My 1520 has become an embarrassment. :(

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When I first bought my unlocked 1520 the only problem it had was the swipe/tap mix up that a lot of other 1520s had. Subsequent updates seem to have introduced many more problems to the point where I am embarrassed to use the phone in public or even let a member of my family use it.

The biggest problem is that the phone will freeze and become unresponsive. This can happen out of the blue but it mainly happens after using the phone to make or take a call, it also happens if I put the phone in a pocket, front, back, jacket or coat it doesn't matter, there's a 90% chance the phone will be frozen when I take it out. The only way to resolve it is to do a soft reset.

The second biggest problem is the phone getting hot and flipping out. Sometimes it will get red hot during normal use, i.e. using Facebook, browsing photos, or using other apps, but it always happens when I try to launch a game. The top rear area of the phone heats up to the point it's almost uncomfortable to touch and then the vibration motor starts vibrating randomly, apps start closing and the screen alternates between showing the start menu and showing the open apps screen (sometimes showing two start screens open!) rapidly, the only way to stop this is to try and close any open apps and to let the phone cool down.

The other problems are smaller but nevertheless as annoying and include using the phone with Bluetooth devices that are already paired, (sometimes the phone won't detect the device unless I re-pair) and occasionally being told that the SD card is either missing or that it has faults on it.

At the moment the phone is on Denim software and GDR 1, it has been on GDR 2 but after trying Win 10 TP and rolling back it lost GDR 2. It has been hard reset after every update but the problems persist. I am not eligible for an update until Christmas but if it continues like this then I'm going to have to buy a cheap phone in the meantime.

Crying shame really as people were impressed by the phone wherever I took it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I suggest rolling the phone back to the original software that it was running brand new, see if the problems pertain, then jump forward again. If the problems persist, you may have to think about a cheap phone in the mean time, which is sad to say. The 1520 is a great phone.

devRU

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Can you lock/unlock the phone(using hardware button) while it is freezed?. If so then your phone is not freezed. Its just a problem with your touch screen. To resolve this issue, cover your phone screen with your palm for few seconds. After doing this you will be able to use your phone without any problem.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Everything the screen is doing is likely due to the overheating, the question is why is it overheating and can it be fixed. We can try to help you troubleshoot it if that is something you want to go through.

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. My Android friends mock me due the things you listed which also happens to me. Don't forget the frustrating 'resume' screen. I don't know whether this is software related or hardware related. 1520 is a great phone, in fact its still the best Windows phone out there. Microsoft will announce flagship phones sometime this year and with that they'll release Windows 10 for mobile. Either you can try Windows 10 in your 1520 or go for the New Flagship. Only problem for me is, after using this 6 inch giant, its hard to switch even to a 5' 7" device. Sk I might wait till the next flagship. Also the leaked specs are just par with other flagship phones. Not a deal breaker. But we'll get to know sooner. I'm just gonna try windows 10 on my 1520 and hope these probably are fixed so that I can take on my friends.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it's hardware related. I'd try to get another 1520 to hold over till then. Not sure about the international version but they can be found for under $250.

Conrad Shull

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
My 1320 was nearly non-functional with many of the same issues after the 10149 update, until I did a full reset. Pretty much everything fell into place after. I already had as much as could backed up on OneDrive via phone settings. I had to re-download and install most of my apps, but that provides a good opportunity to prune apps. It still has an overheating problem that comes in fits.

Forjo Atinxan

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The big problems I have are that Cortana is no longer updating me on interests and anytime I use the camera the accelerometer becomes super sluggish to the point of being unusable for anything from rotating the screen (which it takes 2-3 seconds to do). I've also seen more instability lately and considerably degraded battery life. I used to finish the day with about 40-50%. Now I'm hitting battery saver every day except the weekends. :(

Resetting isn't an option because I'll lose apps that have been unpublished.

I hope GDR2 helps, but who knows if it'll ever be released in a way I can actually get it. I'm not willing to take the risk on 10. Based on the L520 I have it on it's a disaster overrun with circles, hamburgers, and missing features. :(

-Forjo

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I so feel you on this one... The 1520 was a bit of a niche phone to start with, but it ran so amazingly beautiful that many were willing to overlook the size of the device to get the performance of it. Then, update after update, the 1520 became less and less impressive. I'd like to say that it's the entire WP lineup though, not just the 1520. I know the gold code build of Win 10 isn't too far off, but seriously, if they continue to kill the performance like it has with my M8, 920 and 1520, I'm not sure I'd stand in line for it.

Ever since they came out with 8.0, Windows Phone has been one let down after another for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still on board with it - mostly - but 7.5 was brilliant. Social media - built into the OS... Photo backup - build into the OS... One touch access to everything - built into the OS... It was clean, simple, fast and fluid. 8.0 became a nightmare very quickly and it's only gotten worse. So far for me, the 10TP has been nice. I would love to see that setup that MS might use to flash Win10 on to any device. I would love to run it on my M9 to see if it's a question of the 1520 just not quite having enough strength to run the post Denim stuff or if they will scale back Win8/Win10 for quad-core devices to lighten the load on the processor. Glitches happen, but so far, I'm not super impressed with the fact that they ripped EVERYTHING out of the OS and made it stand alone Apps.

Now, back to the topic at hand... The thing to remember when showing off that 1520 that locks up... You are running software that they can only dream of having. You are a beta tester - one of the few, the proud, the brave. You take software that could utterly destroy a device and put it on your daily driver like a beast. Don't fret when the screen doesn't respond - just reboot. If you hate the mail program as much as I do, don't get mad, fill out a feed back form. Most Android users would never - A) be able to figure out how to install a pre-release ROM or B) wouldn't know what they had if they did. Consider yourself the true pioneer in the mobile world that you are and enjoy the glitches and look forward to the next build. It will only get better and better by September, but by being a part of the early builds, you'll just make it better for all those 1520 users that will be upgrading later.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Aside from the touch/swipe bug early on and the normal problems due to using preview OSs, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my 1520. I must just be lucky or incredibly patient... I don't know which.

James Weimar

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Before my tech preview upgrade, AT&T installed Cyan&Denim upgrades then onward to win10 . So far so good, mail app finally integrated Gmail and it's working pretty well. Some live tiles not responsive, otherwise ok. No MS Edge yet, but App store Chrome working ok and MSN loads ok. No battery issues.

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow my 1520 is great, never had those problems, but my wife's SGs5 Android phone is having all of those problems you're naming.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. My Android friends mock me due the things you listed which also happens to me. Don't forget the frustrating 'resume' screen. I don't know whether this is software related or hardware related. 1520 is a great phone, in fact its still the best Windows phone out there. Microsoft will announce flagship phones sometime this year and with that they'll release Windows 10 for mobile. Either you can try Windows 10 in your 1520 or go for the New Flagship. Only problem for me is, after using this 6 inch giant, its hard to switch even to a 5' 7" device. Sk I might wait till the next flagship. Also the leaked specs are just par with other flagship phones. Not a deal breaker. But we'll get to know sooner. I'm just gonna try windows 10 on my 1520 and hope these probably are fixed so that I can take on my friends.

Friends with Androids have no business knocking anyone. I have the latest Android and marvel at its "personality" at times - and I've had it less than a week.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
One big problem is your friends determine your happiness or what makes you happy. Some friends you have to not support your decision to go Microsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3