No Glance Screen for Lumia 520: is it worth the wait?

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Glance screen on my 520 but now that Nokia has confirmed its unavailability on the device, I am highly disappointed. I was highly fond of Windows Phone and Nokia until this confirmation landed like a bomb. Now I am trying to shift paths. Is this the kind of support we get from Nokia - partiality? Couldn't they come up with a feature that would be available on all devices? Is the update worth the wait now?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
To assume every feature will be available on every device is insane. The 520 is a budget phone and has budget features. Nokia made a very well performing phone for a great price. Why complain? If you wanted more features buy a better equipped phone.

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah its dissapointing that lumia 520 wont get glance screen, since even asha 501 has that double tap to wake up the phone and that costs less than 100 dollar, but anyway amber update is not only about glance screen, u will get some nice things like bt4 support, fm radio ( u get fm radio and lumia 620 owners wont get that even so they have paid more, so sometimes it is like that, some devices cant get something particular.

I hope ur are fine with that even though i hoped glance came for all lumias even 7.8 ones too.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Glance screen on my 520 but now that Nokia has confirmed its unavailability on the device, I am highly disappointed. I was highly fond of Windows Phone and Nokia until this confirmation landed like a bomb. Now I am trying to shift paths. Is this the kind of support we get from Nokia - partiality? Couldn't they come up with a feature that would be available on all devices? Is the update worth the wait now?
The 520 screen doesn't have ClearBlack.
To ask for Glance on this kind of screen is crazy. For instance, the only Symbian^3 phone that had an LCD screen was the 701. It had the Sleeping Screen. It also had ClearBlack.

Sydney Cooper

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Also glance contains some features that probably require sensors on the front of the phone (peek feature for example). Since the 520 has none of these sensors on the front (front facing camera) there really isn't a way for glance to be fully capable on the 520. At least that's the way it seems. Not really sure why you're so surprised by this. Plus, this phone is a steal at $130 and you will be getting most of the other features in the GRD2 update. Be happy you have such a great device for so little $$$$

Rowan2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
As a recent 520 owner it's disappointing but understandable. They really do need to differentiate between the lower line products especially the 520 v 620. For me personally it is still worth waiting as isn't the camera supposed to be improved as well?

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Also glance contains some features that probably require sensors on the front of the phone (peek feature for example). Since the 520 has none of these sensors on the front (front facing camera) there really isn't a way for glance to be fully capable on the 520. At least that's the way it seems. Not really sure why you're so surprised by this. Plus, this phone is a steal at $130 and you will be getting most of the other features in the GRD2 update. Be happy you have such a great device for so little $$$$

As far as I have known and read, the peek feature works with the proximity sensor. And I believe the lumia 520 has it. So why not that either? At least peek would have been awesome. If I am not wrong, peek is related to hovering your hand over the phone and getting a glimpse of the clock.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'll love it when I get it but right now I don't understand the hype

Sent from something UHMAYZING using Tapatalk

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'll love it when I get it but right now I don't understand the hype

Sent from something UHMAYZING using Tapatalk

It's not about the hype, it's about the negligence. I just said that Nokia could have manoeuvred it such a way as to fit the bills of all customers, not just a part of the crowd. I just feel sad that I won't be getting such an awesome feature. Well, does doing away with Glance feature means leaving out double-tap to wake and "hover" as well?

Viktar H

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Also glance contains some features that probably require sensors on the front of the phone (peek feature for example). Since the 520 has none of these sensors on the front (front facing camera)
The 520 screen doesn't have ClearBlack.
AT&T's Nokia 520 has no ffc and no clear black, but has taptap and glans screen. Asha 501 costs 100$ and has both too.
So nor the ffc is the deciding factor, nor the clear black, nor the device cost, just some bad marketing decisions.

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
AT&T's Nokia 520 has no ffc and no clear black, but has taptap and glans screen. Asha 501 costs 100$ and has both too.
So nor the ffc is the deciding factor, nor the clear black, nor the device cost, just some bad marketing decisions.

Nokia has actually stated that the Lumia 520 from AT&T that came with Amber off the bat has different hardware.
Whether we believe or not, is a different story.

LSDigital

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It IS a big deal if you had it in the last 2 to 3 years on your symbian. At least they should've made a simpler version with just the peak option.
My guess is that 520 can't light only the screen leds underneath the clock (maybe it isn't even leds), assuming others can. thus the hardware limitations.
afterall, 520 lock/unlock button seems to go dead in every couple of months :(

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Now the 520 has Double Tap to Wake. It still doesn't have Glance because it can't. If you want that, get the 620.

Someone please close this thread.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
So you loved your L520, but now because of one thing lacking, you are trying to shift pants ?

The feature is not all that important imo. I can't say I actually miss it on my L520 at all or ever will...
Not having a flash is much worse imo, and still I don't even miss that one, cause the pics are very decent even without.
Camera Beta also fills that gap very well with its added adjustability for taking snaps.

I find that Lumia Black has much other neat things for L520 that are more usefull than glance, like double tap and sms tones.
Those I would have missed.
Sure glance is a neat little feature, but it doesn't hurt not having it, and it wouldn't have made the L520 experience any better really.

For the money I spent on this phone, this time I got more than what I bargained for, for sure !
With my previous phone, the L710, that wasn't the case. That phone really SUCKED b**ls and cost 3 times the L520.

Don't jump to conclusions because of one little detail. Weigh the pro's angainst the cons, and then make up your mind in a realistical manner.
That's all I can advise for OP...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3