Is the Windows 10 Mobile free to update on the 29th of July?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes and No.

Yes, the update is free.

No, it's not available on the 29th July. Windows Phone Mobile will be released some time after the end of July. At this point we don't know when.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread as it really is not specific to the Lumia 1520, even though that may very well be the device you own...

The July 29 release of Windows 10 is for desktop software. PC, laptop and tablet are qualified devices to get a free upgrade beginning July 29 if they are currently running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 - Windows 8 machines need to upgrade (free) to 8.1 before they are eligible for 10. Those who helped test the upcoming release through Windows Insider will get priority on the upgrade... Others will follow in rapid succession I would assume. That would be for OTA upgrade. Personally I plan on trying to install fresh from a disk I will burn, but not everyone likes doing that. *shrug* My wife will use the OTA path to retain her data. I'll be restoring externally saved backup data and reinstalling needed Apps and programs.

For Windows 10 Mobile, the development is purposely staged to have begun after the desktop version. It will also not release officially until after the desktop version. The vague (as yet) target for Windows 10 Mobile to go official is sometime in Autumn of 2015. It will be free to everyone who can upgrade. Following the desktop model, I would imagine those using Windows Insider might get some preference for downloading early.

Microsoft has made it very clear they plan to offer Windows 10 Mobile to every phone running Windows Phone 8 or 8.1. They have also made it clear such upgrades will be free. Here is the sticking point. If your device is not a Lumia, the RTM will go to the manufacturer; they may decline to pass the update to your device. If your phone is carrier branded, the carrier may decline to pass the OTA to your phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb