Folder setup in lumia 520

WP Prospect

May 9, 2013
Visit site
All... Please help me decide or fix my mind on the lumia 520. I have been researching and looking around quite a bit already and some of the questions below are not satisfactorily answered anywhere. Forgive me if I have missed any answers here. Some of the questions may seem weird but please show the patience extende to all newbies :) I am currently a java touch user looking to upgrade. Obviously to a low end smartphone. And to my knowledge lumia 520 stands the best deal at 10. My concern has always been WP 8s functionality as compared to android. But a lot of that concern has been laid to rest with some basic research. So without further adieu here are the doubts I would like clarified. 1. FOLDER SYSTEMS, Specifically for video files and pictures that I would like only myself to access. With the WP photo and video app already picking up the files is this a possibility. Can I upload or download videos from the net and separate them into folders that only I can access and play with the media player.

WP Prospect

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why I was not able to compose my complete message in one post. There was a limit. Maybe because im doing this over a phone. . . My second question was something I saw that said downloads from internet explorer is not possible? Frankly I can't accept it at face value. So my question is just that. Can I download 3 gp videos from websites that provide direct download links? Also files like documents from direct download links. Is there a problem there? If so would there be an app for downloads only? My 3rd question was in regards to the messaging QUWERTY keypad. Is that REALLY the only option? I mean won't I have a choice of the regular KEYPAD type keypad? I mean what about T9 or smoother facility that serves the same purpose? Im a heavy t9 user. If this phone only has a regular keyboard it may take me ages to get used to messaging. Thank you all in advance for all the help. :)

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey there! Firstly, welcome to the forum! :D

I understand how you're feeling right now, when I first arrived here I was a newb too asking tons of questions about WP :p

Although I still don't have my new WP8 smartphone just yet, I think I have done enough research to give you *fairly* accurate answers - better than nothing!

So to your first question, no, I don't imagine you can. Windows Phone does not have file manager permissions allowed on it for security reasons. (Android phones are much more vulnerable) So if you put a file in your phone, you would need a specific app that can open and browse for that app to open it. But for photos and videos though, the stock gallery app will have a section called albums, where your photos are sorted according to their folder. I imagine for videos it would be the same (like music and photos is), although I haven't really checked this.

For your second question, I also have not tried that out obviously, but I have done extensive research on Windows Phone 8 in the past two months, and I can safely say this problem has never ever popped out on the internet, so likely doesn't exist. I think what you read was that after downloading files the user was unable to find the file on their phone because of the lack of file manager.

Lastly, I don't think there is a keypad keyboard option, because I have never seen someone have it on their WP phone. But then again I haven't checked. But if it doesn't have the ketpad, don't worry, you'll get used to the qwerty keyboard soon enough, and you'll be zipping away faster than ever on it! I mean, the maximum presses for ANY symbol and character is TWO. AT the start your typing might be slow like mine was when I got my first smartphone, but then you'll get used to it quickly. And the WP keyboard is VERY accurate indeed, so don't worry.

And lastly, no, this is technically in the right forum, but since the questions you are asking are about Windows Phone 8 operating system in general, it would be better to post it there as more people visit there :)

Cheers!

WP Prospect

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Cheewi ... Thank you for that detailed yet concise help. It indeed was a ton of help. I just needed to know a bit more about that albums feature. That would serve my purpose to keep different videos and picturesq separate. With a bit more research I hope to find maybe a lock or permissions option for said albums which is basically my intention. Also im very glad to know my second issue was unwarranted:) concerning the keypad I guess you are right. Im definitely on the verge of taking the plunge here and so far the cons are definitely minimal in my view. Again thank you so much for your valued time:) I would like to keep this thread open just in case any other helpful minds have ideas to share... :)

lin0x

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
WP makes it easy so you have no need to arrange the files , they are automatically detected and sorted according to their supported applications.

WP Prospect

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you... My concern with that is very simply, what can I do with files or pictures that I don't want my girl or family members to see with just a few flicks. You know, very private stuff. What can I do about those files is my concern. I know about the kids corner but I can be hardly expect to leave it like that if I need to share it with one of the adults. I know this is a long shot, but im still hoping there is a workaround to this somewhere in WP. . . Thank you again:)

Muzz8

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Here's my thing ....
I've had mobile phones right from the early days of the Mercury One2One handsets. Since texting began I have ALWAYS chosen Nokias because of the ease of predictive texting on a T9 keypad - I can hold the phone in my right hand & text with my right thumb & knock out long texts (with complete words & punctuation) in no time at all.
I've had a go with my mates' Sony/Erics, Motorolas, IPhones & the gorgeous Samsungs. But they all have a stupid system of having to scroll through suggested words to find the word you want.
I like my T9 keyboard - with physical keys or touchscreen. Very happy with my last 2 previous phones wonderful X6 Smartphone & the N8. (I dropped it & the screen cracked & I also had to push a ball-point pen in the side to unlock the screen, otherwise I would have held onto them.)

My current contract being "up", I've upgraded to the 520. I HATE IT.
I mean, I LOVE the phone... light, beautiful design, & the icons drift across the screen effortlessly with a touch - unlike the icons that used to "jump" at your finger when you touched the screen.
It's a beautiful phone. But I am not into the 160,000 apps which apparently you can have. I want a phone that calls folk, texts folk, has a radio & takes pics.
Ok.. here are my problems with the 520 ....
1) It has a different charger plug/socket - ok it's only a niggle but it means I've got to buy new ones & get a new one for the car.
2) THERE IS NO FM RADIO !! I use my radio a lot especially when I am travelling - coaches, trains, laying in the sun abroad etc etc.
Even the basic old cheap phones had an FM Radio. This is a BIG step back for me. There are no plans for an FM Radio app because there is no built-in antenna so it wouldn't work anyway.
3) Windows phones are NOT compatible with Nokia Suite. I had to contact TMobile to activate my new micro-sim card, which meant deleting the one in my old phone, so I downloaded all the contacts to my pc via Nokia Suite (as I would pics & messages etc.) before TMobile deleted the contents of the old card. Great. But now, because the new phone is not compatible with Nokia Suite, I cannot upload all my contacts onto the new sim & will have to input all 183 of them MANUALLY ! So, until I do, I cannot phone anyone !
4) There is NO T9 text keypad. It is qwerty & I HATE IT. Folk say it will take time to get used to it. But my fingers press 2 keys at the same time & I have to keep deleting words & correcting them. It took me over 10minutes to type & send 2 sentences to a mate. I use my phone for texting more than anything else & the T9 keypad is the ONLY reason I have stuck with Nokia all these years. Cannot believe that they have taken away the option to change the look of the keypad.
5) Being a Windows phone, everything comes through Microsoft, so it's kinda complicated to even do emails or search the net.

I'm contacting my supplier &, either they will have to take it back & give me last year's N8 or I will buy a 2nd hand one on Ebay (?50) & sell my 520 for about ?120 (it's ?175 new). That sounds like a better option. Either way, there is no way I am keeping it. Lovely phone, but useless to me - it does not do the basic stuff I need it to.

Muzz8

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Here's my thing ....
I've had mobile phones right from the early days of the Mercury One2One handsets. Since texting began I have ALWAYS chosen Nokias because of the ease of predictive texting on a T9 keypad - I can hold the phone in my right hand & text with my right thumb & knock out long texts (with complete words & punctuation) in no time at all.
I've had a go with my mates' Sony/Erics, Motorolas, IPhones & the gorgeous Samsungs. But they all have a stupid system of having to scroll through suggested words to find the word you want.
I like my T9 keyboard - with physical keys or touchscreen. Very happy with my last 2 previous phones wonderful X6 Smartphone & the N8. (I dropped it & the screen cracked & I also had to push a ball-point pen in the side to unlock the screen, otherwise I would have held onto them.)

My current contract being "up", I've upgraded to the 520. I HATE IT.
I mean, I LOVE the phone... light, beautiful design, & the icons drift across the screen effortlessly with a touch - unlike the icons that used to "jump" at your finger when you touched the screen.
It's a beautiful phone. But I am not into the 160,000 apps which apparently you can have. I want a phone that calls folk, texts folk, has a radio & takes pics.
Ok.. here are my problems with the 520 ....
1) It has a different charger plug/socket - ok it's only a niggle but it means I've got to buy new ones & get a new one for the car.
2) THERE IS NO FM RADIO !! I use my radio a lot especially when I am travelling - coaches, trains, laying in the sun abroad etc etc.
Even the basic old cheap phones had an FM Radio. This is a BIG step back for me. There are no plans for an FM Radio app because there is no built-in antenna so it wouldn't work anyway.
3) Windows phones are NOT compatible with Nokia Suite. I had to contact TMobile to activate my new micro-sim card, which meant deleting the one in my old phone, so I downloaded all the contacts to my pc via Nokia Suite (as I would pics & messages etc.) before TMobile deleted the contents of the old card. Great. But now, because the new phone is not compatible with Nokia Suite, I cannot upload all my contacts onto the new sim & will have to input all 183 of them MANUALLY ! So, until I do, I cannot phone anyone !
4) There is NO T9 text keypad. It is qwerty & I HATE IT. Folk say it will take time to get used to it. But my fingers press 2 keys at the same time & I have to keep deleting words & correcting them. It took me over 10minutes to type & send 2 sentences to a mate. I use my phone for texting more than anything else & the T9 keypad is the ONLY reason I have stuck with Nokia all these years. Cannot believe that they have taken away the option to change the look of the keypad.
5) Being a Windows phone, everything comes through Microsoft, so it's kinda complicated to even do emails or search the net.

And - again a small thing, but I wonder WHY?... there is no flash for the camera.

I'm contacting my supplier &, either they will have to take it back & give me last year's N8 or I will buy a 2nd hand one on Ebay (?50) & sell my 520 for about ?120 (it's ?175 new). That sounds like a better option. Either way, there is no way I am keeping it. Lovely phone, but useless to me - it does not do the basic stuff I need it to.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't know where you paid ?175 for it, I just bought one in o2 shop for ?119.99 on Saturday, so if yours selling second hand you may have to lower the price, even on Amazon they are as low as ?124 unlocked. Jim

Vivek Leonard

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I purchased a Nokia Lumia 520 from Flipkart on July 6th,2013.I am not able to have my Windows 8 laptop detect it at all. I have connected it through the supplied USB cable as well as other USB cables, but the system just does not detect the 520. I have tried the following:
1. Force restart the phone when connected to the laptop
2. Uninstall and reinstall the WP8 app on my laptop, both the desktop version and the W8 app version
3. Tried looking for the phone in the "Devices & Printers" section, no luck there too
I am totally psyched out, as the other phone I had bought from Flipkart also stopped working in less than a day's time... an Sony Xperia ZL :(. Anyways, they're replacing the Xperia ZL, I just want to know what to do with this Lumia 520 now (which is otherwise working ok).

Any help, is totally required please.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Vlad Bocean

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I recently acquired a Lumia 520 and the first impression is that I love it. @Muzz8- there is this trend that HTC, Samsung and Nokia announced a few years back saying all mobile terminal companies are trying to "impose" an universal charger. That way, it would be simpler to ask for a charger from an Apple, Alcatel, Nokia or Huawei consumer rather than having 10 options to choose from. Indeed, there is no FM Radio, but there is always the chance of downloading an app doing just that. The responsibility comes with the territory in what new smartphones are concerned.

I just have a question that it has been rather bothering me: how can I have the three "back", "windows menu" and "search" buttons at the bottom of the phone lighten during the night? I have been searching the menu, but I haven't found the solution yet. And still, at night, I have to guess where those buttons are. It's not a vital function, I am sure I'll get used to it but it would be nice to have it nevertheless. Thanks and enjoy your new terminal :).

Deepika Goru

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello, My first impression with lumia 520 is that i simply loved the way it is. But soon enough, it started troubling me with what people are saying it doesn't have a file manager... I don't know what to do and I can't find downloaded music files in my phone. Is there any option to show downloads or is there any way i can find the folder??
Please help me.. :(
Detailed explanation might be nice...

Krishna Appur

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, This is my first experience with WP, I can say that its pretty much good but not upto the satisfactory level. It disappointed me when I come to know that there's no File manager included. I cant see and share any files which I downloaded from the internet. my main concern is for videos, after watching videos from Facebook and Wassapp, i cant locate its path where its downloaded nd that thing is very much annoying to me...

It also charges to download the Music from Nokia Music right after the three month of the purchase.

If anyone knows the solution for the FOLDER SETUP from where i can save and share Photos and Videos than plzzz do help me out, Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234