Just updated to denim on L1520 and no "Hey Cortana"

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I just updated to Denim on my lumia 1520 and I can't get "Hey Cortana" to work. I saw some people say there was a training Cortana tutorial but I never got that. Any thoughts or way to reinstall denim?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Did you enable it under the lock screen? :S I don't know if that helps. I can't use Cortana because of the way I have my phone set up. But I've seen recent commenters' threads mention this as a common problem that they overlook. ;)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 930

SuperbSandy

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not able to train/ save "Hey, cortana" on my 1520 after denim update. I tried all possible way but it doesnt accept any voice. Any ideas on training it?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
you have to go close to the phone mic to train it properly...it was doing the same thing for me until I went close to the mic and it trained properly after which it wont matter how far you are to the pone it will work flawless... so far for me anyways.

tejazz

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem on my 1520 that got updated to Denim today, but turns out there's pretty a easy (but hard to find) solution.

If you have installed Denim (as in the new camera and everything works) but you still don't see a "Hey Cortana" option in the system settings page, you will need to download the Hey Cortana app from the store. Once installed, there will be a new entry in the settings page (at the very end) that you can use to train your voice.

I couldn't find this app in the store search, so I had to search for "Hey Cortana app" on Bing and it was the first or second result. I tried posting the direct link here, but my post count is too low to let me post hyperlinks.

However, I think this app is region locked so I guess it won't work if your region is not set to US or UK.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. It was a setting to enable hey Cortana as one of the above posts suggested. This is something I think Microsoft needs to get better at, that Apple does so much better. When I installed denim there should be an automatic tutorial over the phone has finished installing. Otherwise it is the community that has to help each other out.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. It was a setting to enable hey Cortana as one of the above posts suggested. This is something I think Microsoft needs to get better at, that Apple does so much better. When I installed denim there should be an automatic tutorial over the phone has finished installing. Otherwise it is the community that has to help each other out.

Or you could look it up yourself.

JW888

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Hey Cortana app....Hey Cortana | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

Hey Cortana | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Aazam husain

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
i also had problems when training cortana.. but then it was easy when i saw there was a "," after HEY so when you say HEY then wait like 0.5 sec and then say CORTANA...
Second thing you need to change the region to US or UK... train cotana and set back your own region... HEY CORTANA will still work.
Hope it hepls :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3