Lumia 2520 has desktop mode!!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Oops, my bad.
But then what's the difference between rt and pro

This was a common misconception that I fell for originally too.

The difference between RT and Pro isn't the Desktop, but the fact that on the Pro the Desktop mode can run legacy apps, apps that were written for Win7 and before.
My understanding through playing with a demo unit is that the RT Desktop is used for the Office suite, file browser and internet browser (item like that)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, does that mean you can't download software from the web?

as erzhik said, only on Pro. With an RT, you can't go to iTunes.com and download their program... to download and install apps you have to go through the Microsoft Store.

The reason for that is being the processor inside of the RT tablets just isn't powerful enough to be able to keep up with all the demands that a full Windows 8 PC can handle, so they are cheaper.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Slight correction, both Core and Professional can run legacy (x86) applications. Not every Windows 8/8.1 device that is not RT is Professional.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
as erzhik said, only on Pro. With an RT, you can't go to iTunes.com and download their program... to download and install apps you have to go through the Microsoft Store.

The reason for that is being the processor inside of the RT tablets just isn't powerful enough to be able to keep up with all the demands that a full Windows 8 PC can handle, so they are cheaper.

You can't even download the app? I know it wouldn't install but I would think downloading would still work.

Sent from my Sony Xperia? Z Ultra

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I wish Nokia will make something to conquer the Surface Pro 2 as well, so I can decide if I want MS or Nokia, lol. But seriously though, that would be so cool! Lumia 2520 Pro, do it!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The surface 1 rt was hacked to run pro right?
Maybe they can hack the Lumia 2520 too!!

the hardware differences are significant enough to making x86 Windows on the RT a no go.

The RT was jailbroken in a way to allow running desktop apps either recompiled for the ARM architecture (not many, there's a thread regarding this on XDA)
or .net apps which I believe are compatible.
You were probably thinking of that.

MS probably didn't allow any (even compatible binaries) desktop apps for the sake of simplicity.

You were probably thinking of that

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Simply put:

RT - Windows 8 that can install "Smartphone Apps" only.

Devices with full Windows 8 - Windows 8 that can install "Smartphone Apps" AND usual "Desktop Apps"

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Simply put:

RT - Windows 8 that can install "Smartphone Apps" only.

Devices with full Windows 8 - Windows 8 that can install "Smartphone Apps" AND usual "Desktop Apps"
Desktop "apps" may be referred to as programs ;)

For Windows RT, it comes with desktop programs preinstalled. It comes with a lot aside from just Office.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The big difference between RT and Windows 8 (regular and professional) is that they are built for different processor architectures. If we are just talking performance, the two ARM processors would certainly be able to run Windows 8 as well as they seem faster than the old Atom processors which obviously were able to run full Windows. The thing that is preventing them from it is not the processing power but the fact that regular programs are not written to run on ARM.

There is an upside to this, which always seem to be forgotten when people talk about Windows RT being useless, and that is that Windows RT is immune to every single virus and malware which is written to be run on regular x86 hardware, and the same goes for those wonderful browser toolbars. If you don't need more than what Windows RT offers, which seems to be case at the moment with my Atom tablet, the fact that Windows RT runs less programs might very well be an advantage.

The desktop is there for office, the file manager and the more capable desktop browser. I don't get it why some are so eager to get rid of the desktop on RT, as this bonus functionailty is pretty much the definitve reason for getting a Surface or 2520 instead of a regular tablet. It is a lot better to manage folders on the desktop compared to on possible metro file manager.

austin ermis

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Correct, you can only install software on an RT device via the Store.
not true, if you download Arm program, you can Intall it on your winRT device, and run it.. Heck, I believe google even made a version of google chrome for ARM based tablets. It is not that arm is not powerful, but it is the fact that arm processors require thing to be compiled for specifically Arm processors. Also, arm processors are typically made by other companies than intel or AMD
Such as Broadcom or realtek, one of the most popular is he QUALCOMM snapdragon processors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss