I think I got took

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Ordered a 1520 off eBay. Stated it was a 32gb model w/64gb microSD card.
Received it today. Thrown into a priority mail envelope w/ charger...no packing or nothing. I'm surprised it didn't arrive damaged.
I checked it & it's showing it's a 16gb model (it did have the 64gb sd card).
I've contacted the seller since I specifically stated on my offer that it was a 32gb model & he accepted my offer.
Guess i'll wait & see and in the meantime play with the phone to see if I can get used to this monster!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
In the meantime, check for the phantom touch issue, that some Lumia 1520's have exhibited.

Load up a graphic intensive game & have at it. Check w HD videos.

Check the SETTINGS >> EXTRAS&INFO for the model number / type - that'll tell you, definitively, what you have.

What carrier were you planning to use it on?

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Can you recommend such a game that I might download a free trial in order to check? What will I look for?
"Settings>>Extras + info" didn't tell me about the storage...I had to find that in "Storage Sense". It showed 3.40GB used & 11.16GB free.
I'm planning on having it SIM unlocked so I might use the GSM carrier of my choice.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
eBay sellers are pretty notorious for just copy/pasting stuff without really knowing what they have in hand. If it works and you like it... Start a dispute with eBay for a partial refund based on the decreased spec. Otherwise, just put it in the same envelope and return it when you get your full refund.

Out of curiosity, what are the seller's reviews like?

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Shame on me for not checking sellers' rating...6 total feedbacks w/80% positive.
I'll check for the "phantom touch" & decide. Any other tests I can run?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Can you recommend such a game that I might download a free trial in order to check? What will I look for? try any FREE Angry Birds, play it, see what happens
"Settings>>Extras + info" didn't tell me about the storage...I had to find that in "Storage Sense". It showed 3.40GB used & 11.16GB free. BUT, it will tell you which model you have (there were 3 different variants)
I'm planning on having it SIM unlocked so I might use the GSM carrier of my choice. HOW were you planning on doing that? It's obviously an AT&T variant, will AT&T unlock it?

see comments in RED

IF I were you, I'd be returning it (seller misrepresented it), unless seller is willing to re-negotiate price. IF it was more than $300 & seller will NOT budge on price ... he/she gets it back!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Depends upon what you paid for it, and how critical 32gb vs 16gb is.

The standard ebay catalog for an unlocked 1520 is 32gb. Sellers should note in their listing is 16gb. it is their mistake if they don't.

If you can live with it, ask for a partial refund, depending upon what you paid. If you indicate that, I can tell you if you got a deal or if got hosed.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Additional to the above - the first 1520 I sold on ebay, I made the same mistake. I didn't know their catalog was wrong. I have about 600 phone sales on ebay, and this guys leaves crap feedback, I'm a crook, low down criminal, reported to ebay, should be kicked off ebay, blah blah blah.

My response was - email me and I'll give you a partial or full refund - it was an honest mistake.

The short story is not every seller is a crook. Maybe your guy is, but most aren't. I have dealt with a few bad sellers, but I have dealt with far more stupid buyers.

Approach the seller calmly, and see what he says. If he is unresponsive or unreasonable, then open a return case.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
see comments in RED

IF I were you, I'd be returning it (seller misrepresented it), unless seller is willing to re-negotiate price. IF it was more than $300 & seller will NOT budge on price ... he/she gets it back!

I'll try Angry Birds.
It's the 1520.2.
I've sent an unlock request to AT&T. I should hear from them in the next day or two.
Seller offered a $50 refund. I'm considering it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I would submit that, if the seller offered a $50 partial, and you accept, then you should leave positive feedback as well, as that is indicative of a seller that actually cares.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The one you have is locked to ATT (RM-940), has only 16GB internal storage and has has the Qi charging taken out. It can PMA wireless charge with a special case - that's what those three pins are for on the back, the charging jacket connects up there.

The 1520.3 (RM-938) is Factory Unlocked and the radio is good for anywhere in the Americas. The RM-937 has a European type radio in it. Both of these have 32GB internal and Qi charging built in (no case needed).

There is an RM-939 is a variant for China and has no LTE enabled. It is just H+.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I think it's pretty much a sure thing that it's going back now.
When I sent a request to AT&T to get it unlocked, they denied it because "You have not completed all the payments for your device according to your AT&T Next service agreement."
I refused the $50 partial refund & told the seller I was going to let eBay intervene.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Almost every eBay listing pulls in copy paste specs for the wrong 1520 model. Most ATT models are pulling in the 32gig spec sheet. This is eBay's fault although the seller should clearly state in their text that its 16. I hate eBay's auto spec feature. It's often wrong and creates havoc for sellers that don't pay attention.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I think it's pretty much a sure thing that it's going back now.
When I sent a request to AT&T to get it unlocked, they denied it because "You have not completed all the payments for your device according to your AT&T Next service agreement."
I refused the $50 partial refund & told the seller I was going to let eBay intervene.

I'm curious as to why the unlock is a deal breaker. Was it supposed to be unlocked when you bought it?

That message means you can still use it on ATT, but not other networks. If it was advertised as unlocked, then you have an issue. If it was advertised ATT, then you don't.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I realize that I can still use it on AT&T, but unless the guy pays his bill, i'm going to be stuck to AT&T & not be able to go with any other GSM networks.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
OP go to cellunlocker.net problem solved... have always used them for about 3 phones now, only 1 time they couldn't unlock it so they gave me a refund..

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I realize that I can still use it on AT&T, but unless the guy pays his bill, i'm going to be stuck to AT&T & not be able to go with any other GSM networks.

RumoredNow said:
If the buyer stops payments, then the device gets black listed and no SIM will work...

What he ^^^^ said - get out of this deal as quick as U can !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb