Lumia 520 Purchases

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually the 521 on tmobile. I is less than 1/2 the price of the 810 off contract. Then it could be kept as a spare phone if I upgraded.

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If it's out by the start of May, I'll be gifting one to a brother for his birthday. Keeps complaining about his current phone - doesn't need much, and this fits the bill.

mp-asia

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up a new unlocked / unbranded / blue 520 in Bangkok yesterday. Being my third Windows Phone, I can say that for less that $200 you would be hard pressed to do better.

It is fast, real snappy to use and will make a great knock-about smartphone. They only had stock of 3G 900 / 2100 model, so not sure if that may affect other international users who may need 3G 850. It got 3 mbps download as soon as I put the sim in it.

My favourite, still remains my trusty DVP, but for bashing about...Most pleased to have this thing..

Chemilinski

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought one yesterday at Carphone Warehouse as it was ?99.99 on PAYG on O2, so had to get it super-quick as I couldn't let such a deal pass me by (like it did with the 620 on O2). However stock seems to not have actually come with the 520 release in the UK so I'm picking it up from the store on Thursday.

I've been wanting a Windows phone for ages so I'm ecstatic that I'm getting my first one now.
I'll post photos of it when I can!

Chemilinski

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
So I've been using my new phone today and I have been pretty impressed by it!

CIMG2059.JPG

CIMG2063.JPG

The moment I first touched the 520 I could tell that the plastic back was of a lower quality than you'd normally be used to, but doesn't feel so bad once I've got used to it. It feels a bit papery and soft to the touch, maybe then it isn't such a bad thing.
Also, again the screen is not as great as more expensive Lumias but it is still probably the best out of all the phones on the market going for the same price. The resolution is fine, and the colour reproduction is okay, but definitely doesn't have the punch of the 620 and upwards. This could be because of a cheaper LCD display being used or that it isn't ClearBlack. But having said this it's not at all washed-out and is quite smooth.

CIMG2064.JPG
CIMG2062.JPG
The viewing angles aren't too bad either.

WP_20130411_002.jpg
The camera isn't great, but it dealt with the backlight pretty admirably here. Note that the compression on this photo is quite severe so do not take it's quality as representative..

On the software side, it's same-old Windows Phone 8 with responsive and very pleasingly exactly as responsive as Lumias all the way up to the 720.
However, I have noticed there's no City Lens in this phone because of no gyroscope being present, which is quite a shame.

But overall, very pleased!

Last edited:

rohitvk

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few pics of Yellow Lumia 520 (with matte screen guard) that I bought for my sis :smile:
Purchased it online on eBay India for Rs. 9449 (after coupon), which roughly translates to $170.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Brian Chan1

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
This is by far the best low cost windows phone 8. With adequate specifications and build. However, just so you know, this phone bright colored cover is a snap on so do expect the cover to pop off the phone when it falls hard on any surface. I came from using an iPhone and BlackBerry. These devices are either screwed together or slide to place not a 'Snap on ' like this Lumia 520.
I love the design but the papery texture of the cover makes the phone very slippery to hold. Either make it glossy like the Lumia 620 dual-shot cover or a rubbery coating like the HTC 8S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3