How to restore from USB

m1nstral

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a query over anyone else's experience in trying to restore a Lumia 2520 from USB. My tablet won't activate as I don't have a product key and "slui 4" option continues to load so I know there's something screwy with Windows as it's currently running on the device. I'm at a cross roads as to what's the right approach to restore.

1. I go into recovery and choose 'advanced start-up' and restart
2. I choose 'Use a device' to boot from USB
3. There, I have a number of USB options - a USB Class Device icon and 4 EFI USB Device icons. I don't know which one to choose. Does anyone know which one?
4. Selecting any of the USB options the device reboots, I can select a language and keyboard layout
5. In the next 'Choose an option' screen I can select to 'Use a device' again. I'm presented with the same number of USB options. I'm unsure which one to choose here

I assume 3 lets you choose where to boot the device and 5 lets you choose where to install the recovery from? I'm assuming also that logically what's selected at 3 should match 5 but then there's a few combinations that could be chosen between the 5 different USB options.

I've tried a mix of USB options and my Lumia seems to be in the same state, not being able to activate and not rebooting into a clean state and having to enter a new username and password etc. So I'm not sure if I'm going about the recovery wrong, or if the image doesn't work, or that I'm selecting the wrong USB options.

Anyone who has successfully done a USB restore I'd love to hear from you. A hard reset using the recovery partition doesn't solve my activation issue.

My only other option is to delete the restore partition and some how this might force the device to read off USB. The kicker here is I've read it's impossible to restore the recovery back onto the hard drive.

Thanks all!

m1nstral

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Tried all those. It seems like the existing install and recovery / BIOS don't appear to have their keys for whatever reason. Hence, why I'm trying an image from another tablet I known that works.

m1nstral

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I did try Microsfot support and it was unfortunately painful.

Tried Lumia support first, then was routed to Windows (as it's an OS issue), then routed to Surface support (as it's a tablet issue), and then routed back to Lumia (as it's not a Surface issue). 2.5 hours I won't be getting back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3