second pair waiting for the moment these stop working!

I also just bought a pair of the yellow Nokia Coloud Pops (now $15 off at the Microsoft Store online - I combined it with a $5 off reward from my Bing searches that brought the price down to $4.99!) These are higher quality construction and have a couple of features to prevent tangling, but I find that they don't fit quite as securely as the WH-208s. When sitting still, or lying in bed, the fit is not as much of a problem and I can hear that they certainly reproduce music more accurately, clearly and with more depth across all frequencies compared to the WH-208s.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You will be so surprised at how good they are.esp when you adjust the audio settings to match the music too

I agree. I use the phones that came with my 1520 all the time. They sound really good, and I use them all the time for phone calls, as I'm not a big fan of holding my phone up to my head all the time.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Agreed, especially if you listen to more common music/pop, most mastering seem to be leaning towards optimising the music for the terrible little stock earbuds you get included with most phones (like Earpods). Finding some headphones that suit the genre of music that you listen to should help with this - as jazz is not mastered (emphasises the same frequencies) like heavy metal, and similarly headphones will reproduce sound differently between different models and makes. Point being, if you buy some $1000 Beyerdynamics and then play some Nicki Manaj through them, they'll probably sound worse than if you played them through some Earpods instead.

anon(8977867)

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I use either :

Lumia 1520 or Surface Pro 3 as source (Xbox music downloads), into a Fiio X5 DAC, into an Audio Gd NFB-15 desktop headphone amp-DAC, using a pair of "Mrspeakers Alpha Prime" over-ear closed headphones.

Or :

Fiio X5 as source (with flac files), into an Audio Gd NFB-15 desktop headphone amp/DAC, using a pair of "Mrspeakers Alpha Prime" over-ear closed headphones.

Or for portable listening :

Either Lumia 1520 (Xbox music downloads) or Fiio X5 DAC as source (with flac files), into a Cayin C5 portable headphone amp, using a pair of "Mrspeakers Alpha Prime" over-ear closed headphones.

The quality of sound I have is amazing it will far surpass using a phone with earbuds or cheap headphones.

Even Nicki Minaj (Pills & Potions) sounds incredible. Head over to "head-fi dot org" and you'll find a world of options for incredible sound quality!

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ed Boland,

As more of an "audio expert" than the average guy (eh...me), can you recommend some inexpensive headphones? Preferably ones that have a mix in them to handle calls as well 😊.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb