need help with 1520 can't receive MMS!!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm using an AT&T unlocked L1520 on videotron provider and I can't receive any MMS! I can send just fine, but nothing comes in! it's driving me crazy! I have checked all the settings and nothing seems to work? does any one else by any chance use a L1520 on videotron that can tell me what settings you have that works? BTW I have entered these settings from this website https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/749_9_videotron_apn_settings_for_nokia_lumia_1520.php and I still can't receive them and I know I could in the beginning!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this Videotron issue around the board a couple times. No definitive solution seems to have appeared.

Lets think about it logically: your MMS APN must be correct or you could not send MMS. It is patently absurd to believe otherwise. There is no "partial" MMS APN and no second slot for "receive."

The other common trick, borrowing from Vzw WP on GSM, would be to force 2G... But that is crazy as well. How do you know you are receiving an MMS to flip to 2G ahead of time? And who wants to run around in 2G all the time? Looks like Videotron doesn't even have 2G at any rate, probably due to the CDMA phase out in Canada...

Here's a last ditch effort: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/211644-2.htm#post1968529

Also note that Videotron is an odd duck. They list their UMTS (3G/H+) as 1700 MHz. ONLY 1700 MHz. Wind and Mobilicity are this way also. I see many issues from these subscribers being posted to the fora. IDK if they also use 2100 MHZ without mentioning it or they simply don't lease it. The vast majority of phones tapping 1700 in the UMTS range are doing so on band 4 AWS which means they use 1700 MHz for the Uplink and require 2100 MHZ for the Downlink. Your service may simply not match your phone's radio all that well. I'd love some confirmation as to which UMTS band Videotron is using. I suspect strongly it is not band 4 which your RM-940 uses.

I believe MMS usually drops down to the lowest data speed and on most carriers that would be 2G. Your service appears not to have 2G so your phone drops it to 3G where the radio can Uplink, but not Downlink due to the band difference between RM-940 and Videotron.

Note that I'm extrapolating here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_the_Americas#Canada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Did you update the IMEI with your provider on your account when you starting using this phone?

I changed phones on ATT, and after around 2 months, I had the same issue. I tried 100 things on the phone side, and finally called into ATT. The had the IMEI from my last phone, and they told me if the system picks up a difference, it disables inbound data (internet explorer too). They updated the IMEI, and it worked immediately.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
ok thanks Gordon I will try that, but AT&T is a lot different from videotron...

True, that's why I wanted to let you know it was ATT. I drove myself nuts for a whole weekend trying to figure APN settings, etc, and it was fixed in 2 minutes on a phone call.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Bring it into the ATT store. My T Mobile was having the same problem. A new sim card fixed it up.

no offence but your reading skills are pretty bad, I'm NOT WITH AT&T, I'm with videotron... :winktongue: but since it worked for a few months when I first got my phone with a new sim card and have taken the sim card out without turning off the phone, MAYBE I damaged the sim card. So I might take your suggestion and go do that...

Calydus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Did you manage to solve your issue?
I have an 830 from rogers and before a 920 too and it NEVER #@$%@#%@#%@ worked.

I can't wait to get the 950 unlocked... but if I can fix it meanwhile.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Did you manage to solve your issue?
I have an 830 from rogers and before a 920 too and it NEVER #@$%@#%@#%@ worked.

I can't wait to get the 950 unlocked... but if I can fix it meanwhile.

you have the new 950? how is it? I wanna get the 950XL

nope still can't to this day and I spent almost 1 hour with a videotron tech in the store and he couldn't get it to work neither! go figure :eck:

Calydus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
nope still can't to this day and I spent almost 1 hour with a videotron tech in the store and he couldn't get it to work neither! go figure :eck:

I remember reading something that's its a setting in the ROM itself... fortunately, the 950 coming out, I'll be buying it unlocked and won't have this problem anymore.

SPD_G

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I remember reading something that's its a setting in the ROM itself... fortunately, the 950 coming out, I'll be buying it unlocked and won't have this problem anymore.

Calydus, did you get your 950 working? I have a 950 right now and I have the same problem where I can send but not receive MMS - has anyone been able to get this to work on Videotron?

Calydus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Calydus, did you get your 950 working? I have a 950 right now and I have the same problem where I can send but not receive MMS - has anyone been able to get this to work on Videotron?

No. Never managed to make it work. Ive switched to rogers now and after popping in the sim everything worked perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo