So who is still rocking a 1520 these days?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Has anyone here used both? What is the difference in camera quality?

I have both, the 950XL camera is really good. While the 1520 is no pushover, its does lose to the XL during very lowlight. Also lens distortion shows up at the outer regions of the picture. (Try taking a picture of a big group of people... you can see the "stretched" faces, more apparent when their faces are placed at the edges or corners)

... !!

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I have both, the 950XL camera is really good. While the 1520 is no pushover, its does lose to the XL during very lowlight. Also lens distortion shows up at the outer regions of the picture. (Try taking a picture of a big group of people... you can see the "stretched" faces, more apparent when their faces are placed at the edges or corners)

... !!

Thanks! How do you notice speed difference with W10? Noticeable?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's slightly slower on W10 when launching apps I use. But really, no difference when actually using the apps.
My 1520 is set up slightly different than my wife's. Since mine is mainly to mess about. I have too many apps. (... "too many apps" on WP??? ..haha. . On the other hand, she uses hers as a daily driver. Unfortunately, its definitely slower esp FB. It hangs and crashes. My guess it's her Photos hub has to many folders.

... !!

Last edited:

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It's slightly slower on W10 when launching apps I use. But really, no difference when actually using the apps.
My 1520 is set up slightly than my wife's. Since my is mainly to mess about. I have too many apps. (... "too many apps" on WP??? ..haha. . On the other hand, she uses hers as a daily driver. Unfortunately, its definitely slower esp FB. It hangs and crashes. My guess it's her Photos hub has to many folders.

... !!

Awesome thanks! One other question I had in regards to the camera is how does it do with moving targets? I've found the hardest thing to capture is my kids as they never stop moving ha ha

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The 1520 performs well on Windows 10 Mobile (and supposedly it's even faster with the Creator Update) and its camera still holds up even today. For an older phone, it's pretty great. However, the 950 XL is definitely the better phone in every way unless you're looking for sheer screen size. You're going to get better performance, a better camera (in both low light and in capturing moving targets), a better screen, and the added benefit of Windows Hello. If you can find the 1520 for a good price it's worth getting but if you have the budget for the 950 XL I suggest that instead. Most 1520's you're going to find today are either used or, well, they're just plain old. You can't really tell how long they're going to last, especially their batteries (considering they're not removable).

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 1520 holds up very well even today.

IMO Windows 10 Mobile flies on the device and you shouldn't be worried about I lacking in terms of performance.

Camera was spectacular back in the day and in fact it still is higher than above average.
The Lumia 950 XL and Galaxy S7 has eclipsed it though in terms of sheer picture quality.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I used a L640XL before. Sent it back because of a screen defect, and bought a L1520. Quite frankly the best mobile phone I've own thus far. What I love the most of this phone is its build quality. Its built like a tank, with a solid hefty weight to it. Feels rock solid... Screen is excellent too. :)

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My 1520.3 is just fine. Like others, I had to replace the battery. It's fine on W10 Fast Ring.

If you got a good, original battery that charges to 100%, could you please tell me where or who you ordered your battery from? Everyone on here is so secretive about stuff like that and I don't understand why. I would love to be able to still have a working 1520 as mine is in absolute brand new condition except for the battery. Anyway, I would really appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte