Would you recommend the 520 to someone coming from Blackberry?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Blackberry 9790 now, and when I first got it I almost got the 8X instead (except I don't like Rogers and was leaving Bell). Koodo currently has the 520, and i'm thinking of switching over instead of waiting for BB10. I've been fairly happy with the 9790 (best phone I've owned so far, which isn't saying that much...), but I'm thinking of essentially standardizing on Windows 8/WP8. I'm not considering Android or iOS, because I simply don't trust either.

I guess my major questions are:

How sturdy is it? do you think it will last?
How is the battery life?
Are there any fun free games? not ones with plot and glorious graphics, but something fun to play when I have a moment and I won't get bored of or "finish" quickly.

Thanks.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I came from BlackBerry to Windows Phone and I love it. I had an all touch blackberry with no keyboard so I adjusted pretty easily. The question for you would be do you need the keyboard? If not, then go for it! :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral. :smile: I remember you from CrackBerry.

I'm not familiar with the 520, but I'm sure that some other folks will be able to answer your questions that are specific to the 520.

Regarding games: what kinds of games do you like? If you like word games, Wordament is a really nice free game.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So far all i've been playing is brick breaker and lightbulb. I have fun playing Jetpack joyride on my laptop, and I think it's available for WP; not sure if the lower specced 520 can play it though.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
520 (521) is a great phone. I can't tell you about the battery as I don't use the cellular portion of the phone. I could see the plastic back cracking from a big fall but that is just a guess. As far as games, there are plenty of time wasters! Games in general run well. I ran Angry Birds and Sonic CD without issues.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of games that will run on the 520 that are fun.

WP does not have Jetback Joyride just yet (we know, we know).

It's time to switch. You'll love it :)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Jetpack Joyride is not available yet, but in progress. If you can live without a keyboard, then YES, YES ,YES, go for 520. Bigger screen, better camera, inexpensive, and best of all, NokiaSupport.

You won't regret. I tried a friends 520 and it feels, performance wise, exactly like my 8x. Some apps take slightly longer to load. You barely notice the difference. He says battery is really good and gets even better with time.

Games are pretty good compared to what you described playing on your old BB. Some games go free a d you missed alot this past month or so. There are plenty of free apps. Just go to windowsphone.com. or Nokia.com and check out the apps and exclusive ones.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm selling my playbook, and I think I will use the money towards the 520. I do have to wait for Koodo to actually launch it, and i think i will ask about their return policy and how i can switch back to my old phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs