Issues with BT audio playback on denim. How to go back to cyan?

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I installed denim on my AT&T 1520 and most of the features work fine. However I have found a couple of issues that I cannot deal with.

1. At least podcast, if not all background downloads are broken. I start one and even if I just lock the screen, when I go back to it, it restarts. With a 1Mb internet connection at home this is really annoying. Not to mention automatic downloading doesn't work either so for every podcast that I want to listen to I need to sit and watch them..

2. Audio over bluetooth skips and stutters. As a pizza delivery driver who constantly listens to music and podcasts, this is really a deal breaker for me.

So, after a few hours of fruitless searching online, I would like to know how to return to cyan.

Last edited:

mstabes

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Can't help unfortunately, but it's good to know I'm not the only one with totally broken BT audio after Denim (not that it was working very well with Cyan).

Martin

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion, but a hard reset was one of the first things that I tried. I honestly don't really care about most of the new features in denim I just want my music to download and play correctly.

In my searching for a solution, I saw several people mention that they were going back to cyan, I just want to know how to do that.

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to stream to the radio in my 2010 mazda 3, but I have seen reports of people having issues with several different devices, so I am confident that has little to nothing to do with it.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
it might have a lot to do with it - i had a stuttering issue way back in the old days with my infiniti bluetooth a2dp

used to work fine on my focus - went to a lumia 900 - stutter - thought it was 900 not being up to it - then 1020 - same

got a new car and fitted a pioneer head unit - works fine - no issues at all from 1520 - also no issues to my jawbone jambox - which worked flawlessly with the 900 and 1020 - only thing that stuttered was the infinity with newer devices - older devices worked just fine

i am surprised it worked with the 1520 to begin with maybe the update changed something with the bluetooth profile that broke it for the older device - your mazda is likely on an old version of the BT stack - believe we're up to 4.0 now bet your car is not on 4.0

sucks but car audio is so far behind technology wise, its a waste of time - better to buy a car without it and fit newer head units

Last edited:

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
1520 also works fine with a $20 Doosl bluetooth 3.5mm audio receiver to my wired headphones - i would put money on it being the stereo in your mazda - my infinity was a 2010 - same year - older BT stack - not backwards compatible - i've read of instances where the infiniti did not work bluetooth with newer iphones, but older ones - so it's not even a problem unique to windows phone.

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
The fact that it has worked fine for me on cyan for the past several months all but proves that something changed with the phone. One day everything is fine, I install denim and the audio issues surface. Nothing changed with my car. All I want to know is how to bring my phone back to cyan so that I can at least rule out the possibility of the firmware update causing the issue. So please could someone tell me if it is even possible to do something like that.

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate you guys trying to help. So far I have tried soft resetting, hard reset and restore from backup, and today another hard reset without the restore. I have yet to try listening through my car again so the final reset might have fixed some things. It is possible that 8.1.1 introduced some changes to bluetooth that caused issues with the older setup in my car, but there is nothing I can do about the system in my car so I need to see if it is possible to make the phone work again.

mschmi02

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having BT stutter issues as well, with my L1520.3 and my 2012 Prius. No problems before the Denim update... well, actually I had TONS of BT audio problems when I also had a msft band paired with it, but those problems are well known and went away after I got rid of it.

mschmi02

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I saw a post on the MSFT forums that said people were having luck getting this fixed by removing all BT connections, soft resetting and repairing all back manually

Tim Bearden

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Mine now has the broken audio too. I found that if I connect to it then turn the phones bt off and back on it doesn't do it anymore . However, I have to do that nearly everytime I connect which is ridiculous.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I saw a post on the MSFT forums that said people were having luck getting this fixed by removing all BT connections, soft resetting and repairing all back manually

I had to do that when I went from my L920 to a L830 and when I was trying to connect my Moga pro controller

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I listened to music pretty much all day long and while at first everything seemed ok, the skips and stutters came back. Because I constantly disconnect and reconnect over the course of the day, the whole delete pairs, reset, and re-pair every time I want to connect is not an option.

So back the original question of the thread. How do I go back to cyan?

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I used Navifirm+ and downloaded the 8.1 CYAN ROM for my 1520.3, and installed it using Nokia Care Suite. No more BT audio issues, but the caveat is, I don't get the new stuff Denim has to offer.
IMO, Microsoft is taking too much time to fix this. It's obvious that many are experiencing this issue. They seem too worried about Windows 10, which is OK to a point. But they should prioritize more on what is already officially out there. Again, this is just my opinion ;)

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I actually have found a workaround for the problem. For me I just have to turn off WiFi. After that, any stuttering and skipping goes away. I realize that is not a solution for many people and I still think the microsoft should look into and fix the problem, but this works out for me.

After some passive research I am actually surprised that the 2.4 GHz channel is so crowded. WiFi, Bluetooth, microwaves, and even in some cases USB 3 all can transmit over the same frequency. If I were to make another guess at the cause is an issue with the driver because the WiFi and Bluetooth radios are in one module.

elpidiosimon

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
After updating to Denim, I can no longer control Music over bluetooth with my Alpine Car Stereo. Also, I can no longer see Artist, Album, and Song info on my Stereo's Display. Tried all the fixes from MS with no luck. They even called me on the phone to help. All was great before the update. Hopefully WP10 fixes the issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750