1520 calling problem

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Today I noticed than my calling is not working right. People can hear me but I am missing parts of what the other party is telling me. Something like 5 sec of normal conversation, and then for a second or two I hear nothing. I did a soft re-set but it did not help. Does this sound like a hardware issue? Did anyone else experience such behavior?

It looks like on external speaker it is working fine

Update: hard reset did not solve the problem

Another update: re-install OS through 'Microsoft Recovery Tool'. The same result. Looks like hardware issue...

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's working fine in speakerphone mode, then it does look like a hardware issue.

Warranty repair seems to be the way forwards here.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
If anybody wants to listen to the end of the story it is very telling. So my phone is 1520.3. I checked with Nokia/Microsoft that it is still on the warranty. They said yes, and sent me prepaid label for UPS shipping. I sent the phone and promptly received it back with notice from Microsoft that this phone is actually not on US warranty. But that part is not that interesting. I read that people already reported this stupidity (or scam?). The most interesting part is that the phone came back 'repaired'. It works now!!! Of course not thanks to Microsoft, but thanks to the fact that while it was travelling, it got completely discharged. Folks, if you have something similar, it may not be enough to hard reset (even using PC app as I did). Completely discharge it and then it can come back to life like my phone did

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
So I would assume only phones released to US carriers and in official Microsoft Store (including on-line) are covered under US warranty?

Did they mention what the repair cost was?

Makes me think twice about buying from B&H, Expansys-USA, and Newegg

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So I would assume only phones released to US carriers and in official Microsoft Store (including on-line) are covered under US warranty?

Did they mention what the repair cost was?

Makes me think twice about buying from B&H, Expansys-USA, and Newegg

When you buy an international device from them, there is always the option to purchase a warranty.

Though, I have to wonder if the warranty only acts on your behalf (a middleman) towards official NOKIA repair.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if your earpiece is not connecting well to the mainboard. The speaker has tiny delicate lever type springs that protrude from it's hole in the frame. As you place the mainboard down these springs connect to two small coresponding pads. If the earpiece speaker was in upside down, one of the springs were misaligned or the speaker had an intermittent short I could see your symptoms happening. I would be a shame if a $5 part is causing all these problems.

If you are indeed under warranty you need to find out where your supposed to send it.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought 2 Lumia 1520. One from NewEgg, and one from B&H about half a year apart. The first one was not advertised as having US warranty. When I received it about a year ago, I input the serial number in Nokia web site, and they said: Not on US Warranty. However the second one from B&H was advertised as having US Warranty. As soon as I bought it, I did the same - input the serial number in Nokia warranty page. And it was confirmed.

So when the phone broke I went on Nokia/Microsoft repair site and they confirmed again my phone was on the warranty in US, and they sent me an RMA and shipping label. In two days I received the phone back with the notice that it was not on the warranty in US. I read about such case before on this forum I believe.

I contacted B&H and sent then 2 PDF files from Microsoft. First saying it was on the warranty, second - it was not. This time B&H sent me the RMA. So it looks they are willing to resolve this issue. I will report here after I receive the phone back.

As for the defect itself, it looks to me the earpiece speaker is actually dying. It is getting worse and worse with some strange sounds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital