On vacation...phone is continuously restarting.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So I just got out to LA for my 17 day vacation and 2 days in, my 1520 decided to just continuously reboot itself.

I took it to a Microsoft store today and the tech attempted to use the software recovery tool. But he plugged it into a PC so it never got enough power to even boot up to the home screen and he told me there was nothing he could do.

If if I plug it into the wall, it'll boot up to the home screen for about 20 seconds and then just shut off and boot right back up and do the same thing.

I'm kind of at a loss on what to try now. Do you guys have any ideas? Would a hard reset with 2% battery be a bad idea? I really don't want to use my upgrade right now with windows 10 devices right on the horizon.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks!

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
My advice is to plug it with the original wall charger, even though it keeps restarting but the battery will eventually get charged, or suggests the tech support to change the battery first with a recharged one. Hard reset with 2% battery is a bad idea, you don't want hard reset to get stopped in the middle of process, it might not boot at all or not even detected on PC anymore.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had it plugged in all night for 2 nights in a row now and the battery is still at 2%.

​I'm assuming it's because the phone isn't staying on long enough to charge up before it reboots itself.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to charge the phone without it trying to turn on?

So I'm stuck in an endless bootloop. I can't get my battery past 2% because the phone won't stay off and charge. It keeps turning itself on when plugged in.

Is there any way to charge the phone in a shut down state so I can get the battery up and then try to hard reset it?

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to charge the phone without it trying to turn on?

no, as far as i know, that is how lumias work, power detected = boot up, but it should eventually charge up sufficiently, if your power source is all present and correct, it may take a longer time initially if depleted, but it shouldn't be an issue in the long run, as power in should well exceed power drain whilst connected to charger - just be patient with it

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

The thing is, the phone restarts itself after about 20 seconds, so I'm not getting any power gain. I've had the phone plugged in for 24 hours straight and it won't go past 2% because the phone keeps restarting and doesn't have a chance to charge.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

i totally understand what you are saying, even so, IF the power plug, AND the usb cable are correct, it should be putting more power into it (i know it isnt currently), i presume you are using the stock/original spec usb charger plug and cable. unless the battery has a terminal issue, where it simply isn't taking charge - could you try a universal usb charging plug off another device? and a different usb cable just to eliminate one end of the equation maybe

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Most phones charge with when phones turned on so the phone can utilise the over charging to get to 100% then cut off and use what it needs. A quick charge so to speak!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Threads merged.

Please, let's keep this all in one thread. It actually works against you as any advice gets scattered around and a coherent conversation cannot develop as easily...

Have you tried another charger???

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've another idea, since you said the phone didn't get enough power to boot up while connected to PC, try to plug the phone to a powered USB hub first, then quickly reset the phone using WPRT, 20 seconds should be enough for the phone to get detected on PC.

If that doesn't work, just go to service point and try change the battery or they might reflash your phone with JTAG.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of different chargers/cables. Nothing works.

sometimes the phone will tell me a certain charger/cable is charging the phone slowly so I stay away from those.

Last edited:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Goes to show just because you took it to the Microsoft store doesn't mean the person is competent.

As RumoredNow said, the FIRST thing to do in your phones' case is to replace the battery.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I had to buy a lame 635 for now.

Funny thing is, right after I set up the 635, I got an update saying its to fix continuous restarts.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any other ideas? I miss my 1520.

Should I try my local Microsoft store here in Florida? I went to 2 in California that weren't of much help.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If you are not comfortable at taking the phone apart changing out the battery, checking for a loose wire or bad socket, I'd ask around and find someone who is reputable and works on phones and take it to them, See if they think the same about the bad battery, loose/broken wire or bad socket/connector in phone.

If that battery has short circuited its not going to charge and your phone will not operate no matter what king of power charger you plug it in, modern vehicles are the same way, if one of the cells short out in the battery the engine will not start no matter how fast you crank it, you can unhook the shorted battery and then hook up jumper cables and it will start up.

Learn what you can do to prevent a Li-ion battery to fall asleep.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off

This is just a paragraph of the article
Li-ion batteries contain a protection circuit that shields the battery against abuse. This important safeguard has the disadvantage of turning the battery off if over-discharged. Storing a discharged battery for any length of time can do this as the self-discharge will gradually lower the voltage of a battery that is already low on charge. The protection circuit will eventually cut off between 2.20 and 2.90V/cell

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte