Form factor: Monoblock touch

SIM card type: Micro SIM
Dual SIM: No
Charging connectors: Micro-USB Charging Connector
AV connectors: 3.5 mm audio connector
System connectors: Micro-USB-B connector
USB: USB 2.0
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 3.0
Bluetooth profiles: Object Push profile (OPP) 1.1, Hands-free profile (HFP) 1.5, Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) 1.0, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.4
Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
WLAN Security: WPA2 (AES/TKIP), WPA, WPA-Personal, WEP, PEAP-MSCHAPv2, EAP-SIM, EAP-AKA
No NFC

GSM network: 1800 MHz, 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 21.1 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps

Battery: BL-5J
Battery capacity: 1430 mAh
Battery voltage: 3.7 V
Removable battery: Yes
Maximum 2G talk time: 14.8 h
Maximum 3G standby time: 360 h
Maximum 3G talk time: 9.6 h
Maximum cellular network browsing time: 6.7 h
Music playback time: 61 h
Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 6.2 h
Wireless charging: No

Processor name: Snapdragon™ S4
Processor type: Dual-core 1.0GHz
RAM: 512 MB

Mass memory: 8 GB
Expandable memory card type: MicroSD
Maximum memory card size: 64 GB
Free cloud storage: 7 GB

Source: nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia520/specifications

Cheers to the sleeper hit of Windows Phone 8!

Plus, from Nokia Conversations:
The Lumia 520 will be coming to T-Mobile!

EDIT: Apparently, a Lumia 520 variant will be coming to T-Mobile, called the Lumia 521.

Last edited:

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Most important thing all should know is that the HERE Drive does not work internationally!!

To be fair for ?100 I doubt many would expect it to have an international satnav built in. The sad thing for me is the absence of a flash but again it was only ?100 and is by far better (imo) than any Android equivalent at the same price.

Urajpaudel

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
my camera button on lumia520 stopped working properly. when i try to capture using the physical camera button, it only
uses autofocus(the one with the rectangle) but no capture of photo but when i try to capture by tapping
the screen, no problem occurs.
my camera button is responsive when i press it but it cannot be used to capture. i tried to restart the phone, also reset my phone(in about
menu) but still the same..what should i do?

vikram sehtya

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Its the problem with the dedicated camera button. Here what you can do is visit the nearby Nokia Service Center and asked them to check the dedicated camera button on back battery cover or what Nokia calls it "Shell". Hopefully the problem will get solve while replacing the current Shell. Can't see it as an hardware issue.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
what do you mean there is no satnav? it has GPS and here drive allows you to download maps for any country,
where is the restriction?

anupamm

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
This is a design/ manufacturing fault by Nokia. I bought from Flipkart.com and had to get the handset replaced. This is NOT a case issue and I experienced the same problem.....side camera button does focus but does not click picture. It's a SHAME and hope NOKIA folks reads this.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the stigma needs to drop from this phone that being that it is an affordable phone or can be used as a back up phone, folks can just drop it in their glove compartment for use on a rainy day. IMO, anything that's electronic and sits in your car will not survive for long

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
On my 521, I can't hold the camera still sometimes when I push the button. The solution for me, when I want a shot without moving or shaking the camera is to download the Voice Camera app. Then I can simply tell (by saying a word) the camera to shoot a pic while it hold it very still.

BlackGoku

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I will write a full review about Nokia 520 in abt a week.I want to write a review about this amazing low budget awesome quality phone.And also want to share some things which all Lumia 520 users should know.Great phone by the great Nokia.That's all for now.

Nishant Sirohi

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
planning to buy this
hope it treats me well. this shall be my second device in addition to my Galaxy Note2. I always keep 2 phones, my other phone is on life support now, so needed a new one. This is a very affordable device plus i shall get a new platform to play with.
shall buy it around diwali.
was looking for the 8s or 620, but 8s is expensive and 620 has a small battery
perhaps this is the best bet

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, my first post here...

Background:
Moved to Lumia 520 from HTC one V, about 2 weeks back. Have been using HTC / Android for little over a year. My usage on smart phones is primarily around Office e-mails (Exchange), personal mails, Excel files, Navigation, and Music. (In the order mentioned). I am not much of an apps person and had been using apps mainly related to banks where my accounts are, Youtube and couple of bus ticketing apps. Absolutely no games stuff, and facebook is always used in the comp.

What i liked about Lumia:
1. Phone performance is good; its fast, doesn't lag between screens. The HTC One V would take forever to switch between screens.
2. Navigation is pretty good too; locks the location pretty well and mostly within few a metres.
3. Easy to integrate Exchange accounts as both are Microsoft products.
4. Browsing is easy and feels familiar with IE [compared to HTC]
Well, unfortunately, that's where the 'like' list ends...

