Lumia 1520 is the best phone ever

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Bought this phone in December 2013 and still rock solid... Every new firmware just make the phone even better. It kick in the *** every Android... Name me an Android phone from 2013 that can still receiving firmware in this year and still receiving the latest upgrade in OS? With the exemption of the nexus brand which not all are supported and none of the Nexus brand have SD support. I have to admit that the 1520 when it was released have some bugs with the display but it have been fixed with the last two firmware update and the battery got just even better with Denim. I am just in love with this phone and I owned flagship Sony phones, iPhones but never have the experience like with the 1520. Hope the next flagship Lumia is at the same level or even better.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just got my 1520 a few days ago, and I love it. Yes, I bought a 2013 device because of its rock solid performance. I wouldn't buy a 2013 Android phone, even if it were REALLY cheap! If they launch a 1521+ (whatever the next model will be called) without increasing the size, I'll buy it flat out as long as it has SD card support, 1080P screen and a huge battery :).

But to be honest, I'll probably stick with this phone for a while! I love it. :) awesome!

Thanks for making this thread.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
even though this phone is 2 years old which normally a year later a phone is obsolete this is still the fastest and was ahead of its time! everyone used to laugh at such a big phone and now look how everyone is copying them and coming out with 6" phones... I got rid of all my android phones because I luv WP 8.1 so much and the phone works flawless, I can't wait to get my other 32GB with wireless charging version Friday and start playing with that one... I know I will be happy with this phone for another year or 2 which says a lot about how much I luv this phone LOL normally I get bored pretty quick...

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind being a bit behind the curve.. Got my Note 2 back when it came out two years ago on contract... finally finished the contract and while it was a decent phone, the Windows phones just seemed faster so on Sunday I picked up a 1520 and so far it's been an incredible phone! Fast, one of the best cameras on ANY phone... and I love the OS with Denim... I can wait for W10 but this is good for at least a year of use.. It might be "old" but it's still top dog!

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Preaching to the choir: Yes, this is a great phone.
I'm a new user, had to have it repaired, end result; Runs very well now.
Have been switching between the Lumia and an Android flagship.
Though two years old, have to say the Lumia 1520 is my preference.
Believe WP is a better OS currently.
Hardware is a bit long in the tooth but the OS makes up for it.
Nokia did an excellent job.
Hope MS keeps up the quality, innovation, timeliness and passion.
We shall see.

Aaron_Jones

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm in total agreement with you guys. I came from the Sammy G Note 3 when I decided to make the switch. Not to put down any other makes and models i do prefer the WP OS on the 1520. The only thing that WP is lacking is the app count and the various development of replacement apps I'm use to. WP is improving by leaps and bounds as they just hit 200K apps in the store. I need to set aside some time to start doing some development of my own.

The camera is superb. I was at work and video recorded a procedure from one of our engineers to have for my team and the recording was awesome at 1080p 30fps. I loaded the MP4 into my adobe suite and took a look at the footage, it is on point with my pro cams. I shutter to see the 4K in my editing suite. I will be conducting some testing through out the day. I hope to post a test of the different recording settings and match with my pro cams as well just to give an idea of what can be done with this awesome tool.

The flow is simplified. For some people, they do not like change and will have to learn the the new settings and how to get to things on this OS as oppose to other platforms. Once you get it down it is simplified and pretty awesome.

I first thought it was a sign of cheap thrown together OS when I found that some of the stock settings and features were apps that could be installed and uninstalled. I later found that to be just the contrary. When I first updated to Denim this proved to be quite a convenience. The Cam app had issues with the slow rotate. By uninstalling the Cam app and soft reset, all is well. This is actually a strength and not a weakness. I'm pretty pumped about how MS is constantly working to make apps and info simplified across MS devices and platforms. That is what I actually came for.

Last edited:

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Love mine, it'd be my daily driver if it had google keep and pebble support. Once those are on it, ill be switching full time.

mstabes

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I really loved it when I first got mine, but with every passing day I get more stressed using it. A major issue for me personally is that the Bluetooth is almost useless for what I want it for (it won't stream audio correctly, on ANY device I have - car, BT speakers) as well as the all-round lack of being able to customize stuff is a major downer for me. The apps available lag behind too.
That said, I love the screen, the battery life, the camera (especially with Denim), its looks...
Can't wait for Win10 to see how it goes on this phone. Should be a winner.

Mart

sylau90

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think OP is a person that can be satisfied easily...The only thing I like about this phone is just battery life, nothing else.

1) No proper clock app out of the box, world clock, stop watch timer, I mean seriously?
2) Notification center/ push service is half-baked, already read my facebook message on my laptop 2 days ago, when I turned on wifi, the messenger app still receive toast notification.
3) Can't even organise my note in the one note app???
4) Live tiles are joke, if you didn't open the app, the tiles just won't update. For example, microsoft news app and facebook app, my facebook app live tile is still showing a friend's birthday that already passed more than 1 week.
5) I have 2 outlook account in the phone, both pinned to homescreen, there is no way I can differentiate the account since I always clear the inbox and the new email page not even showing which account I am sending from.
6) stock camera app can be silly, even with the flash turned off, when holding camera shutter to focus, the flash will still turn on.

I don't think app app is a huge issue with windows phone, the real issues are the app quality (update frequency, dev support & ease of use) and not to mention windows phone users/community has great patience and easy to satisfy which eventually makes windows phone team at Microsoft feel relax...

I don't understand why op needs to bring in android in this case, why don't you just focus on what you like about this phone? I know most of 2013 android don't official update, but still people have choice to flash custom rom which is extremely easy to do with one click flashing tool. However, there is not much choice in the windows phone side, all you can do is just wait...still waiting my denim update for my Lumia 1520 Hong Kong CV.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I like about this phone is just battery life, nothing else.

This is the only part of your post that relates to the 1520 itself. The rest of your post are general comments about the Windows Phone operating system which is common to all phones.

1) There's apps in the Windows Phone Store that can perform these tasks. Not everyone wants apps they don't need bundled with the phone.
2) You probably have too many apps enabled for push notification. Cut these down to the ones you actually need.
3) Yes, OneNote isn't pretty
4) See 2)
5) I have no idea what you mean here
6) Settings->photo - change the setting for "Focus light" so that the setting is "use flash settings" or "always off".

If you have issues with Windows Phone that don't relate to a specific device, please post in the appropriate forum section.

Thanks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And yes, I agree that the 1520 is the best phone on the planet right now.

I went as far as waving mine in Tuula Rylita's face (she's the CMO for Microsoft Mobile) and told her it's the best phone and asked her how a new flagship can possibly be better.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I think OP is a person that can be satisfied easily...The only thing I like about this phone is just battery life, nothing else.
5) I have 2 outlook account in the phone, both pinned to homescreen, there is no way I can differentiate the account since I always clear the inbox and the new email page not even showing which account I am sending from.

Hmm.. I also have two outlook accounts and a gmail account in the phone.. all pinned to the home screen... I named one outlook account "Personal" and one "Business"... I can see on the home screen they are labeled and when I get a new email the number shows up on the corresponding icon.. If I click the icon it takes me to the email account for that account and it shows me at the top: INBOX- PERSONAL or BUSINESS.. so I know which one I'm in and which one I'm responding to. Maybe you named them both the same thing?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you use the smallest tile size, the tile captions aren't shown. If you have the same kind of account, you can't see what account they're associated with.

Remembering where you pin stuff is a pretty good idea though which isn't really difficult when you have two tiles.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why op needs to bring in android in this case, why don't you just focus on what you like about this phone?

When someone is comparing something the alternative needs to be mentioned. You can't just say "I like this phone better". Better than what? The OP stated correctly that there are few phones from 2013 that are still receiving updates. Sometime this year we'll start getting Windows 10. In fact, I already have the TP on my 635. How many low-end budget phones can lay claim to that kind of updating?

clitrenta

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Bought this phone in December 2013 and still rock solid... Every new firmware just make the phone even better. It kick in the *** every Android... Name me an Android phone from 2013 that can still receiving firmware in this year and still receiving the latest upgrade in OS? With the exemption of the nexus brand which not all are supported and none of the Nexus brand have SD support. I have to admit that the 1520 when it was released have some bugs with the display but it have been fixed with the last two firmware update and the battery got just even better with Denim. I am just in love with this phone and I owned flagship Sony phones, iPhones but never have the experience like with the 1520. Hope the next flagship Lumia is at the same level or even better.

At this point, Id be happy to SEE a next flagship Lumia. Still waiting.......

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
If you use the smallest tile size, the tile captions aren't shown. If you have the same kind of account, you can't see what account they're associated with.

Remembering where you pin stuff is a pretty good idea though which isn't really difficult when you have two tiles.

Ahh... yeah.. with a 6" screen and folders, why make them small? Plenty of room for the regular size icons.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ahh... yeah.. with a 6" screen and folders, why make them small? Plenty of room for the regular size icons.

Ironically, out of the 24 tiles on my start screen, 16 are the smallest size. I just don't like my start screen to scroll - if there's something I need that's not front+centre, then I go to my app list.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ironically, out of the 24 tiles on my start screen, 16 are the smallest size. I just don't like my start screen to scroll - if there's something I need that's not front+centre, then I go to my app list.

I'm the same way. I have 18 tiles on my home screen that I frequently use. And I use 4 medium tiles just for my #tileart. Everything else stays in the app list.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 technically isn't 2 years old..it came out December 2013 so its only as of right now one year and 3 months old, and it isn't really the 2013 flagship either,becuz although it came out technically in 2013,it was very late 2013 and was more so nokias flagship for the year of 2014 alongside the icon which came out 2 months later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3