What i find difficult to agree and adjust to:
1. I need to have all my contacts info put on the internet - either with a hotmail / microsoft / exchange / any other email account.
This is my biggest grouse. There is no way to save some info on the phone / SD card which i do not want to sync with any online medium. Migrating the contacts from my prev phone was a huge pain. The 'transfer my data' feature in Lumia just added a bunch of <unnamed> entries with no numbers or email IDs along with it.
2. No way to transfer my text messages.
'Transfer my data' cannot help you here since transferring text messages works only between some other Nokia phones or other Windows phones.
3. Battery backup is 'pathetic' to say the least.
One of the reasons for moving to Nokia was the hope of having a better battery life per charge. That proved to be a myth right after the first charge. The phone was switched off in less than 24 hours. I gave the benefit of doubt since i have been playing around with the phone quite a bit to understand that. But the subsequent charges also dint do any good; with or without the battery saver ON, the phone will die in less than 24 hours if not put on charge. [I guess this is why there is an offer for a power bank with 720 and above Lumia models!]
4. No info on the internet usage.
I use a basic pack for internet, which is enough for my kind of usage. In my HTC, there was an option to see whats the current usage, and we could also set a cap to it. Of course this was only an approximate value measured by the phone; but it was very useful. In Lumia i don't find any option to see whats my data usage at all, or may be i don't know how to see that. Any help on this is appreciated.
5. Limited scope for customization
There are not many options i can customize...for eg; the call volume remain the same whether i connect the headset or not - HTC had an option to set them individually.
There are only 2 profiles available - Ring + Vibrate or Vibrate. There is no Ring only option. And this applies to everything from calls to notifications to alarms. In the night the phone vibrates under the pillow every time i receive an email!! There is no way i can set the phone to just beep (or blink) when i get an email and ring + vibrate when i get a call.
6. Contact picture not shown while you dial out. (Less significant, but still valid)
If there is a contact picture, it shows if that person calls you, but wouldn't show if you dial out to that person. Not that it's something critical, but an observation. Same way, the contact picture is not shown next to the SMSs you receive.
7. Screen

These are my observations after 2 weeks of usage. I may be wrong on some of the points because i am unaware of how to use that feature. Any help on those points will be helpful.

PS: I am not pro-Android or pro-Windows. I completely understand the fact the Windows and Android are worlds apart in their technology and philosophy, but this comparison is about the user-friendliness of these two specific models based on my experience with them.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Krishnakumar, are you using AT&T? Windows Phones do have a program called Data Sense that will track data usage; unfortunately AT&T (in the US) and some other carriers disable that feature. So that is a fault of your carrier, not the phone. The single volume control is an issue with Windows Phone -- I know there are plenty of people that dislike it (myself included) but blame Microsoft and not Nokia.

I think most would tell you that the lack of customization is a feature, not a negative but that ultimately comes down to personal preference. The idea here is that Windows Phone provides a common interface, so that all your apps will look similar, thus making them easier to navigate and to use. It is meant to be somewhere between the iPhone (which allows very little in terms of customization) and Android (where you can change everything), allowing you to customize your home screen so that you can see the information you want in a glance, and easily since it all is formatted similarly. While many love that Android lets you change everything, far more a just confused by the range of options and put off by the way all the apps (and widgets) look and act differently -- to a degree the lack of customization is what allows a low end Lumia 520 be much more responsive than a One V that cost twice as much when new. I'm not sure what your complaint is about the screen (my recollection is the One V and the 520 have similar screen sizes and resolutions), but I would remind you that you are talking about an extreme low end phone. The display on the Lumia 620 (the next higher model) has a "ClearBlack" display, which provides anti-glare properties (better in sunlight) and truer blacks on a similar sized screen.

It sounds like many of your other issues are set up issues. I believe, as you use your Lumia more, you will come to appreciate the likes, as well as the Navigation app (Here Drive) and the Music apps (both the WP and Nokia). If you use Pandora, I might also point out that you can get the hi quality music on your Windows Phone for the rest of the year, without needing a Pandora One upgrade. While the 520 isn't perfect, it is a great phone (probably the best I've seen) for this price range. Hopefully, Microsoft will update WP8 to allow for separate volume sliders, and our carriers will enable Data Sense.

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mogelijk, I am not using AT&T...I am in India and the carrier is Airtel. After reading your post, i spoke to the customer care to check if they know anything about Data Sense, but drew a blank. I checked in the app store too for this app, but couldn't find it.

I have listed the points in order of their importance to me, so the points 1-3 are the ones which i am absolutely disappointed about this phone and the rest of them are not really deal-breakers.

My point 7 - about the screen, was incomplete, and i submitted the post without realizing that. I wanted to put it up as an issue rather than a dislike. In fact i like the screen very much compared to HTC. Its quite clear in broad sunlight and is very responsive too. The issue i am facing with it is, at times (mostly on the locked screen) the screen keeps jumping around a bit, its not actually a flickering screen, but looks more like a slight shivering. i haven't noticed this while the phone is in use (on calls, apps, browsing etc). it just happens on the locked screen (as in, power button pressed->screen ON). Wanted to know if any other members have encountered this.

BTW, i tried transferring contacts and SMSs from my Wife's Nokia X2-02 to Lumia using 'Transfer my Data', and it worked like a charm. Looks like the incompatibility is purposely left unresolved by respective OS manufacturers (Read MS and Google) to ensure dependency :)

Debkant Sahu

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Friends please help me in Wifi.........

I have Wifi connection in Home... even i use Wifi in my Nokia N8 and Laptop.. In lumia 520... it show connected but Internet not working.
I contact with Nokia center and even send mail to nokia but its not helping... Any one can help me

Worcog

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Nokia Lumia 520, Im trying to connect it to our Wifi here at home. It finds our Router, then it asks to put in our Security Key, when I do it says its the wrong key, I know I put the right one in. but still does it. anyone have the same problem?

bluephantom12

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
listen , i need to know what will be the server in the accounts & email settings , cause it isn't letting me download anything
it is written there - account name , download email from , content to sync , user name , password , server ! and when i click on the accounts & email , microsoft , it writes "microsoft error" i click close & settings appear ! can somebody tell what would be the server or how to find it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills